TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 159964 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #300 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:36 AM »

ONly as a Cropredy band, though....

What nonsense, Chris! They did Christmas tours, occasional dates in the rest of the year...hell they even did a couple of US tours before Gladys Leap....  Happy to provide documentary and audio evidence if you need it  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #301 on: March 14, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »

I'm glad to agree with the reviewer that "Meet On The Ledge" is better than "All Around My Hat".

Whether MOTL is the best folk song ever written is up for debate, however.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #302 on: March 14, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »

the Fairport home movie was indeed recorded on tour, long after, the 79 split and before the official reconvention in 85.
  for a band that didnt exist they were pretty busy

The Dude abides
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #303 on: March 14, 2007, 05:33:52 PM »

Quite so.  Just listen to Swarb's comments about that time on "It All Comes Round Again".

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
jimc

« Reply #304 on: March 14, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »

I'm sure I saw the Pegg Nicol Rowlands Swarbrick line up in the early 80s, after the "farewell" tour.

I certainly did, including one set at Sheffield Uni when they overran by 40minutes plus doing the best Fairport gig I ever went to...
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2007, 09:08:20 PM »

Okay, a bit late I know, but I would like to say my piece about the Chippy gig last Sunday.

It was lovely to be there at the tail end of the tour. Chippy Town Hall is not the "smartest" of venues.....following on from Brum Symphony Hall and St David's Hall, Cardiff. The tickets were more expensive too! Shocked Probably because fewer people could be accommodated.....

Anyhoo.....a very enthusiastic audience was present.... a very enthusiastic performance was presented....the TTL's "suffering" somewhat from feeling understandably tearful on the last night of their tour - and poor Danni's voice somewhat strained after the rigours of the previous six weeks.

It was an exciting and somewhat nerve-wracking evening for me personally, having been given the opportunity to present, in the company of our very own Jude, a Hancock award for Best Folk Track Ever (Matty Groves). Mercifully, I managed NOT to trip over any cables or do anything TOO silly. Phew! Chris Bates managed to capture the moment beautifully. Bless him!

The chaps were clearly enjoying themselves in an "end of term" kind of way - much laughter and lots of "mucking about" by Peggy, in particular. It seems that this tour has been one of great celebration for all concerned. Sense of Occasion? I think so. Roll on, August. Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #306 on: March 16, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »

Nice post, Shirl.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #307 on: March 19, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »

Spotted this in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph "Seven" supplement.

"Fairport Convention at the ICA are two groups in one. There is an acclaimed, honoured group called Fairport Convention who in the late 1960s helped to invent folk rock and are now celebrating their 40th anniversary. There's little sign of their existence.

There is also a group called Fairport Convention containing only one of the original members, who are some kind of home-baked tribute to the idea of a Fairport Convention that helped invent folk rock and released legendary albums.

Mostly they tend to muck around like a bunch of assiduous, cheerful blokes who act as if they are in some kind of comedy group. This Fairport Convention are not as such honouring the original pioneering Fairport, give or take the occasional sentimental rendition of an early classic, as creating a kind of dog-eared caricature. The original innovative Fairport is overwhelmed by this deteriorating, corny Fairport, who gamely keep the name alive and have a lot of fun but who should now perhaps be called Fairport Nonvention."

Harsh words. Angry  Okay, of course things have changed - it has been 40 years for a start! I know plenty of us have views about the different Fairport eras, and fair enough, but I thought this reviewer (one Paul Morley) was pretty hard on the Chaps. Sad

That's not dirt, it's patination!
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2007, 10:38:34 AM »

Hard, but fairly accurate
the current band are totally different to the original set up.
thats not meant as a criticism, just an observation.
I noticed a couple of years ago when RT was in the line up at Croperdy
that the band had an edge to the sound, perhaps more electric guitar would not hurt.
times change so do band members, I love the current line up both as musicians and personalities
but time also mellows how and why we do things, the brash thrust of youth sounds different to the mellow sounds of wisdom and experience.
I am looking forward to the Liege and leaf set this august.

OOOOO I'm gonna get hammered for this
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2007, 12:31:28 PM »

Hard, but fairly accurate
the current band are totally different to the original set up.
thats not meant as a criticism, just an observation.
I noticed a couple of years ago when RT was in the line up at Croperdy
that the band had an edge to the sound, perhaps more electric guitar would not hurt.
times change so do band members, I love the current line up both as musicians and personalities
but time also mellows how and why we do things, the brash thrust of youth sounds different to the mellow sounds of wisdom and experience.
I am looking forward to the Liege and leaf set this august.

OOOOO I'm gonna get hammered for this

I agree with these sentiments fB. I love the band as they are now, but I miss Maart's guitar and keyboards (I was introduced to them in 1989 so the Maart and DM lineup was the first I knew) and, IMHO, there's far too much mando now. I like a bit of mando, but you can have too much of it. I'm looking forward to L&L as I've never seen RT live and I can't wait!

Tiara Fez

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:56 PM »

Harsh words. Angry  Okay, of course things have changed - it has been 40 years for a start! I know plenty of us have views about the different Fairport eras, and fair enough, but I thought this reviewer (one Paul Morley) was pretty hard on the Chaps. Sad

I thought so too.  I cannot relate to this reporter's viewpoint at all.  Christie Moore's Scallcrows springs to mind.  

Actually, I much preferred the article about Daniel Levitin and the meaning of music.  I think it gives more of a clue as to why Fairport continues to be so popular after forty years.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2007, 11:12:28 PM »

I didn't notice Paul Morley in the crowd.

But I have to agree to a certain extent that the music now is far lighter than the Fairport of even 10 years ago, and could be seen as larking about by a real stalwart of serious music (as I know Paul Morley to be). They had a lot of fun, but it didn't really rub off on the audience - so is it an "old boys club" now?

Well, the music is certainly not cutting edge, and I'm struggling to enjoy SOO - whereas the roots that have been set down by earlier, more earthy songs seem to give more scope for improvisation and character (cf. Matty Groves). I can't see a heavy improv taking place with Edge Of The World, or Keep On Turning The Wheel  Tongue

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »

I too have to agree on the current sound of the band and the preponderence of mandolin etc Sad In the words of John Cleese during Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch, 'Shut that bloody bouzouki up  Wink

Cheers Nigel
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2007, 11:12:04 AM »

Am I the only one that likes the mandolin in the current FC then??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »

I didn't notice Paul Morley in the crowd.

But I have to agree to a certain extent that the music now is far lighter than the Fairport of even 10 years ago, and could be seen as larking about by a real stalwart of serious music (as I know Paul Morley to be). They had a lot of fun, but it didn't really rub off on the audience - so is it an "old boys club" now?

I haven't been inside the ICA for some years when I had business dealings with them. The ambience of the place then was very highbrow. Sounds a funny place for FC to perform. Reminds me of a mid 80's concert they did at the Barbican. Peggy said "Funny place - hope you've enjoyed yourselves'.

Difficult to get gigs in London, I suppose.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2007, 11:19:18 AM »

No...but it's a question of balance.  It's (and certainly on record) a too one-dimensional 'light' sound at present...I've always thought of Fairport as having all sorts of textures to them and a lot of those textures have been missing for a while....although the latest tour appears to have been a good step in the right direction on the live front.  I'd love to see them mix it up in the studio and get out of the safety zone they currently operate in there...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2007, 11:21:40 AM »

I haven't been inside the ICA for some years when I had business dealings with them. The ambience of the place then was very highbrow. Sounds a funny place for FC to perform. Reminds me of a mid 80's concert they did at the Barbican. Peggy said "Funny place - hope you've enjoyed yourselves'.

Difficult to get gigs in London, I suppose.

Personally (and this doesn't just go for London) I wish they'd play 'rock' venues...and especially after the smoking ban comes in....places like the Astoria or even smaller venues like the Borderline or whatever...

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2007, 11:24:07 AM »

No  Wink Fez

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2007, 12:08:33 PM »

I like it too, especially that bass model!

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #319 on: March 20, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »

I like the mando (s) in the current line-up. Shame Peggy doesn't play it more with FC, after all he's been doing it for a while now.

But, I'm with Davidmjs about the balance. Well put David, ta.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: