TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 02, 2024, 01:32:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2014  (Read 209679 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #360 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »

Anyway, From the Jam is not a tribute act - it's the original bassist (ie a third of the group) playing songs he helped to write. We've had loads of bands with only 1 or 2 original members,indeed as is often pointed out, you could call FC a tribute band.  Wink

It's a tribute band.  A cabaret act.  A cash-in nostalgia trip.  I would really rather see a pub band play for fun than watch some of these desperate groups.  Fairport are an on-going concern that still make new records.  From The Jam aren't.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #361 on: September 11, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »

Didn't Shameless Quo play one year or was that in the village?

As hendo mentioned, Can they be classed as a tribute with a former member in them?

Shameless Quo were on the main stage.

Legend went down well twice! Tribute band.
Big Country? without Stuart
My personal feeling is their shouldn't be tribute bands at Cropredy
We have a fest in Leics called Glastonbudget. Mainly tribute bands. it pulls 15000+ people
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #362 on: September 11, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »

Has anybody mentioned Procol Harum. They're touring. Pity only Gary Brooker is left from the original line-up, but lets face it, he IS the voice of Procol Harum.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #363 on: September 11, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

Anyway, From the Jam is not a tribute act - it's the original bassist (ie a third of the group) playing songs he helped to write. We've had loads of bands with only 1 or 2 original members,indeed as is often pointed out, you could call FC a tribute band.  Wink

It's a tribute band.  A cabaret act.  A cash-in nostalgia trip.  I would really rather see a pub band play for fun than watch some of these desperate groups.  Fairport are an on-going concern that still make new records.  From The Jam aren't.

Jules

Er, they do make new music - they did a number of tunes from Bruce Foxton's latest solo album (which features the same singer and drummer) and a few other songs.  
Tribute? Yes they did say how much they enjoy playing The Jam's music, some of which Bruce Foxton wrote of course. It's hardly a Stars in Your Eyes "Ladies and gentlemen, tonight Jim Smith IS Elvis Presley" style tribute  Roll Eyes
Desperate? Hardly! They were having as much fun as the audience.
Cashing in? Well, they need to earn money, we all do. They're musicians, so it makes sense to tour and do what you know best. It's not really cashing in when you're on the road 200 nights a year, travelling up and down the country in a Renault Scenic, even if it does have aircon.

I admit we had no idea what From the Jam would be like, and we went along more to see Bruce Foxton play than anything else, but they totally surprised and delighted us. From the second they stepped onto the stage they delivered good, well-played music, and they had the audience (there were 3 generations from one family sat behind us) on their feet, singing, clapping and dancing along. A bit like when Tom Robinson came onto the stage at Cropedy Smiley

After all, Bruce Foxton IS the bass sound of The Jam...

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #364 on: September 11, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

Every bass player is the bass sound of their band!  Personally, I'd rather see Bruce going out there and presenting his own music under his own name.

Jules

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #365 on: September 11, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »

Every bass player is the bass sound of their band!  Personally, I'd rather see Bruce going out there and presenting his own music under his own name.

Jules
It was a reference to the previous post from David Terrrrrrrr

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #366 on: September 11, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »

Jules

Is it just the branding that's at fault here, as if he's trying to say that this somehow still is The Jam? Or is it that the set is chiefly composed of Jam numbers? I accompanied my 15 year-old son (who was then 14) to see Johnny Marr in Manchester a few months ago. Marr and his band played a handful of Smiths songs, and when they did the crowd went wild, but we had no sense at all that this was a tribute act. Instead, here was a chap who had every right to play and sing these songs. But might we have thought differently had his band been called "From the Smiths", or if most of the set had been Smiths songs? Possibly.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #367 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »

Jules, we don't want to be on too much of a pedestal.
 People loved the Muffin Men. Zappa tribute band tacking on one original member of the Mothers to give it some veracity.
Legend went down incredibly well etc.
It illustrates the changing Cropredy audience. Musafir and String Band may no longer get the gig!
and noting the post above, Martin Barre plays Tull.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #368 on: September 11, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »

Up until fairly recently, "From The Jam" also included Rick Buckler, so with two thirds of the Jam involved I guess they felt they had a right to include "Jam" in the name.
They also happen to be extremely good!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #369 on: September 11, 2013, 07:52:55 PM »

I do recall that Hamsters were at Cropredy

They are brilliant but they are a Hendrix/ Queen tribute band really (with a bit of Zappa thrown in at times )
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »

I'm with you Jules. It's a tribute band. Possibly a very good one, and one that many people like, but still a tribute band. I enjoyed 10CC at Wickham this year but they're still a tribute band. Cropredy likes tributes, fair enough, but it's one of the reasons I haven't been since 2007.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #371 on: September 11, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »

Oh ffs this is such a pointless argument.  Statistically FTJ are less of a tribute band than Fairport are.  Get over it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #372 on: September 11, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »

Pointless arguments? On Talkawhile? Never! Roll Eyes
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #373 on: September 11, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »

Pointless arguments? On Talkawhile? Never! Roll Eyes

As are rather stroppy overly aggressive put downs.  Sorry about that...bad day  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #374 on: September 11, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »

Oh ffs this is such a pointless argument.  Statistically FTJ are less of a tribute band than Fairport are.  Get over it.

Depends which statistics you're using.  Fairport morphed into what they are now.  From The Jam were started by Bruce and Rick many years after their old group's demise, and expressly to play old songs to make some money.  Fair enough, I suppose, but let's not try and pretend that there's anything other than the desire for commercial gains going on here.

Anyway, my opinion is that suggesting such outfits for Croppers is aiming way too low.  I'd much rather listen to somebody new than someone coasting on former glories.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #375 on: September 11, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »

Anyway, my opinion is that suggesting such outfits for Croppers is aiming way too low.  I'd much rather listen to somebody new than someone coasting on former glories.

Jules

Oh Lord have mercy....now that is a very, er, interesting sentence to use about Cropredy...

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #376 on: September 11, 2013, 08:54:52 PM »

Oh Lord have mercy....now that is a very, er, interesting sentence to use about Cropredy...

Even if you think Fairport tend to coast these days, they sure up their game for Cropredy.  Maybe if From The Jam brought out that cantankerous old git from Woking who can't sing very well to guest on guitar, it would help matters somewhat.   Grin

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #377 on: September 11, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »

Now, now, Jules, don't you be putting words into my mouth...  Undecided Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #378 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »

I have made this point on here before, and I figured I would mention it again. As Jules says, Fairport have morphed, or evolved into what they are now, and have been a working band in some guise for every year of their 46 years (including the balance of 1979-1980, because they still got together for Cropredy). That anyone could think they are a tribute band of any sort is  wrong IMO. We all know the Fairport history, and we know the times when they had no original members, or only one original member. So if there is one band on the planet who knows what it is like to go out there and play only to be met with-"Sandy isn't in the band, no thanks, pass," "Richard isn't in the band, why bother?" "Swarb not in the band, whats the point?" it is Fairport Convention.

So when bands reform and play festivals like Cropredy they surely encounter the same problem, and they, and only they are the ones that have to do the convincing. Does it always work-no. Does it sometimes work-sure. The Blockheads and Squeeze being two recent examples for which it seemed consensus was pretty strongly in favor, whilst bands like Big Country and the Status Quo that appeared at Cropredy had mixed reviews on this board. The point to me is in the end result. I don't know The Jam, or From The Jam all that well, but if it is a good show, why not?

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #379 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »

Previous post I meant to describe the years 1979-1985 as still being "working" years because of Cropredy, not 1979-1980.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: