TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:24:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thea Gilmore album of Sandy songs  (Read 69556 times)
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

I'm looking nervously at it.  I'm a big fan of Thea's but I'm worried about the "unpublished lyrics" bit.  Hoping it'll be good though.

Well, I can state for the record that I've found some projects along the same line to be quite decent albums.  I like both
of the Billy Bragg/Wilco Mermaid Avenue takes on Woody Guthrie lyrics, as well as Jonatha Brooke's album from Woody Guthrie
lyrics.  Those both come from the very prolific Woody Guthrie, who had a much longer life, I do realize that Sandy's life
was far too short and she may have had some reason or other not to record the lyrics for these songs, it may also be that she
just didn't get around to it or never got the music done to go with the lyrics.  
At any rate, I trust Thea as a songwriter/performer to know if they were viable for her to feel
comfortable doing this, and don't see her as the type to do it if she didn't think an album's worth existed.
No reason to expect it to sound like Sandy, just reason to expect it to sound like Thea, but perhaps with some Sandy lyric
resonance for those of us who know and love Sandy's songs.  And it could well lead to others discovering Sandy doing
her own stuff, which is never a bad thing.
I'm sure there had to be some sort of permission from the Denny estate, so I'd say anyone uncomfortable with the concept
doesn't have to go anywhere near it, but they might miss out on something very unique/worthwhile.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:35:09 PM »

But no one's even said why they are negative, Mr mjs....fair comment, I think.

Come on guys, just why do you think as you do?

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »

I'll just quietly put my hand up and say that this sounds like an interesting experiment that I'd quite like to hear as soon as it's ready...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »

Not entirely sure it needs explaining, but because you asked so nicely...

Because it's a sign of an artist having run out of their own ideas, and because it (almost - I might go along with Mermaid Ave as an exception to the rule) never works.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »

Because it's a sign of an artist having run out of their own ideas, and because it (almost - I might go along with Mermaid Ave as an exception to the rule) never works.

Its a more a sign of someone/some company suggesting the idea to the artist.  I doubt Ms. Gilmore woke up one morning and decided that her next project should be to write and record music to previously unheard Sandy Denny lyrics.  I understand why there is an announcement of what the new recording involves, but had she simply recorded and released the album with no mention of Sandy, the material would succeed or fail entirely on its own merits.

Personally I'd prefer to have a new album of her own/co-written original material but I can see why a singer-songwriter might be tempted to boost their profile by recording works associated with a higher profile writer..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »

I'm not sure if I should be doing this, but here's what Thea has said in her Angels forum...

This is why I hate labels.. they tell you something is secret and they go and post it up on Play and HMV.

There is a project in the works.. not actually out in September, the date is wrong, but it will be out this year and it is a collaboration with Sandy Denny (I know she died before I was born.. I promise I will explain)

I was expressly told not to tell anyone (it all sounds so secondary school doesn't it) so I probably shouldn't elaborate much more until I get a formal green light, but its an album of brand new songs and its not finished yet.. but its on its way to sounding immense (in my opinion). Its also a pretty daunting task!

Sorry for the veils and secrecy, and I'm even more sorry that you guys have found out from a source other than me.. but I will keep you properly informed as soon as I'm allowed. Til then, I have to be all tight lipped!

T xxxx

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »

Its a more a sign of someone/some company suggesting the idea to the artist.  I doubt Ms. Gilmore woke up one morning and decided that her next project should be to write and record music to previously unheard Sandy Denny lyrics.  I understand why there is an announcement of what the new recording involves, but had she simply recorded and released the album with no mention of Sandy, the material would succeed or fail entirely on its own merits.

Personally I'd prefer to have a new album of her own/co-written original material but I can see why a singer-songwriter might be tempted to boost their profile by recording works associated with a higher profile writer..

How cynical a view is that?!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »

I'm saddened by some of the views on this thread.
When it's released i'll listen to it. (like i would with any piece of music that catches my attention)
If I like it I like it, end of story. ( like i do with any piece of music that catches my attention)
Isn't that the way it works.? I certainly won't judge it til i've heard it.
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »

You clearly know nothing about Thea.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 12:12:45 AM »

You clearly know nothing about Thea.

Correct, other than her music which I have heard.  Jeez: I wish I hadn't bothered chipping in to this thread at all, as clearly the ill feeling it is generating outweighs the merits of the debate about the projected album.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 01:33:25 AM »

It is surprising how certain artists generate such strong feeling, it is both a testament to their art and a hindrance at times, my guess is any artist would be flattered by an honest attempt at versions of their songs otherwise there would be very few cover versions in the world, if this is like the Mermaid Ave project someone will have requested the artist.

This seems very different a type of project and will once released I am sure generate much debate. Thea Gimore is taking on a daunting task, I am sure she will do this with integrity and the finished piece of work will be worth at least a respectful listen if people choose to. Until its released though who really knows what it will sound like.

Until then lets stay on topic and be nice to each other.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »

I am looking forward to it, whenever it gets released, and hope to like it. I like Thea's own stuff. I also like what she did with covers on Loft Music.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »

I'm not in the slightest bit precious about other people recording Sandy Denny's songs - some people's versions I like, some I don't.  What bothers me a bit is the "unpublished" thing.  Unlike say Mermaid Avenue, where there were an awful lot of Guthrie lyrics available, I'd have thought that with all the reissues, box sets and so on that what's left may be not up to much.  I'll just have to trust to Thea Gilmore's quality control radar, which judging by her own releases should be in fine working order, and await results.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

I'm not in the slightest bit precious about other people recording Sandy Denny's songs - some people's versions I like, some I don't.  What bothers me a bit is the "unpublished" thing.  Unlike say Mermaid Avenue, where there were an awful lot of Guthrie lyrics available, I'd have thought that with all the reissues, box sets and so on that what's left may be not up to much.  I'll just have to trust to Thea Gilmore's quality control radar, which judging by her own releases should be in fine working order, and await results.

I'd substitute "intrigues/interests" for the word bothers in the above sentence to describe how I feel about it.  I absolutely am curious how Thea came to the project, whether it was someone from the Denny estate who liked her work asking her if she could do something with the unfinished lyrics, or if she heard they existed and inquired as to whether they were something she could pursue.  From the earlier posting it sounds as though she isn't at liberty to discuss this project much at all at this point, which leads to speculation.  Funny that there is a ten track listing when it seems as though she is only partially through the process of it.  That makes one worry that someone is rushing her along.  Some artists work well to a deadline, some don't.  I just think the whole concept is a different sort of animal.  I don't really know if someone who discovered a drawer full of Klimt sketches should be given permission to turn them into finished paintings by the Klimt estate, but with the ability to scan the sketches and not change the actual sketches, what harm is there in seeing what could be done with them?
The lyrics exist, but will only be brought to any kind of life/awareness if someone sets them to music and sings them.  If I didn't like Thea's own writing/singing/playing, it wouldn't concern me because I could totally ignore the album.  As it is, I do like Thea and think that if she
feels it is worthy of doing, I will find it worth giving a listen, and have every hope that it will be a wonderful listening experience I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »

Unpublished, not necessarily unfinished.

NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »

This is why I hate labels.. they tell you something is secret and they go and post it up on Play and HMV.

There is a project in the works.. not actually out in September, the date is wrong, but it will be out this year and it is a collaboration with Sandy Denny (I know she died before I was born.. I promise I will explain)

I was expressly told not to tell anyone (it all sounds so secondary school doesn't it) so I probably shouldn't elaborate much more until I get a formal green light, but its an album of brand new songs and its not finished yet.. but its on its way to sounding immense (in my opinion). Its also a pretty daunting task!

I guess I would say my reading of this indicates that for it to be "collaboration" there is something incomplete about what Thea was given to work with, and that might mean Thea had access to some complete lyrics by Sandy that she needed/wanted to put to music, or it might mean she had fragmentary lyrics by Sandy that she wanted to flesh out and add to as well.  I tend to think that at this point if actual demos of Sandy doing these as songs existed, someone probably would have squeezed them out already.

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

There are (thin) parallels. Mike Scott puts Yeats to music,  Eddie Reader does the same to Robbie Burns etc
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »

Neil

Why on this forum, if you disagree with the expected answer to a point of view, are you always told  'be nice to each other'?   It's a discussion we are enjoying, not an argument.  Huh

No Left Turn Unstoned
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »

Neil

Why on this forum, if you disagree with the expected answer to a point of view, are you always told  'be nice to each other'?   It's a discussion we are enjoying, not an argument.  Huh

Absolutely right. Now do it nicely.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »

Slightly veering off topic a little, but Thea Gilmore has just posted "Stirrings..."

I wish her luck and happiness with her imminent arrival!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: