TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:25:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thea Gilmore album of Sandy songs  (Read 69561 times)
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »

One of the best albums I have heard for years, I never realised what a good voice Thea's is. Her "yodelling" bits remind me of Sara McLachlan.

To my ears a couple of tracks sound like "an Albion Band"  Grin
David Blake

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »

There's a 4 star review in the Financial Times:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2e08bec4-08f1-11e1-9fe8-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1dW0E32RN

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »

"Gilmore... makes no attempt to mimic Denny’s dreamy drift or her heavy vibrato" (FT reviewer)

cf.

"(Denny) was a perfect British folk voice. Not a trace of vibrato. Pure and easy" (Pete Townshend).

They can't both be right, can they?
 Huh

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »

"Gilmore... makes no attempt to mimic Denny’s dreamy drift or her heavy vibrato" (FT reviewer)

cf.

"(Denny) was a perfect British folk voice. Not a trace of vibrato. Pure and easy" (Pete Townshend).

They can't both be right, can they?
 Huh
I remember that quote from Townshend and thought at the time that he must have been listening to someone else.

Just to add, I bought the album yesterday and after a couple of plays I'm very impressed and certainly don't agree with the Mojo review.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »

I remember that quote from Townshend and thought at the time that he must have been listening to someone else.

Pete Townshend is an absolute hero of mine: one of the finest, most perceptive songwriters in the history of popular music, and an incredible showman. But he doesn't half talk some rubbish.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »

Pete Townshend is an absolute hero of mine: one of the finest, most perceptive songwriters in the history of popular music, and an incredible showman. But he doesn't half talk some rubbish.
Bless him!!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »

Like rather than love it I think.

You can tell they are Sandy's songs though, they have a definate air of Sandydennyishness that you cant miss.

Glistening Bay is fantastic, although kicking off an album with the best track is an interesting strategy. I'm glad I'm not the only person to think that Kate Bush would have been fantastic on Frozen Time.

My main reservation is that (like some of Sandys later stuff) the arangements are over-done. SOme of these songs would be much better with just a voice and a piano.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
David Blake

« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »

Thea was on the Andrew Marr programme on BBC1 this morning.  She sang 'Don't Stop Singing'.  Not my favourite from the CD.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »

Thea was on the Andrew Marr programme on BBC1 this morning.  She sang 'Don't Stop Singing'.  Not my favourite from the CD.

nor mine.
 still, it was a nice surprise seeing her doing it when i walked into the paper shop this morning

The Dude abides
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »

My main reservation is that (like some of Sandys later stuff) the arangements are over-done. SOme of these songs would be much better with just a voice and a piano.

Don't worry. You will be able to buy the piano and vocal demo versions in a 19 CD "Thea Gilmore does Sandy Denny" boxed set in a few years time.

David Blake

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »

I won't worry.  Thea will put out more of her great self-penned (music and lyrics) CDs before that...
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »

Don't worry. You will be able to buy the piano and vocal demo versions in a 19 CD "Thea Gilmore does Sandy Denny" boxed set in a few years time.

Such cynicism!  Grin

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »

I just finished my first listen through this album, and I can definitely say I'm glad to have it.  It works well as an album,
and I think I'd feel that way even if I wasn't already a big fan of both Sandy's work and Thea's work.  For me, both
the lyrics and the music have enough of the "feel" of sufficiently Sandy qualities to make it feel like a labor of love
and tribute.  It truly is an entity unto itself.  I think Thea did a wonderful job of getting a mood from the written
words and transforming into fully realized songs.  Nothing seems slavishly done to any preconceived notion, but yet
there is a spirit to it that feels collaborative in a fully realized manner years after the fact.  Don't know how many people
could've pulled that off, but as I listen again while typing this, I'm glad Thea had the opportunity to try and rose to the occasion.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »

I just finished my first listen through this album, and I can definitely say I'm glad to have it.  It works well as an album,
and I think I'd feel that way even if I wasn't already a big fan of both Sandy's work and Thea's work.  For me, both
the lyrics and the music have enough of the "feel" of sufficiently Sandy qualities to make it feel like a labor of love
and tribute.  It truly is an entity unto itself.  I think Thea did a wonderful job of getting a mood from the written
words and transforming into fully realized songs.  Nothing seems slavishly done to any preconceived notion, but yet
there is a spirit to it that feels collaborative in a fully realized manner years after the fact.  Don't know how many people
could've pulled that off, but as I listen again while typing this, I'm glad Thea had the opportunity to try and rose to the occasion.

That's so well written and about sums up my feeling about the album. I think it's been beautifuly done and happy to have it amongst my Sandy collection  Smiley

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2011, 01:27:13 PM »

Finally got my hands on this - it's really good - I'll summarise it as not quite a Sandy Denny album, not quite a Thea Gilmore album either but none the worse for it !
David Blake

« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »

I see that Thea is singing the entire album at Cecil Sharp House on 4 February.
claire

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »

We are going to Cecil Sharp House tonight to see/hear the above.  Hope it doesn't snow later!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »

I'm in to take photos so long as the snow forecast holds off

StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »

How was the concert? We were in Malaga for the weekend (also very cold!) so couldn't go. Did the BBC record it?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »

Nothing recorded - gig was superb. Even Thea's young kid played the fiddle - he must only be 3ish....

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: