TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:01:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 204   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1796098 times)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #3960 on: January 12, 2024, 04:22:09 PM »

Sad to hear the news about Tony Clarkin. Magnum were my favourite band in the late 80s - 'Chase the Dragon' and 'On a Storyteller’s Night' were great albums and have stood up pretty well over time. Some good stuff on 'Vigilante' and 'Wings of Heaven' too. They never quite scaled the same heights after the split/reformation.

I guess this will be the end of them as a band - glad I went to see them one last time a year or so ago.

RIP Tony.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3961 on: January 12, 2024, 06:03:10 PM »

Sad to hear the news about Tony Clarkin. Magnum were my favourite band in the late 80s - 'Chase the Dragon' and 'On a Storyteller’s Night' were great albums and have stood up pretty well over time. Some good stuff on 'Vigilante' and 'Wings of Heaven' too. They never quite scaled the same heights after the split/reformation.

I guess this will be the end of them as a band - glad I went to see them one last time a year or so ago.

RIP Tony.

Don't think so...there's a tour in a few months and Tony only just announced he wasn't able to make it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #3962 on: January 12, 2024, 06:33:21 PM »

RIP Tony.

Don't think so...there's a tour in a few months and Tony only just announced he wasn't able to make it.

The tour was cancelled.
Tony was, obviously, hoping to get better, and Bob decided it was not right to tour with a stand in.
Sadly, it looks as though this is the end for the band, even though they said 'We'll be back.' Without Tony's song writing, it won't be Magnum.
However, the new album is released today, probably the last batch of new material we will get to hear, unless there's stuff in the vaults.
It's called 'Here Comes The Rain', and there's a version with a live DVD recorded at K.K's Steel Mill recently.
Maybe there will be a tribute concert or tour in due time...

Well I never did..
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3963 on: January 13, 2024, 08:30:28 PM »

RIP Tony.

The tour was cancelled.
Tony was, obviously, hoping to get better, and Bob decided it was not right to tour with a stand in.
Sadly, it looks as though this is the end for the band, even though they said 'We'll be back.' Without Tony's song writing, it won't be Magnum.
However, the new album is released today, probably the last batch of new material we will get to hear, unless there's stuff in the vaults.
It's called 'Here Comes The Rain', and there's a version with a live DVD recorded at K.K's Steel Mill recently.
Maybe there will be a tribute concert or tour in due time...

I was given the new album as a present for Christmas (not sure how a copy ended up on sale in Swansea, a couple of weeks before the official release date) and it's very strong. A fitting swansong for Tony and (I assume) the band.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #3964 on: January 15, 2024, 08:18:07 AM »

Cajun accordianist, Jo-El Sonnier,  died of a heart attack on January 13, 2024, just after a performance near Austin, Texas, at the age of 77.

First came across him covering "Tear Stained Letter" & then duetting on it with RT. R I P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wKZu8o0s9g
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:28:22 AM by quodlibet (Ian) » Logged

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3965 on: January 15, 2024, 08:25:24 AM »

Cajun accordianist, Jo-El Sonnier,  died of a heart attack on January 13, 2024, just after a performance near Austin, Texas, at the age of 77.

Fist came across him covering "Tear Stained Letter" & then duetting with RT. R I P.

I saw an image he'd posted at some point on social media of him and RT together with the sentence, "with Richard Thompson, writer of my hit" which I thought was a little odd.  I'd certainly never heard of him or the fact he had a hit with it*

*apparently no.9 in the US Country Chart (and no.5 in the equivalent Canadian one) in '88

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3966 on: January 20, 2024, 10:41:18 AM »

Mary Weiss of The Shangri-Las, age 75.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/us-celebrity-news/breaking-lead-shangri-las-singer-31925941

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3967 on: January 21, 2024, 02:51:52 AM »

Fist came across him covering "Tear Stained Letter" & then duetting with RT. R I P.

I saw an image he'd posted at some point on social media of him and RT together with the sentence, "with Richard Thompson, writer of my hit" which I thought was a little odd.  I'd certainly never heard of him or the fact he had a hit with it*

*apparently no.9 in the US Country Chart (and no.5 in the equivalent Canadian one) in '88

He was a giant in the Cajun music scene. I saw him here in NY in the 90’s. As to Richard, he obviously had an affection and awareness of the music from long back. He also guested and wrote the title track of Beausoleil’s Cajun Conja album

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #3968 on: January 21, 2024, 09:42:55 AM »

Diligent research locates TSL on his 'Live in Canada' album. Backing band was Amos Garrett, remember him from Cropredy 2001
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3969 on: January 21, 2024, 01:17:47 PM »

Backing band was Amos Garrett, remember him from Cropredy 2001

Nope.  Help me out...

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #3970 on: January 21, 2024, 01:37:32 PM »

Nope.  Help me out...

He is a solo guitarist/bluesman. I can't remember if he had backing musicians at Crops, but probably not. He played 'Sleepwalk' at Cropredy on an ordinary guitar (not a pedal steel). He is best known for the guitar solo on 'Midnight at the Oasis' as he was in Maria Muldaur's band for some time.

I bought his album from the stall and shook hands with him.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3971 on: January 21, 2024, 01:42:38 PM »

Nope.  Help me out...

He is a solo guitarist/bluesman. I can't remember if he had backing musicians at Crops, but probably not. He played 'Sleepwalk' at Cropredy on an ordinary guitar (not a pedal steel). He is best known for the guitar solo on 'Midnight at the Oasis' as he was in Maria Muldaur's band for some time.

I bought his album from the stall and shook hands with him.

Thanks for trying but I'm disappointed to admit I have no recall at all of that performance.

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3972 on: January 23, 2024, 08:48:39 PM »

Peter Schickele, aged 88.

He was a classical musician and composer who created the comic ahistorical figure "P.D.Q. Bach," J.S. Bach's youngest and "least talented" child. He used this character as a vehicle to compose such works as "The 1712 Overture" and "The Abduction of Figaro." He also composed the score for the 1972 sci-fi classic "Silent Running," including the original songs performed by Joan Baez on the soundtrack.

I got to see him perform live in the 1980s and again in the 2010s. He was somewhat unique in blending humor with genuine classical music, and I will miss him.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3973 on: January 24, 2024, 10:26:26 PM »

Melanie Safka, of Brand New Key fame, 76.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3974 on: January 24, 2024, 10:27:18 PM »

I have just read that Melanie (Safka) has passed away.

It reminded me of a trip I took with my parents to the Isle of Wight 5 years ago. We stayed in a comfortable but modest B&B in the middle of nowhere but the elderly proprietor was keen to tell us about a singer who had been staying there the previous week. She couldn't remember the name but had enough tidbits of information for me to guess that it was Melanie, which she then confirmed. There had been a small event commemorating the original IOW festivals and Melanie had flown over to participate. RIP.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:40:51 PM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3975 on: January 25, 2024, 09:02:17 AM »

Jules

Oh no.  I love Melanie.  Was fortunate to see her live in the early 2000s.  She was so great on stage.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3976 on: January 25, 2024, 11:12:52 AM »

Oh no.  I love Melanie.  Was fortunate to see her live in the early 2000s.  She was so great on stage.

My one and only gig at the long-since demolished venue The Dome in Morecambe was to see Melanie in 2008. Support was from a guitarist called Beau who I seem to remember joined Melanie during her set.

And I've just discovered that the gig was recorded and released in 2017 as a live album. Guess I'll be giving that a listen today.

https://melaniesafka.bandcamp.com/album/live-from-morecambe

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3977 on: January 25, 2024, 11:15:22 AM »

Jules

Oh no . i bought most of her early albums and saw her in 1972 , and then twice more recently. Sadly she tended to talk more than sing in her later years (just like Donovan!) but I adored her in the early days. RIP.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #3978 on: January 25, 2024, 11:16:22 AM »

My one and only gig at the long-since demolished venue The Dome in Morecambe was to see Melanie in 2008. Support was from a guitarist called Beau who I seem to remember joined Melanie during her set.

And I've just discovered that the gig was recorded and released in 2017 as a live album. Guess I'll be giving that a listen today.

https://melaniesafka.bandcamp.com/album/live-from-morecambe

Her son I think.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #3979 on: January 25, 2024, 12:04:15 PM »

Thinking of Melanie takes me back to my teenage years..... I loved her songs. All the earnest stuff as well as the fun ones (Alexander Beetle, Animal Crackers etc) and the ones that were simply great songs (Nickel Song, Lay Down, Bitter Bad and so on) RIP

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 204   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: