TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:01:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 160540 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2007, 09:43:43 AM »

Who says kids these days have no taste. All in all a great night. Good to see Amy and Puggs there, Good seats Amy?

rachel

A last minute booking gave us little choice of seats..  so we found ourselves with knees touching the stage, the speakers less than an arms length away, the stage was about four feet high so we were forced to look up Chris' nose.. never seen him from that angle before!

No rachel.. not the best seats.. ooouch my left ear!!  Were your seats as good?

Great gig though.. and Beth's Who Knows was lovely.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2007, 12:56:58 PM »

'Twas a first time visit to the Lawrence Batley Theatre in Huddersfield for us last night, but it won't be the last as it's a cracking venue - As Kat from TTL said "Well done Huddersfield".  Cool

Managed to arrive in time for TTL's set despite having to negotiate my way around an accident in a town I don't know - I just followed the car in front as they seemed to know the way Roll Eyes.  TTL were on top form, I just wish they'd hurry up and get the new material out on CD as it sounds excellent.

As already mentioned, Fairport were in fine fettle last night.  The highlights for me were 'South Dakota to Manchester', which had a bit more kick than the CD version, 'Untouchable', 'Hawkswood's Army', and all of Ric's tunes.  Beth's singing on WKWTTG was fabulous and she deserved the rapturous applause, both during and after the song.  It was also nice to see Simon thrashing away on the electric guitar during 'Matty', I thought I'd never hear the song done 'heavy metal style' again, and Peggy doing his best Gene Simmons at the end was hilarious.  Grin

So, how long is it to Cropredy?

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »

Have Fairport considered making some soundboard Cd's or downloads available from this tour? I know we've just had Off The Desk

Which is a year old now!.....and they'll need a merch item next year, as the DVD is likely to around well before Christmas. Seeing as this has, certainly in my opinion, been their best tour in at least 5 years, I with you on this suggestion & will be following it up!

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #243 on: March 08, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »

DVD as in Cropredy 07 DVD?

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2007, 02:12:12 PM »

Dvd as in Fairport's 40th year DVD.....

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »

Dvd as in Fairport's 40th year DVD.....

Oooohhhhhhh!  ??  Tell us more, Chris

And YES PLEASE to any recordings of this tour - but especially anything on "film" Smiley

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #246 on: March 08, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »

Mike Rowbottom - ex-Central TV producer - has been filming snippets of the Fairport life since the start of this year. He'll be with them on & off until after (and during, obviously) Cropredy - whence he has a big job editing it all down for a Fairport's 40th Year DVD, which should be available for Xmas (does that get through the censor?) & quite possibly earlier.

The Chippy gig is next on his calendar, I believe. I spoke with Mike at the Birmingham gig & he was happy for me to give a head's up & raise the interest levels.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #247 on: March 08, 2007, 06:37:33 PM »

OOhh I hope the Hancock presentation will be in this too then!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #248 on: March 08, 2007, 07:38:51 PM »

Looking forward to the Chipping Norton show now Wink

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2007, 12:09:25 AM »

Just returned from a very pleasant evening out in downtown Southport had time for a chat & a pint with MikeC and a quick hello to Bernie  Smiley FC & TTL both were excellent, that's all for now maybe more in the morning.  Fez

Happy mainly.
mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »

Thursday 8th so it must be Southport. Minor domestic crisis meant the pre concert drink with Dad Volt was on, then off then on again! So thanks to a recommendation we found ourselves in Barons Bar in Southport (inside the Scarisbrick hotel) directly opposite the gig. Tetley Mild made DV's eyes light up and added to the leather chairs it was a nice little bar. Had a couple of words with one Simon Nicol who was drinking rosie and looking relaxed. According to Simon the chaps were really enjoying the tour even if it was 6 weeks long and the TTL girls were wonderful be on tour with. Their view on things was (understandably) different to 'us old timers' but refreshing and a breath of fresh air at times. He did say they went all giggly on meeting Robert Plant but according to Peggy later not as bad as their mum who 'came over all of a quiver' I didn't press for any more details  Roll Eyes

Into the gig, met Bernie in the foyer who was as usual complete with pressies for the chaps and then tried to find my seat. Folks sitting in it I found but no worries I sat at the end of the row. OK until the owner of my new seat turned up. Long story short it transpired that the folks in my proper seat were in the wrong theatre!!. They should have been in the smaller studio (in the same building). OK, they were probably misdirected by an usher but I did wonder what type of presentation of John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men they expected to see when they were sitting looking at an array of guitars, fiddles, mandolins and drums  Huh

And so duly introduced by Ric, TTL appeared. (isn't the tour t-shirt an awful colour!) They've come quite a way since I last saw them at Cropredy in 04 and Beth has developed into a fine singer. Danni's voice was showing the strain a little of 6 weeks on the road but overall they were very good, infectious, having fun and obviously so pleased to be there. Ric, Chris and Gerry joined them for the last number (sorry don't do set lists but think it was same as previously listed) and then we were into Widow of Westmoreland. Again I think the set list was similar, if not exactly the same as previously listed. Several numbers from SoO which as expected sounder much better live than on the CD. Even Keep on Turning the Wheel was punchier and rockier. Liked Chris's blue whistle intro and the line dancing by TTL to Tam Lin was superb. Again everyone on stage was having fun and laughing. Nice to see Peggy so relaxed with everyone.  Smiley

We also got Beth's solo on WKWTTG which was stunning. For one so young she wasn't over awed at all and really brought a new version of the song to the party.  The spontaneous applause at the end of her verse was definitely deserved. Simons intro to Matty was electric, heavy, rocky, new (to me anyway) and excellent. And then to the encores the first of which again sounded much better live than on the CD and MOTL with Ric again apparently miming. Well that’s what he said afterwards.  Lips Sealed He did also say he wasn't at all confident in his singing which is why he didn't do it. Naturally joined by TTL for the last number and all too soon we were in the foyer.

This was one of the best Wintour concerts I've seen in many a while. The lads seriously rocked and all of the numbers from the new CD were much much better live. Sound was good, even from the 5th row and they all looked happy and enjoying themselves. Its difficult to pick a highlight of the evening from such a great gig but probably WKWTTG. I *do* hope Beth joins them on stage in August for this one.

Had a brief chat with Danni afterwards who said the girls would be coming on TaW once the tour was over and giving us more info on the tour and what they thought of it. Basically they've had a blast.

So did I last night.  Grin Fez

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:14 PM »

the line dancing by TTL to Tam Lin was superb.

Blimey. We didn't get that in Birmingham.  Wink
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #252 on: March 09, 2007, 05:43:50 PM »

They started doing this in Scotland - first at the side of the stage, then a few days later, across the back of the stage, behind Gerry.

Ever inventive, those girls!

Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #253 on: March 09, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »

Its difficult to pick a highlight of the evening from such a great gig but probably WKWTTG. I *do* hope Beth joins them on stage in August for this one.
Basically they've had a blast.
So did I last night.  Grin Fez

Totally agree. Sorry I couldn't have stayed later but had had an early start and had one today as well.

Off beat highlight for me was Peg-leg Pegg the Pirate! The light caught his plectrum and shone directly in my eyes giving him a menacing presence. Certainly a lot more menacing than when he jumped off the amp!

A little bit upset that they didn't have any man-sized 40 Glorious Years T-Shirts left. Being of a 1967 vintage myself I wanted one to wear on my birthday in July. Best laid plans...

Roll on Cropredy and hopefully a t-shirt with a reference to 40 glorious years!

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #254 on: March 09, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »

Great news about the DVD Chris, the first real documentary since In Real Time. Hope it has lots of background info.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »

Hmmm - I'll enquire on Sunday - but I think it's just a history of this 40th year.

mikec
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2007, 11:47:56 PM »

Hmmm - I'll enquire on Sunday - but I think it's just a history of this 40th year.

I for one hope it is just that.  A retrospective of the last 40 years wouldn't fit on one DVD.  Roll Eyes

But a retrospective DVD box set, now there is a thought Grin

P.S. Sorry to miss you last night WW. It was a bit good though wasn't it  Cool Grin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 12:05:37 AM by mikec » Logged

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #257 on: March 10, 2007, 02:26:51 AM »

the line dancing by TTL to Tam Lin was superb.

Blimey. We didn't get that in Birmingham.  Wink

They were dancing a lot - off stage right. Probably only visible to a small wedge at the front of the audience. I thought then it was a pity they were not on stage.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #258 on: March 10, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »

On our way to London. If anyone is going, I'm wearing a Green Seniors badge and too much stubble, Mrs Keith is in bunchies and a secret Fairport t-shirt. All ready to jump about.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #259 on: March 10, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »

P.S. Sorry to miss you last night WW. It was a bit good though wasn't it  Cool Grin

Yeah me too.

Didn't really get going until they sorted the sound but when it did it was pretty good.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: