TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:06:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1091932 times)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #1940 on: August 22, 2023, 11:40:04 AM »

I just found this badge on eBay.  Anybody know anything about it/can date it/recognise the font from anything?

[Rubbish photo from seller are all I have until I get it]

Not seen it before. Looks like the graphic style Gong used.

when i was a kid our local record shop would make up badges for any band that you wanted. i had loads on my leather Jacket. ( i wonder where they went)
It could just be an amateur run but I've got a feeling I've seen the graphic before.  Can't place it though.
Badge machines are quite cheap and graphics easy to find online. Not saying this a fake though. I know someone who made a lot for school fetes and the like.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1941 on: August 22, 2023, 01:48:17 PM »

Is everybody else as unconvinced by these signatures as I am?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385992389761?hash=item59def07481:g:5QcAAOSwMc9iW~EA&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8PfBs4OjfqyxFCJhGCxOe3K%2F%2FYjkZMM8nRZ8aG9905kX6FlZXhLpmyz23%2BvTjpS02ihU8MAOFbAptwaaMSx7TXAzk0UkslAZiYapBWOL4VigH2gu%2Bi3G8jBxzMrlxR8IlPHbukhD2XVE9dmsfQqX8VUsyUeDaPYUJhKtz7a9Ud4a%2FHCbk5%2F03YXUz8Uu5yYSleYal1U0eJNejjYD2LcTxrQdrJ6yQRg7QeW9FxN7o2zlOtpbXyqIWhqgQWSTimo%2BBsieP%2FvzvLwmh1rzE0dGU3we1AjWkoG05pxC1nYNZA%2BF32y1Wztt2VXdWvHoI9HhkA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_bVudTDYg

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #1942 on: August 22, 2023, 02:29:38 PM »

The Gerry Donahue one looks okay (going by other signatures I've seen - the distinctive G and overall look) but the Dave Pegg and Swarb ones look a bit too neat and tidy. The blurb states signed at various Fairport gigs yet all seemingly in the same pen. I suppose they could have all been given the same pen to use by whoever obtained the signatures but I know what you mean, they don't ring true somehow.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1943 on: August 22, 2023, 02:59:26 PM »

The Gerry Donahue one looks okay (going by other signatures I've seen - the distinctive G and overall look) but the Dave Pegg and Swarb ones look a bit too neat and tidy. The blurb states signed at various Fairport gigs yet all seemingly in the same pen. I suppose they could have all been given the same pen to use by whoever obtained the signatures but I know what you mean, they don't ring true somehow.

Distinctive J?  Getting your Gerry's and Jerry's mixed up there, I think... Wink  I'm never convinced by everyone using the same pen in the same venue, let alone at multiple ones and at different times.  Someone was trying to convince me some '72 Lizzy signatures were all signed with Sharpies. Although the pens existed I very much doubt musicians were signing with them in Dublin at the time.  The vast majority of signatures until well into the 90s were surely with 'biros' - at least in my experience.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter Allen

« Reply #1944 on: August 22, 2023, 03:00:30 PM »

Jerry , not Gerry, looks wrong as does the Swarb and Peggy usually adds a comment
But the pen puts me off , these people haven't been at the same event in a long time , so you'd expect to see different pen/ink used

Has anyone heard how Jerry is recently ?
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1945 on: August 22, 2023, 03:06:29 PM »

There used to be a seller on eBay called Palm Records that sold only signed vinyl.

Of particular interest was a signed Elvis Presley record, which was a compilation that came out in 1982.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1946 on: August 22, 2023, 03:06:36 PM »

Something I wonder about often.  Much missed from the stage... I sincerely hope he has some quality of life.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1947 on: August 22, 2023, 03:08:01 PM »

There used to be a seller on eBay called Palm Records that sold only signed vinyl.

Of particular interest was a signed Elvis Presley record, which was a compilation that came out in 1982.

There really are some morons out there in eBay-land.  Most of them, however, are buyers...you'd be amazed the clearly fake rubbish (but it has a COA!!) that sells for silly money...

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1948 on: August 22, 2023, 03:17:41 PM »

There really are some morons out there in eBay-land.  Most of them, however, are buyers...you'd be amazed the clearly fake rubbish (but it has a COA!!) that sells for silly money...
There have been far worse and for much much bigger prices.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Yorkshire Chris

« Reply #1949 on: August 22, 2023, 03:44:25 PM »

Distinctive J?  Getting your Gerry's and Jerry's mixed up there, I think... Wink

Oops! Yes, of course...I read the signature as a G and my slow brain filled in the blanks... Sad Really hope Jerry is able to enjoy life to some extent though. I never saw him live but would have loved to as his technique was dazzling. Very sad.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1950 on: August 22, 2023, 04:05:04 PM »

There have been far worse and for much much bigger prices.

Sex Pistols seem to lead the way.  You'd be amazed how many signatures Sidney V left lying around that he did with a great big fresh fat Sharpie.  The things people spend a grand on...I wish I could have a bit of it.

ps most ambitious pricing award of the day (for genuine signatures - Fairport Convention sub category) goes to... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363000048266?hash=item54847d2a8a:g:IpsAAOSwFapkXoD9&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8MLYAIR7NJB19QpI5kugfs0qXkjp%2Fqp1sxomJGEVagVdhfrhmO3HKVcmWbNuvmWHrrYRXaK8BgIdecNORJ73s%2BRqCl1bwY5%2FvUcRJjE%2FKysTvqXG3tzqgRITscz9d4ezNGecSD1BO%2BqXZvIYdfH6XEhupVkSdHWEgUqLprVojsyomLDr5Di30FYuVRtb5HECq7c6r0hzZIjhV2C%2FaJ2ZQ3RUmqGlD%2F6TjkRC0WdPEwmKt3gIeL1HOOKeuZpNSl%2F0bAhPcFjrAbwiOo%2FLQAXmMF43rpGdtijd%2BLZWaUXRW0BZO7E3r8Q8oBZlrcmpmcUiug%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM-quR1cNi
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 04:22:34 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Yorkshire Chris

« Reply #1951 on: August 22, 2023, 04:34:37 PM »

The link isn't working for me but I searched the eBay item number and yeah, wow!! They've actually reduced it from £249.99 too...move the decimal point left and we might be talking. Found Peggy's answer to "Did you ever wish you had another profession?" in the Fairport Convention questionnaire section amusing though...very 1990s...!!

(Edit: the link is working now!)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1952 on: August 22, 2023, 05:24:06 PM »

Jerry , not Gerry, looks wrong as does the Swarb and Peggy usually adds a comment
But the pen puts me off , these people haven't been at the same event in a long time , so you'd expect to see different pen/ink used

Doesn't Peggy just sign as " Peggy"?

The Dude abides
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1953 on: August 22, 2023, 05:46:23 PM »

Several years ago, I bought a signed copy of John Lydon's (aka Rotten) autobiography at a interview/book launch he was doing at the Sheldonian Theatre Oxford. A highly entertaining evening it was too, but back on topic...While standing in the queue waiting to go in, I spotted Ric Sanders, also standing in the queue & waiting to go in... Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1954 on: August 22, 2023, 06:45:09 PM »

Doesn't Peggy just sign as " Peggy"?

Yes!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1955 on: August 22, 2023, 06:45:40 PM »

Several years ago, I bought a signed copy of John Lydon's (aka Rotten) autobiography at a interview/book launch he was doing at the Sheldonian Theatre Oxford. A highly entertaining evening it was too, but back on topic...While standing in the queue waiting to go in, I spotted Ric Sanders, also standing in the queue & waiting to go in... Grin

Ha!  Pretty damn cosmic...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1956 on: August 22, 2023, 06:50:56 PM »

The link isn't working for me but I searched the eBay item number and yeah, wow!! They've actually reduced it from £249.99 too...move the decimal point left and we might be talking. Found Peggy's answer to "Did you ever wish you had another profession?" in the Fairport Convention questionnaire section amusing though...very 1990s...!!

(Edit: the link is working now!)

I'd actually be very surprised if it sold for £22.40 but it might at least have a chance.  As much as we love Chris and Peggy their signatures are not uncommon are they?  There's plenty of other examples of people with the standard '98-'22 lineup asking a hundred for them.  Fairport must sign 50+ programmes a gig plus they've done things like sign all the copies of various releases/Christmas cards etc.  Supply and demand, people!

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1957 on: August 22, 2023, 07:38:05 PM »

Actually I have two versions of Peggy’s signature. One is on a vinyl copy of The Five Seasons bought secondhand where due to the black color (how much blacker could it be!  Cheesy ) he signed Cheers Peggy, but with that combined DP style. The other is on a Music Autograph’s Poster, authenticated and signed by Simon, Ric, Chris, Gerry and Peggy. On this one he used the same DP but wrote Dave Pegg…not Peggy! Of the 5 I’ll say Peggy’s and Ric’s are the best…must be a Birmingham thing lol

Edit-forgot to quote the previous saying he only signed as Peggy!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Peter Allen

« Reply #1958 on: August 22, 2023, 09:03:04 PM »

I have collected Peggy's signature many times , always "Cheers Peggy " or "Thanks Peggy"

I once almost had a row with Iain  , he said I was collecting his autograph just to add value (with a view to selling them on)
I had a lot maybe 14 LP sleeves , and I'd waited until everyone else had had a chat or collected his signature , so I wasn't hogging him
It was post Covid , I'd bought a lot of his stuff in lockdown !
I had already bought his latest CD (I always do that)

Not my fault he's so prolific
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1959 on: August 22, 2023, 10:10:42 PM »

Actually I have two versions of Peggy’s signature. One is on a vinyl copy of The Five Seasons bought secondhand where due to the black color (how much blacker could it be!  Cheesy ) he signed Cheers Peggy, but with that combined DP style. The other is on a Music Autograph’s Poster, authenticated and signed by Simon, Ric, Chris, Gerry and Peggy. On this one he used the same DP but wrote Dave Pegg…not Peggy! Of the 5 I’ll say Peggy’s and Ric’s are the best…must be a Birmingham thing lol

Edit-forgot to quote the previous saying he only signed as Peggy!

I have the WKWTTG limited edition signed poster and that is signed Dave Pegg.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: