TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:30:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bunch 45?  (Read 5750 times)
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« on: March 02, 2009, 03:55:17 AM »

I had a hankering to hear The Bunch's version of When Will I Be Loved today, so I pulled out my old LP and was reminded that it must have originally been packaged with a 45.  Always wondered about this.  There's a set of die-cut marks around the 45 that's drawn on the cover, set up to obviously hold one.  When I bought it (as in import here in the States, about 3 years or so after it was originally released) it did not have that 45.  Does anyone know what it was?

The other minor question I always wondered about was: Why does it say "featuring Gerry Conway" on the label within that drawing of the 45?  Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:51:24 AM »

It's quite common for bonus 'things' like singles etc not to be issued in other regions, I think...

As for the Gerry Conway question.....er, because it featured Gerry Conway?  That's my wild and reckless suggestion....  Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_On_(The_Bunch_album)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »

The album came with a one-sided flexi of "Let There Be Drums". featuring Gerry's soloing.

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/sandy.denny/records/rockon.html

Jamie
Dr Monk

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »

Yep, the 45 and Gerry Conway's appearance are one and the same!

Gerry performed 'Let there be drums' on one Fairport winter tour a few years ago. I think it was the 35th Anniversary tour in 2002.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »

Gerry performed 'Let there be drums' on one Fairport winter tour a few years ago. I think it was the 35th Anniversary tour in 2002.

Yup. I believe it's on the DVD of the Basingstoke performance.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »

The album came with a one-sided flexi of "Let There Be Drums". featuring Gerry's soloing.

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/sandy.denny/records/rockon.html

It's now a bonus track on the CD version.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »

Thanks, folks!
(Gerry Conway's listed on the other part of the cover and is on most of the songs, so that's why I didn't quite get the reasoning for his listing on the 45 image.)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »

A flatmate who shall be nameless bought the original Bunch record at full price in the 1970's. It was missing the 45 - he didn't realise that there was supposed to be one - D'OH!

I bought an immaculate copy avec flexidisc at a record fair about 8 years ago - cost about £30, so I'm just as silly as my flatmate.

The original version of "Let There Be Drums" was by Sandy Nelson, the other side was "Teen Beat". For the benefit of you bright young things, Mr Nelson was a drummer.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember Sandy's version, as played on my mate Paddy from Toton's Collaro gramophone deck circa 1959. Whether Annie Briggs up the road heard it and decided to start a career in music I leave future generations to judge.    
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:55:24 PM by Edthefolkie » Logged

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »

The original version of "Let There Be Drums" was by Sandy Nelson, the other side was "Teen Beat". For the benefit of you bright young things, Mr Nelson was a drummer.

I have got an LP "Sandy Nelson plays Fats Domino" which I got as a US import in the early 70's. Thanks for reminding me, I'll dust it down and wake the neighbours up.  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: