TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:26:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Photos  (Read 139864 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2005, 10:33:01 PM »

Well, I don't sell Croppers photos. But I do appreciate constructive criticism.

Know the limit of your (telephoto) lens & don't try for targets too far away.....

Oh, and people's backs do not make good photos.... Grin

[the latter above comment was aimed at Andy L's request for constructive criticism, and NOT Keith's photo directly above, in which I can only (just) see one back. This original post was being typed as Keith posted his photo, which was not visible when I previewed my post]

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2005, 10:52:13 PM »

Know the limit of your (telephoto) lens & don't try for targets too far away.....

For goodness sake Chris, please lighten up.  If I want to take one of people's backs getting wet in the rain I will.

We don't all want to show / take perfect photos of beautiful lighting with huge lenses, sometimes real life is more interesting  Undecided

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2005, 11:00:48 PM »

Please read my edited comment in the post that you refer to.....it wasn't addressed to / at you at all.

Personally, I wouldn't publicly 'slag off' any amateur photographer, for the simple reason that we're all amateurs. But by putting your photos up for sale, I reckon that makes you fair game for criticism.

tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2005, 11:23:51 PM »

Actually they do if they are sufficiently atmospheric. And remember, the most comerciailly successful photo ever taken was of someone's back.

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2005, 11:26:09 PM »

iwasnt particularly disappointed with the wobble pics,mr wardle's not that good looking,but when you stick snaps up on the tinterweb youd think fotos labelled jah wobble would actually feature more than his suit and hat
 btw was it Fairport acoustic? because  i never saw Gerry either

The Dude abides
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2005, 11:27:03 PM »

We don't all want to show / take perfect photos of beautiful lighting with huge lenses, sometimes real life is more interesting  Undecided
[/quote]
Too right. I can't be bothered with more and more photos of Fairport and the gang myself. I'd much rathr view idosyncratic crowd shots.

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2005, 11:30:27 PM »

However, there are those for whom it is their best side Grin Grin Grin

Mic - mentioning no names, but I can see my reflection in the pc screen Lips Sealed

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2005, 11:36:49 PM »

Chris, you added the quote, and the comment in square brackets after I had posted my response.

I do stand by my feelings though - I like the atmosphere of Andy's photos, they make you feel like you are in the crowd amongst friends which is what Cropredy is all about.

And as for peoples' backs not making good photos, well this may not be a great photo, but how does it make you feel?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2005, 11:57:19 PM »

I do stand by my feelings though - I like the atmosphere of Andy's photos, they make you feel like you are in the crowd amongst friends which is what Cropredy is all about.
Well I ain't going to buy any, but I think they are the best Cropredy collection I've seen in a long time. Well worth a gander!

Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #129 on: August 22, 2005, 01:30:32 AM »

My photos are definately private reminders only, but I like all the ones of backs/flags/umberellas, cos that's where I was last weekend!
- oh and my 'private reminder' favourite is of Chris on the VIP side of the barrier completely swathed in mac and plastic!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2005, 10:17:59 AM »

Chris, you added the quote, and the comment in square brackets after I had posted my response.

Indeed, as an explanation to your post...

I do stand by my feelings though - I like the atmosphere of Andy's photos, they make you feel like you are in the crowd amongst friends which is what Cropredy is all about

Indeed again. I like Andy's photos a lot.

If you read back up the thread, you'll see that my first comment about photos of people's backs was made in reference to a different (pro) photographer, who featured them rather heavily on his website. Hence the smilie when I repeated the 'advice' in response to Andy's call for constructive criticism. The only photographs that I criticised were those of that McNairn.com pro guy.

And as for peoples' backs not making good photos, well this may not be a great photo, but how does it make you feel?

It's a moody shot, made as much by the face as well as the back. Either on their own wouldn't be as good a shot.

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »

Oh my god.......................what happened?  Embarrassed .................Run for the hills!! Oh well too late to worry about it now!
Good one of Peggy and deebee BTW

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2005, 11:37:44 AM »

Where's me Fez gone? Huh Grin

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2005, 11:42:14 AM »

Is this McNairn chappie a board member or something?

Perhaps he is a disgruntled member of "that other place" who has turned to stalking this board's members - there do seem to be an unusually high proportion of photos featuring august (and otherwise) members of this institution. Shocked

I feature a couple of times (how embarrassing are those photos) and Dave and Randle feature too.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2005, 01:42:48 PM »

Someone has just looked over my shoulder and said that someone can't publish a photo of someone without their permission- infringement of human rights???Does anyone know if this this correct and what if BD Olly etc don't like their image being seen around the world- is there anything they could do. Roll Eyes

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2005, 01:51:06 PM »

Good point Tasha, htis did cross my mind.  Personally I'm not that bothered by somebody putting up a photo of me on the 'net.
What would bother me is if that the image was then used to make money. (Not that anybody in their right mind would buy a photo my  ugly mug!) without asking permission.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
volario

Loc: Chorley, Lancashire

« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2005, 01:53:05 PM »

Someone has just looked over my shoulder and said that someone can't publish a photo of someone without their permission- infringement of human rights???Does anyone know if this this correct and what if BD Olly etc don't like their image being seen around the world- is there anything they could do. Roll Eyes

I think this just refers to children? I know we can't photo's at our daughter's nativity with prior permission from the school.
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2005, 01:57:06 PM »

I think this just refers to children? I know we can't photo's at our daughter's nativity with prior permission from the school.

Thats a different matter.

The Nanny state discourages all photography of children other than at private (i.e. at home) functions because obviously if you want to record your little one's performances in School plays and the like you MUST be a paedophile.

Absolute cobblers, of course.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2005, 02:04:30 PM »

There's a big debate in a few photography magazines at the moment about the "effects" of showing people in photographs.  It's very strict in London in particular - I'd have to get the magazines out for more information.

Anyway, none of my pictures of Talkawhile members are for sale.  If anybody wants me to remove their face from my gallery then please let me know and I will do so.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2005, 02:06:53 PM »

Anyway, none of my pictures of Talkawhile members are for sale.  If anybody wants me to remove their face from my gallery then please let me know and I will do so.

Heck No!!!! everybody deserves some comic relief, leave mine there sweets Grin Grin

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: