TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:09:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Saga of Simon's Solo Albums  (Read 18896 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »

The "Close to the Wind" on Amazon is listed as DVD Audio from 2004 and is tracks from "Red and Gold" and "The Five Seasons."

"Close to the White Bear" is only available through their Marketplace for £49.95!
I thought I had managed to secure it at a more reasonable price a few years ago, when I ordered it from Atrax/Artax?, but unfortunately that closed down before I got my copy. The cheque disappeared (it was never cashed, I hasten to add), so I imagined the order lying somewhere on a disused doormat until thrown away. One day I'll get to hear it...

I hadn't realised that this was such a rarity! I picked up a copy when it was first issued as I was going through something of a FC completist phase at the time! In the context of this discussion I am slightly ashamed to say that I have probably only listened to it twice, as it seems there are many people who would like to hear it. I think I should dig it out again and give it another spin. Definitely worth having for the studio take of Close To The Wind though.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »

There's the clue then - check out Voiceprint Records - not Talking Elephant....

Did talking Elephant used to be HTD records? What happened to HTD?

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »

HTD was sold to someone else.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:38 AM »

Blimey, I don't post in a while and people are starting to forget my name....and talk about me in the past tense....  Grin (ooh....the smiley's are hexagonal....they were round last time I was on).

Nothing to worry about, was out of action for a few weeks earlier in the year and have been trying to make up lost time since so have just got out of the habit of regularly logging in/on.

I haven't had a chance to get to the origin of this thread so apologies if I'm covering old ground but:

'Close To The Wind' was originally the 1984 studio album by Simon & Swarb but has never been available on CD individually - only as the studio half of the 'Close To The White Bear' CD (with a track missing from both albums). Superb album, lots of familiar Swarb & Nicol fare with the tunes etc, but also the real genesis of the new Fairport in the shape of the band recording of 'Close To The Wind'.

The other 'Close To The Wind' was one of the first (if not the first) of the budget Woodworm era compilations (although in this case it was actually full price). CD in about 1998 and then DVD audio a few years later. It's almost all of 'Red & Gold' and 'The Five Seasons', both very good albums (I was playing the former yesterday funnily enough).

Anne - I think your order would have been before my time (to reference another of Simon's LPs) but can only assume it went astray or Swarb had no copies left. I had quite a number of enquries about the CD when the two Atrax Swarb & Nicol CDs were being heavily plugged but I definitely replied to all of those.

I do have a very small number of copies of the 'Close To The White Bear' CD - with a bonus CD featuring the omitted tracks: a tune set and Simon's fab solo version of Pavanne - and they're just taking up space here so if Anne or anyone else wants to drop me an email or IM I'll try to help you out.

Carey was just about the No 1 Swarb & Nicol fan and the driving force/nagger-in-chief behind 'Another Fine Mess' (alright matey!  Fez) so I'll pop a cheque in the post to Cancer Research with any proceeds.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »

Just a PS regarding HTD:

It's a slightly unusual one in that the name and the back catalogue was sold but the company has carried on under the Talking Elephant name, and in fact are still using HTD as the name of their 'Music Store' (selling non Talking Elephant items). In effect it just means that the 1993-2000ish HTD CDs, including some great Albion Band releases, are hard to get hold of.

Barry & Malcolm are wonderful chaps so I'd highly recommend paying them a visit, either for the Talking Elephant CDs (Fairport, Albions, Morris On) or as an alternative to Amazon, HMV, etc for anything else.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »

The "Close to the White Bear" album is really good.I got mine from the localrecord library which always seems to have a very good selection of folk/roots music. Obviously the sandal wearing bearded librarians are the same sandal wearing bearded people at folk clubs!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 04:46:06 PM »

The "Close to the White Bear" album is really good.I got mine from the localrecord library which always seems to have a very good selection of folk/roots music. Obviously the sandal wearing bearded librarians are the same sandal wearing bearded people at folk clubs!

I sincerely hope that you do not count our Jude as a "sandal wearing bearded librarian", she has only ever fitted two of those categories!!

Jackdaw
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 04:55:31 PM »

I sincerely hope that you do not count our Jude as a "sandal wearing bearded librarian", she has only ever fitted two of those categories!!

Jackdaw

Actually only one category, that of wearing sandals!

I didn't get a librarian qualification due to some band or another persuadiing me to go on the road with them, and there was no contest really..... Wink

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

Objection, your Honour! I don't see any sandal wearing, bearded librarian colleagues around me in my daily work. Angry I thought that the sandal wearing, bearded folk clubbie was extinct, too! Grin Grin Grin
 But "Close To The White Bear" must be really good - I have the old vinyls and I enjoy them a lot.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 09:40:45 PM »

One of my more prised psessions is my original vinyl of "Live At The White Bear." Purchased over the bar of the said pub from the fair hand of Mr Cutts himself.

As an aside I was in the White Bear last week. They are currently going through a major building project which will see them offering accommodation, but the good news is that at least some of the Jethro Tull memorabilia still adorn the walls (Along with the extract from Michael Theakston's will).

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 12:22:07 AM »

HTD was sold to someone else.

Who? None of the old HTD stuff is available anymore... Sonja Kristina, Dunford's Renaissance, the Caravan Acoustic albums...

Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Hark at me!

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 12:29:12 AM »

Just a PS regarding HTD:

It's a slightly unusual one in that the name and the back catalogue was sold but the company has carried on under the Talking Elephant name, and in fact are still using HTD as the name of their 'Music Store' (selling non Talking Elephant items). In effect it just means that the 1993-2000ish HTD CDs, including some great Albion Band releases, are hard to get hold of.

Barry & Malcolm are wonderful chaps so I'd highly recommend paying them a visit, either for the Talking Elephant CDs (Fairport, Albions, Morris On) or as an alternative to Amazon, HMV, etc for anything else.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but they sold the name and back catalogue to someone - but the back catalogue is no longer available, the name doesn't exist anymore anywhere and the artists on HTD are releasing new stuff on Talking Elephant?  Huh

I remember about 2 years ago a whole bunch of Albion Band compilations appeared in my local FOPP (Leamington) - 5 quid each. They seemed to be compilations of stuff from the "HTD" years.

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 09:45:37 AM »

it is alex lyons not alex mowbray who used to be atrax

.............and if you want to really confuse the issue, FAC played the Artrix at Bromsgrove last night - see seperate thread!!

steve
irishenglish

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 03:35:22 AM »

Upon reviewing this thread, I got out my Double CD of Before Your Time/Consonant Please Carol that was released on folkprint a couple of years back. Everything fine, except they neglected songwriting and musician credits for the last three songs on Consonant-Middle Ground, the wonderful Danny's Song, and Rhapsoblue/Telstar. Well, alright, I know where Rhapsoblue and Telstar come from, but would love to know who played what!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2007, 09:13:59 AM »

Here you go, IE - from the original CD booklet...

Middle Ground (Mary Chapin Carpenter)
Simon - Santa Cruz; Hi-strung; Vanden mandolin
Gerry: drums
Maart: Rob Armstrong fretless acoustic bass; accordion; Guild 12-string; Roland HP300 piano
Sheryl & Sheila, Pete (Zorn): backing vocals

Danny's Song (Michael Blanchard)
Simon: triple-tracked Santa Cruz and Yamaha 305SE; Roland D50; finger cymbals (well, Chris Pegg's sherry glasses, actually)
Sir Danny Thompson: Victoria T.S.B.

Rhapsoblue in D/Telstar (Gershwin/Meek)
Simon: parlour guitar; Rickenbacker 12-string; Santa Cruz; Fender Stratocaster; percussion
Maart: Lowden LSE1 acoustic (lead line); rhythm programming; Roland U20 and JV80

Cheers
PT

Flobbadob!
irishenglish

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »

PaulT, Thank you very much, Cheers!
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2007, 12:22:42 PM »

Thanks to Alex I've now got my copy of "Close to the White Bear" and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who might want to take him up on his offer. There are some splendiferous tunes on it which must have required very nimble fingers, but also some very beautiful, haunting slower pieces.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: