TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 02, 2024, 01:31:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2014  (Read 209679 times)
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #280 on: September 07, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »

From the louder end of the folk influenced spectrum Crumbling Ghost, they do a very good version of Reynardine and are not averse to turning the guitars up.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #281 on: September 07, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »

Chic.............I didn't think I liked them and thought I hated DISCO.Then I saw them at Glastonbury . They were without doubt the best Act there this year , absolutely stunning. What a repertoire of hits too .

They would really be good at Cropredy...but wont happen.

Have to say that Leatherat need bringing in . I suspect that Health and Safety will prevent them playing at the Brasenose.
Was more crowded there for them than anything else that wonderful weekend.

What would be your dream Cropredy? We could all disappear up a tunnel of our own favourite style so the rules of 2013 must be obeyed.

Thursday ...Starts with                                                      Fairport acoustic

................next                                                               the support act of the tour

............... A pop act of your chosing.                                 ....................................

............... A folk based Dancey type Band                           ....................................

..............  A really top class headliner                                 ....................................

Friday        Starts with                                                       R2 Young award winners

.......next    A country / world Music Act                              ...................................

............... something traditional                                        ....................................

............... A pop based act                                             ....................................

............... Talented solo virtuoso                                      .....................................

.............. A classy Folk/Rock act                                      ....................................

..............  A really top class headliner                                 ....................................                

Saturday    Starts with                                                 Richard Digance

.......next    something different                                     ..................................

............... something traditional                                    ....................................

............... A pop based act                                          ....................................

............... Warm up soloist                                     .....................................

.............. A classy Folk/Rock act                                      ....................................

..............  The really top class headliner                           FAIRPORT CONVENTION

I know I've got one less act on the Friday. That's deliberate, I was a bit offended that the levellers were rushed off stage without encore so that the next band could set up. This  should deal with that.

I am going to give it some thought and come up with mine.     What would yours be???      

Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #282 on: September 07, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »

Steve Earle for me please.

Unlikely,but would get a thumbs up from me!

Happy mainly.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

If you're going to bring anyone from the States - bring these. Proper band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVuNUtbg_Bo

Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »

Just back home from Proms in the Park. Added to my list of suggestions for Croppers are The Red Hot Chilli Pipers and Bryan Ferry, both superb !!

Cheers Nigel
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #285 on: September 08, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »

Just back home from Proms in the Park. Added to my list of suggestions for Croppers are The Red Hot Chilli Pipers and Bryan Ferry, both superb !!

Cheers Nigel

Ferry............man at M&S?   That is a step too far to the right.    Lips Sealed

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #286 on: September 08, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »

Cheers Nigel

Ferry............man at M&S?   That is a step too far to the right.    Lips Sealed
You do make me laugh!  Roll Eyes  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
fal de diddle

Loc: Derby

« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »

Cheers Nigel

Check out Ferry doing Dylan - brilliant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5x2kKRI2V4
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »

Cheers Nigel

When did Cropredy become a political rally?

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »

When that plonker started opening the bill on the Saturday?  Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »

It seems its ok to be a left wing muso, but not to have any other political thoughts.  i personly have no time for party politics and would not personly like to live in a communist state and have my life controlled, neither would i like to live under a far right party. Why people cant just like music for the music i just dont know, and it saddens me that we have left wing bigots as well as right wing ones. Let me know when the revolution starts.  

I came here to read about music, festivals and such not get indocrinated by some political bollix.

Bye!

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #291 on: September 08, 2013, 10:22:47 PM »

Cheers Nigel

His ridiculous son might want to drive his hounds through the arena fi e e e e e ld.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #292 on: September 08, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »

It seems its ok to be a left wing muso, but not to have any other political thoughts.  i personly have no time for party politics and would not personly like to live in a communist state and have my life controlled, neither would i like to live under a far right party. Why people cant just like music for the music i just dont know
Bye!

All very well. But if someone sings about politics - whether it be Digance or Bragg, Dylan or Harper - you can't just let music be music, can you?
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #293 on: September 08, 2013, 11:29:51 PM »

I think the point is that with the bands that put out leftish politics, we all only discuss their music. If I like someones music I don't care what their political views are and don't bring them up.

But, if someone mentions acts such as Digance, Brian Ferry, Ted Nugent or Rush. Someone always has a go at them for their political beliefs. This is a music site, so let's stick to acts musical output and not whether you dislike their political stance.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #294 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »

I think the point is that with the bands that put out leftish politics, we all only discuss their music. If I like someones music I don't care what their political views are and don't bring them up.

But, if someone mentions acts such as Digance, Brian Ferry, Ted Nugent or Rush. Someone always has a go at them for their political beliefs. This is a music site, so let's stick to acts musical output and not whether you dislike their political stance.
Hear, hear. It's all about the music

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #295 on: September 09, 2013, 12:27:06 AM »

We don't often disagree Andy but I think some acts beliefs can't be separated from their music., Levellers, Oysterband, Chumbawumba, Show of Hands, Billy Bragg, Home Service, even some of Lucy wards new stuff, Red Shoes have a very strong anti fox hunting song etc They are singing political songs. I would argue that a lot of 'folk music' has a political basis, Streets of London, Radio Ballads, Plantation songs, Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Ewen Mcoll etc but that's a different thesis.
 Conversley,I didn't go to see Alice this yr but I don't suppose his rampant  support of the republican party would put many people off. it didn't put me off, I just didn't want to see him cos i've never liked his music. However he isn't espousing his politics in his songs,  I have had Van M's, Hymns to the Silence on today, it has not convinced me to find god!
In the past I have  been v uneasy at Digance's banter and songs and left the field. I disagree with his view expressed in some songs just as I
  sometimes disagree with bragg , levellers et al
Lucy knows that I think , ' stand up and take to the streets, they can't ignore us if we all choose to speak', is a wonderful, youthful. nieve, hopeful view but probably not if you're russian, turkish, chinese, iranian, north korean, egyptian. syrian etc!!!!
I'll finish this rant with the thought that nobody has 'complained' at the lyrics of some of Mr Furniers songs but then of course it's just music and I suspect children will be going to school tomorrow Wink Shocked Roll Eyes

PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #296 on: September 09, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »

But if an artist expresses a political view in a song, they are inviting us to join a debate, aren't they? You can't always separate the two. In fact you would be doing the artist a disservice if you did.
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #297 on: September 09, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »

But if an artist expresses a political view in a song, they are inviting us to join a debate, aren't they? You can't always separate the two. In fact you would be doing the artist a disservice if you did.

Agreed.

'Mixing pop and politics, he asks me what the use is
I offer him embarrassment and my usual excuses...
'

To which I can only add:

'We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon...'

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #298 on: September 09, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »

Do Tranmere still have their home games on Friday night if one of the bigger 2 teams on Merseyside are at home on the Saturday?

In a word - No. They play on Saturday now.
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #299 on: September 09, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »

I agree with the sentiment that you can't always separate the songs and the views of many artists from both sides of the political divide, however I'm not sure I can find any overt or covert espousal of beliefs in the lyrics of Mr. Ferry's many songs. Agreed that son Otis appears to be a bit of a plunker but should that cloud the judgement of whether Ferry Senior is still a consummate performer and well worth a headlining slot at Croppers ? I think not

Cheers Nigel
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: