TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 31, 2024, 09:50:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 856343 times)
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2100 on: May 29, 2024, 01:19:51 PM »

Thanks for that. Saw the Bristol gig and it was just as the review says. A minor stumble over a lyric here or there but a refreshing and varied set. Jack Hobbs is a very fine player and has mastered a lot of his Grandad's technique. Loved the interplay between the two of them.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2101 on: Yesterday at 08:19:04 PM »

Here’s another. Yes, before you mention it, ‘Zac’.  Wink https://louderthanwar.com/richard-thompson-bristol-beacon-live-review/

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2102 on: Today at 09:29:37 AM »

Here’s another. Yes, before you mention it, ‘Zac’.  Wink https://louderthanwar.com/richard-thompson-bristol-beacon-live-review/

Hmmm. I'm fairly certain Beeswing wouldn't have been my highlight of the concert.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2103 on: Today at 10:30:01 AM »

Hmmm. I'm fairly certain Beeswing wouldn't have been my highlight of the concert.

Well, you weren't there, so... Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2104 on: Today at 10:34:27 AM »

But I have heard another of the gigs.  And I'm not a particular fan (that's probably overstating it, but I don't think it's an automatic Top 3 RT song like most seem to) of the song, so on balance I reckon I'll allow my own opinion to stand...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2105 on: Today at 11:25:20 AM »

Thanks for the review, pretty much says what I wouldn't have the words to say. Zac it is from now on!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2106 on: Today at 11:43:43 AM »

But I have heard another of the gigs.  And I'm not a particular fan (that's probably overstating it, but I don't think it's an automatic Top 3 RT song like most seem to) of the song, so on balance I reckon I'll allow my own opinion to stand...

I'm with you David. There are two songs that I slightly dread at any RT show ( though I am not seeing this tour). One is Beeswing. The other is 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. I appreciate that this is a minority view.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2107 on: Today at 12:28:58 PM »

I'm with you David. There are two songs that I slightly dread at any RT show ( though I am not seeing this tour). One is Beeswing. The other is 1952 Vincent Black Lightning. I appreciate that this is a minority view.

Heresy! He's a witch!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2108 on: Today at 12:43:24 PM »

Heresy! He's a witch!

Jules

Snigger.  What have I started?  Vincent isn't in my Top 10 either...I kind of respect it rather than love it.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2109 on: Today at 04:12:55 PM »

Snigger.  What have I started?  Vincent isn't in my Top 10 either...I kind of respect it rather than love it.

In theory, I'd think the same. He's always guaranteed to play it, so by rights it should be overfamiliar. But then the song begins, and before long I'm weeping buckets. Every single time. Masterpiece.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2110 on: Today at 05:12:34 PM »

Damned if he plays VBL, damned if he doesn't.
What's a master songsmith who's never really had a hit to do ?
Play what's arguably his nearest equivalent.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: