TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:02:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1091979 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2060 on: January 11, 2024, 11:45:59 AM »

According to Rock n Reel magazine Fairport have reissued their first four albums. In the review there's no mention of bonus tracks etc and I can't see anything on the band's website so am wondering why these albums have been reissued. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Just the usual bog standard vinyl reissues that everyone is doing at the moment, aren't they? http://www.proper-records.co.uk/2023/05/fairport-convention-vinyl-re-issues/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2061 on: January 11, 2024, 11:47:04 AM »

Does anybody here have a genuine 2003 Cropredy tee (i.e. one they either bought themselves at the time or know some other way to be real)?

If you do, can you let me know (or post a pic) what the label says - Make, and where made etc.

Many thanks...I'm trying to convince my suspicious mind that something is what it is claimed to be Smiley

I didn't do 2003 or 2004, but the 2002 and 2005 shirts were made by Gildan, as were some others about that time. Some of them also have made in Honduras on them, but not all.
This isn't one of mine, but it's what they look like.

Thanks, Mike - I think that settles it in the affirmative.  Much appreciated Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2062 on: January 11, 2024, 11:55:15 AM »

According to Rock n Reel magazine Fairport have reissued their first four albums. In the review there's no mention of bonus tracks etc and I can't see anything on the band's website so am wondering why these albums have been reissued. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Just the usual bog standard vinyl reissues that everyone is doing at the moment, aren't they? http://www.proper-records.co.uk/2023/05/fairport-convention-vinyl-re-issues/

I guess so. There's also a write-up of a vinyl reissue of Lindisfarne's Fog on the Tyne though there's not much about the actual music and more the reviewer having a moan about how the band have been overlooked in recent years despite the Geordie Genius documentary.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #2063 on: January 11, 2024, 02:43:44 PM »

Does anybody here have a genuine 2003 Cropredy tee (i.e. one they either bought themselves at the time or know some other way to be real)?

If you do, can you let me know (or post a pic) what the label says - Make, and where made etc.

Many thanks...I'm trying to convince my suspicious mind that something is what it is claimed to be Smiley

I didn't do 2003 or 2004, but the 2002 and 2005 shirts were made by Gildan, as were some others about that time. Some of them also have made in Honduras on them, but not all.

Thanks, Mike - I think that settles it in the affirmative.  Much appreciated Smiley

I didn't do 2003, but have the 2004 tshirt that I can confirm was also made by Gildan
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #2064 on: January 11, 2024, 03:37:03 PM »

so no need for me to check tonight then David?

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2065 on: January 11, 2024, 04:13:20 PM »

so no need for me to check tonight then David?

Thanks, Tasha...no need, but I do encourage you to check on the whereabouts and safety of your cherished memorabilia  Wink Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2066 on: January 11, 2024, 04:18:02 PM »

Does anybody know anything about Jerry's condition?  I've never followed any social media accounts linked to him (like his daughter or whatever) but I often think about the old gun slinger especially when I've just been watching or listening to him play.  If he was the second best guitarist in the band, it wasn't by much, was it....

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2067 on: January 12, 2024, 10:13:18 AM »

Does anybody know anything about Jerry's condition?  I've never followed any social media accounts linked to him (like his daughter or whatever) but I often think about the old gun slinger especially when I've just been watching or listening to him play.  If he was the second best guitarist in the band, it wasn't by much, was it....

The last update I saw (some time ago) was that his condition wouldn't change for the better, sadly.  I suppose no news is no bad news, but he'll never return to public life (he can't speak, amongst other afflictions).

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2068 on: January 12, 2024, 10:23:51 AM »

The last update I saw (some time ago) was that his condition wouldn't change for the better, sadly.  I suppose no news is no bad news, but he'll never return to public life (he can't speak, amongst other afflictions).

That's so grim.  I'm not worried about him playing live or anything but being unable to speak etc. must be unbearable...

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2069 on: January 12, 2024, 11:03:41 AM »

Mine is genuine and has two labels in the neck. One is just washing instructions, the other says Activewear  Ultra Cotton Heavyweight , all in capitals. Nothing else.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2070 on: January 12, 2024, 01:41:06 PM »

Activewear is a Gildan brand name.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Peter Allen

« Reply #2071 on: January 14, 2024, 08:17:48 PM »

Does anybody know anything about Jerry's condition?  

I bought a copy of Rising For The Moon yesterday in Vinyl Exchange, Manchester,  which Jerry had signed 3 times
Is this a record ?  
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2072 on: January 14, 2024, 09:24:38 PM »

I'm sorry, but somebody has to.

If it's big and black, it's a record.

If it's small and silver, it's a CD.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2073 on: January 14, 2024, 10:58:52 PM »

But they're all "records". They're all recordings.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2074 on: January 14, 2024, 11:05:28 PM »

Jules

Maybe.
Personally, I have a record collection and a CD collection and a tape collection and a VHS collection and a DVD collection. They're all recordings.
I also have a medical record, but it doesn't sound too good.
(It's not Dr Feelgood, Dr Hook, Doctor And The Medics etc.)

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2075 on: January 15, 2024, 08:30:06 AM »

Jules

Maybe.
Personally, I have a record collection and a CD collection and a tape collection and a VHS collection and a DVD collection. They're all recordings.

Aye, I've never once called a CD a record.  It's just not.  I've never called a record a vinyl either, but that's a whole other battle to be fought (& well and truly lost as well).

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2076 on: January 15, 2024, 10:52:42 PM »

Jules

Maybe.

Aye, I've never once called a CD a record.  It's just not.  I've never called a record a vinyl either, but that's a whole other battle to be fought (& well and truly lost as well).

Interesting distinction that first one. I am pretty certain that in conversation I have referred to a band or artist's "new record" even when the medium that I have bought it on was CD, especially in that early transitional period between the two formats.

I may even have said, "I have their new record on CD" on occasion, the word record being somewhat interchangeable with album for a while.

I have never referred to vinyls though. Albums in that form are LPs.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2077 on: January 30, 2024, 01:12:07 PM »

New live album:

A special treat for everyone coming to our live shows this year - starting with the Winter Tour next week. We have a new CD available recorded live on our October 2023 tour.

Recorded by Paul Smith and mixed & mastered by John Gale at Galeforce Sound in Ireland.

The new CD "A Live Recording - UK Tour October 2023" - features 17 tracks for just £10.

See you at the merch stand!

Tracks are -

1 Cider Rain    

2 Royal Seleccion No 13.  

3 Banks of the Sweet Primroses.  

4 Bankruptured.  

5 The Year of Fifty Nine

6 Lalla Rookh.  

7 Festival Bell.  

8 Steampunkery.  

9 Honour and Praise.  

10 My Love is in America.  

11 Moses Waits.  

12 The Happy Man.  

13 Portmeirion.  

14 John Gaudie.  

15 Who Knows Where The Time Goes?

16 Matty Groves.  

17 Meet On The Ledge.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2078 on: January 30, 2024, 01:15:55 PM »

As Brenda from Bristol may say ...

What - another one?

DW

New live album:

A special treat for everyone coming to our live shows this year - starting with the Winter Tour next week. We have a new CD available recorded live on our October 2023 tour.

Recorded by Paul Smith and mixed & mastered by John Gale at Galeforce Sound in Ireland.

The new CD "A Live Recording - UK Tour October 2023" - features 17 tracks for just £10.

See you at the merch stand!

Tracks are -

1 Cider Rain    

2 Royal Seleccion No 13.  

3 Banks of the Sweet Primroses.  

4 Bankruptured.  

5 The Year of Fifty Nine

6 Lalla Rookh.  

7 Festival Bell.  

8 Steampunkery.  

9 Honour and Praise.  

10 My Love is in America.  

11 Moses Waits.  

12 The Happy Man.  

13 Portmeirion.  

14 John Gaudie.  

15 Who Knows Where The Time Goes?

16 Matty Groves.  

17 Meet On The Ledge.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2079 on: January 30, 2024, 01:20:47 PM »

Great, it was a fab gig, looking forward to this very much.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: