TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Woodworm Archives CDs  (Read 29466 times)
RobertL

« on: October 02, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »

Hi all. New to the board and wanted to see if anyone would happen to have any knowledge of the following:

1). There was some great stuff from Peggy's Woodworm Archives that was released on Talking Elephant but it's been quite some time since anything has surfaced. Is this project DOA, or would someone know if anything is forthcoming?

2). Scrum-Half Bricking - I've heard snippets of this and it seems like quite a good show. Would anyone know if this is still available anywhere?

3). Has the performance of Liege & Lief from Cropredy in 2007 been released officially on CD or DVD?

4). I was fortunate to grab copies of AT2/The Boot and The Other Boot/The Third Leg when they were released by Woodworm. Unfortunately, I lost CD2 from The Other Boot/Third Leg during a move and wish to replace it. Has anyone heard if these may be reissued being that it's now 10-years on?

5). Lastly, with the release of the Live at the BBC box set and the Maidstone 1970 DVD/CD, has all of the available material from the Full House line-up been made available?

Cheers for any help and info.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »

Hi Robert

1) DOA

2) You see it on eBay now and again

3) No, but it's readily available in all the usual places

4) Nope, for the same reasons as 1) but someone here may be able to help?

5) One can but pray for something else, but I doubt it...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertL

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:25:43 PM »

Hi David,
Many thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll have to pick-up a copy of The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood on Amazon. It appears that I can salvage 6 of the 8 tracks lost with the misplacement of CD2 of The Other Boot/The Third Leg. With all of the compilations in the marketplace rehashing so much of the Woodworm era recordings, it genuinely boggles that the '82 & '87 Cropredy stuff has yet to be released in its entirety.
Cheers,
RL
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »

5). Lastly, with the release of the Live at the BBC box set and the Maidstone 1970 DVD/CD, has all of the available material from the Full House line-up been made available?

There's the Pop 2 show from French TV which still exists. 30 mins (Dirty Linen/Sloth/Journeyman's Grace) recorded at the Taverne de l'Olympia in Paris and broadcast in December 1970. It was on YouTube for a while but seems to have disappeared - would make an excellent DVD release together with the Baton Rouge footage from '68.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »

There's the Pop 2 show from French TV which still exists. 30 mins (Dirty Linen/Sloth/Journeyman's Grace) recorded at the Taverne de l'Olympia in Paris and broadcast in December 1970. It was on YouTube for a while but seems to have disappeared - would make an excellent DVD release together with the Baton Rouge footage from '68.

Indeed it would - absolutely superb footage.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »

Jules

THere's also some interview foorage on You Tube right now of the Full House line-up (maybe relaxing at the Angel?)
RobertL

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

Sadly, I've never seen the French TV footage. Is the Baton Rouge footage also from a television broadcast or was it from tape archives?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:48:11 AM »

Sadly, I've never seen the French TV footage. Is the Baton Rouge footage also from a television broadcast or was it from tape archives?

It's actually 'Bouton Rouge' footage, from a French television show recorded in Paris in 1968.

Excerpts from it have been used on various FC videos and a snippet was used on 'Folk Britannia'

The three songs are on youtube. In black and white. Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Col D

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »

It's actually 'Bouton Rouge' footage, from a French television show recorded in Paris in 1968.

Excerpts from it have been used on various FC videos and a snippet was used on 'Folk Britannia'

The three songs are on youtube. In black and white. Smiley

Yes, Bouton Rouge of course, I was getting confused with the city in Louisiana. It's an age thing  Roll Eyes

I'm assuming there might be something in the pipeline regarding the colour footage?
Col D

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »

Sadly, I've never seen the French TV footage.

I think you can buy a download of the full programme (5 December 1970) that includes the Fairport footage direct from the French TV station if you can work out how to navigate their website.  

www.ina.fr

It's also quite easily available on the net if you dig around, although the most common version in circulation is black and white rather than the original colour.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »

I think you can buy a download of the full programme (5 December 1970) that includes the Fairport footage direct from the French TV station if you can work out how to navigate their website.  

www.ina.fr  

That's interesting!  How much money are we talking?

Jules

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »

Removed reference to a bootleg site.

Please remember that we do not promote the trading/selling of illegal recordings on this board.

Thanks

Barry
Global Moderator
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:37:16 PM by Barry » Logged

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
RobertL

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »

Thanks Jude & Col D, I appreciate the info and the correction! I was thinking Louisiana as well. I'll check YouTube.

Col D

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 11:03:32 PM »

www.ina.fr  

That's interesting!  How much money are we talking?

Jules

I'm not sure, I've never tried myself as the site is pretty difficult to understand and find your way around - even the version in English - but a friend of mine traded with a guy who had bought masses of stuff from there. However a lot of what I've seen is black and white, which I think may have something to do with the conflict between the French SECAM system and PAL.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:54 AM »

However a lot of what I've seen is black and white, which I think may have something to do with the conflict between the French SECAM system and PAL.

That rings a bell.  I once bought a Serge Gainsbourg video collection in France - it only played in b+w back home.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »

Removed reference to a bootleg site.

Please remember that we do not promote the trading/selling of illegal recordings on this board.

Thanks

Barry
Global Moderator

Would that be my post? If so I apologise - I was fooled by the fact that products for sale on the page I linked to seem to be official releases.

Well I never did..
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 04:34:26 AM »

Jules

Ye sages probably know this already, but that Taverne de l'Olympia footage also includes Sir B. McKenzie's (following Journeyman's Grace) and (to close the program) Walk Awhile.  Yeah, these clips seem to come and go, sometimes black & white and sometimes in color.

As I type, Walk Awhile is on YouTube in full color  Smiley

Is it only rumor that the Bouton Rouge (better spell that correctly if Jude is reading!) performance exists somewhere in color also?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 07:30:44 AM »

Is it only rumor that the Bouton Rouge (better spell that correctly if Jude is reading!) performance exists somewhere in color also?

Well it's a rumour I've heard too.  In fact I even have a vague memory of having seen a song in colour on the web one time....

Jules

Col D

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »

Not a rumour, it was certainly in colour originally. For years I'd assumed it only existed in slightly grainy black and white - every version I'd seen had been like that - until BBC4 included an extract on their RT documentary a few years ago - not just in colour but in far better quality than I'd seen up to that point. A while ago all three songs appeared very briefly on YouTube in colour but were pulled almost immediately. There was some discussion on TAW and if I remember correctly it was pulled at the request of the copyright holder. I got the impression someone might have licensed the colour version for some future project and was protecting their interests, although that is probably just wishfull thinking on my part.

Have a look at this from TAW in 2005, there's some interesting background to how the footage was originally discovered.

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=11516.15

Interesting about the Pop 2 1970 film, I've just checked my copy and it does have Sir B McKenzie's but not Talk Awhile, so I'm guessing my copy is incomplete, time to get searching again. This really deserves an official release, a much better representation of the Full House line-up than Maidstone IMHO.
RobertL

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 01:53:46 AM »

If I recall, at some point in the mid-'80s, there were two "official" live releases recorded in Australia. 'Here Live Tonight' and 'More Live Tonight.' Were these similar to the original cassette tape issues of AT2 & The Boot? I've never seen nor heard these and was curious as to the quality of the recordings as well as the track listings?  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: