TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:48:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50:50@50 Tour  (Read 87447 times)
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2017, 01:05:45 AM »

FWIW I reckon it's bloody marvelous the lads are still recording, touring, and producing Cropredy.
Glad to see Peggy's mantra in the darkest hours still holds true..one just has to....  "bollock on" Smiley
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:22 AM »

FWIW I reckon it's bloody marvelous the lads are still recording, touring, and producing Cropredy.
Glad to see Peggy's mantra in the darkest hours still holds true..one just has to....  "bollock on" Smiley

And so say all of us! Having first heard fairports leige and lief at the age of 10, whilst sitting on top of a narrowboat , I never in my wildest dreams thought some 40 odd years later i would still be going to see them on tour! So yes "bollock on" lads!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »

I have 'folky' friends who don't like Sandy's voice

Names and addresses please - they need a visit.   Sad Smiley

Addresses sent. Be gentle with them?
Do you like the Incredible String Band?
You may want to consider your answer! Grin Grin Wink

ISB?  Always been top favourites of mine.  

Saved!!!!! Ignore the knocking on your door.......or you could invite Big Brian and Knuckles O'Teef in for a cup of tea and show them your copy of Wee Tam and the Big Huge. Roll Eyes

I can't lay my hands on that album currently!  

No Left Turn Unstoned
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »

Jay and Silent Bob strike back, comes to mind

More like a visit from the folk wing of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »

Great show at the Union Chapel. Sold-out show, and a receptive audience who warmed up as the evening went on (big cheers for a few songs). I thought it was a good set list (nice to hear Sir Pat and Genesis Hall again). Playing was excellent all night. We sat next to Frank Skinner, who looked like he had a good time. I left feeling in a thoroughly good mood!

Does anyone know if the top 20 song request that was made in last years programme dropped? It wasn't mentioned. I'd love to know what songs made up the list!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »

Great show at the Union Chapel. Sold-out show, and a receptive audience who warmed up as the evening went on (big cheers for a few songs). I thought it was a good set list (nice to hear Sir Pat and Genesis Hall again). Playing was excellent all night. We sat next to Frank Skinner, who looked like he had a good time. I left feeling in a thoroughly good mood!

Does anyone know if the top 20 song request that was made in last years programme dropped? It wasn't mentioned. I'd love to know what songs made up the list!

Was at same gig for my birthday...agree with the above and 2nd half better than 1st half which was a bit lacklustre to my ears...slightly worrying though was Peggy spending a large portion of the set seated, is this an indication that age is catching up and he may be thinking of ending going on tours?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »

Isn't that the Birthday gig there in May will be based around? I think tgat's what Peggy said during one of their tour dates....

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »

Isn't that the Birthday gig there in May will be based around? I think tgat's what Peggy said during one of their tour dates....
ah, you could be right, Chris. Guess I'll find out in May!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2017, 07:50:24 AM »

(So I read online) Maart in P'boro apparently (1 song with Sally in t'first half + MOTL)....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
sirspens (John)

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »

So, lasr night to The Winding Wheel at Chesterfield for my first FC gig in a decade. Those who read my (re)intro to this site at http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=28526.msg709370#msg709370 will have seen that up to 2007 I had been getting less and less enthusiastic about the band and it's output post Chris Leslie, to such an extent that I wondered why I still went to something that since the early 80s had been my winter highlight prompting attendance at several dates on each WinTour.The past decade of buying and listening to execrable albums had done little to re-enthuse me and I play solely “older” FC stuff these days. A pre-listen to 50:50 left me cold, but as it IS a celebration I decided to go to this WinTour in hope rather than expectation, and I approached last night with a sense of foreboding but went with an open mind and the hope I would find that the band failed to meet my expectations and would rise above all the recent pap. In summary, to save anyone the trouble if not really interested, then I'd say it was  not quite 50:50 but I didn't come away TOO disappointed;

I've been to this venue several times, so was prepared for the ass-numbing temporary chairs.This was definitely no sell out- loads of empty seats even in the first rows (I was in B) and a pretty lack-lustre audience, mostly old gits like me! Ric introduced Sally Barker – never heard of her, wouldn't be bothered if I never saw her again, too much “la la la”ing (though in song 2 it was just one forgotten line- not one of the openers you remember like John B Spencer but pleasant enough.

And so to the main event. I've read the setlist for previous dates, and I know that this, and the schtick/patter/jokes don't generally vary from night to night-- this show was as per the Union Chapel date, And off we go with  the utter pap of “The Bus”; p-- WTF?, open a 50th celebration with THIS? On to Genesis Hall-- quiet, understated,listenable, but underpinned by an annoyinf plinking on CL's mandolin. Then another whimsical ramble about DIY before another CL travesty of no consequence called “Devils Work”- best say nowt else about this rubbish, Onto “Now be Thankful”, a song I can listen to forever,AND unbelievably I enjoy CL singing most of this  and the mandolin was a bit more toned down- the show was improving!To Danny Jack, and it's OK but unmemorable, then the utter sh1te of Summer by the Cherwell- uh oh, the thing's plummeting again! And am I the only one who is thoroughly sick of the overuse of the mandolin,- Swarb used it occasionally to great effect, tell CL it isn't a lead instrument will ya!I saw him strap on a black and white Stratocaster in 97 (when he replaced Maart) or so,probably against his will, and rock it- dig it out again Chris.WKWTTG is quite lovely- but I know the pasr 10years haven't been kind to me, and Simon's voice has sounded to lack SOMEtthing, a loss of a rich chocolatey sonority it used to have- and that f'ing mandolin is still there,by now I want to grab it,smash it and hide it where CL's sun don't shine! And to the end of the first half- thankfully sans mandolin, oh hell here comes a banjo and a **** song that proves that 20 years on the irritating Anna Ryder can trouble us remotely with this junk about bringing back feathers;;;;

So to what, in less PC days, was called “tiddle break”- God, I needed it. BUT, I has read from previous posts  that side 2 got better, so I lived in hope.

It starts out promising. Simon's changed into a jaunty red and blue striped top, has his Stratocaster on, and seems more “lubricated”. And off with a perennial favourite Sir Patrick-- my heart lifts, the band rocks a bit, I can ignore the f'ing mandolin. Is this going to lay to rest the disappointing Side1?Onto a Sandy section,a nice Fotheringay then with Sally to another fave, Rising for the Moon- I've read conflicting views re this on this thread, I love the song, it was OK, but I feel that it needs a girly singer who CAN “rise” a bit more. The old raging idea of another girl singer has reappeared here, after 40 years of unequivocal statements from the band of “never”- Sally isn't her, Vikki Clayton came closest....

Another, forgettable Portmeirion, then another to my mind rubbish song, Naked Highwayman, not Tilston's best product, and I'm still loathing that mandolin. THEN, in hindsight, it gets to a point from where I think I got my money's worth? Farewell Farewell is lovely, CL's penny whistle gives a charming Gaelic air; My heart sinks briefly- CL goes for the mando, but the unmistakeable opening chords on Simon's guitar of Hiring Fair lift me up, and surprise surprise the mandolin is NICE as an accompanying instrument to this most wonderful of songs. A quick drop back down into inanity and forgettable songs with Elinor's Dream. I really can't get this thing about CL's songs. The topical ones all sound saccharine and trite with predictable rhyme, and as to the “historical” songs, he ain't no Al Stewart for sure! The finale approaches- Matty rocks, I enjoy it, but I want MORE- why oh why the plunking banjo, get a second electric guitar on it and give it some vavavoom and volume! They,re off, back for MOTL, then I'm out of there, another FC gig over.

Overall, it was not as bad as I expected. I came away having enjoyed about a third of it. I'd listened in amazement to more of the recent shite songs- why oh why with a 50 year back catalogue of great songs and tunes do this utter garbage, especially celebrating the 50 years. I know they need to keep it fresh, I know it's said they enjoy the current sound- but I didn't see much joie de vivre last night. I think they could easily cut away the front right fifth of the show, play as a rockier four piece, and do away with CL's input-- or better still, get in another Maart to bring back a harder edge and some greater production-- for example Hiring Fair used to be  great with Mattack' 4 keyboards, it's still lovely but everything can be Improved. Will I go again?- nope, that's me done with FC. It's been nearly 50 years of listening, nearly 35 of WinTours, but unless there's a lineup change for me to see a different show, then I'll be absent. It's been nice fellas, but I don't want comfy,laid back,trite performancessittin' in my ol' armchair with a brandy,roaring fire and Val Doonican jumper. I want rip-roaring folk rock. Little rock, and Simon himself says folk was not that big a part of the whole “canon”. He asks if we enjoyed it, if not let them know- I hope you read this Simon. So on graduation from 50 years (or 20 as the current band) I'd say “could do better”.

I'm sure otheres will disagree. I'm sure those who are CL fans, tell me he's a talented multi-instumentalist and songwriter will say I'm being unfair, but I'm sorry, for me he is the weakest link. GOODBYE!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2017, 09:28:29 AM »

I'm more than happy to read an extended review with thought and reasoning behind it, no matter what the conclusion.  Fez    

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »

John, thank you for the review.
I have been searching for reviews.
Subjective but no the worse for that and honest.

sirspens (John)

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »

Thanks for the understanding responses- and sorry about the typos, I'm just back from France with a laptop with AZERTY keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »

I don't want comfy, laid back,trite performances sittin' in my ol' armchair with a brandy,roaring fire and Val Doonican jumper.

But they do.

It is why this band should probably not be called Fairport Convention because for many people that name sets up an expectation of something that this line up are never going to deliver and have not done so since about the turn of the century.

The decision to replace Maart with a talented, versatile but entirely acoustic musician signalled a change of direction that most of us probably did not pick up on at the time, possibly because they saddled Chris uncomfortably with something hard bodied and electric to play during his first tour. I do agree that it would make a nice change if he would just put down the mandolin and pick up a batocaster (or whatever it was) occasionally and restore some oomph to the sound. It worked well on Spanish Main all those years ago as I recall. But it is clearly never going to happen. It is unfortunate that in this of all years, the selection of original songs from the Chris era (but not by any means all written by Chris) both for the album and the tour have tended towards the trite, singalong, nursery rhyme style. That doesn't have to be the case. It is always going to be a matter of personal taste but there are much more substantial songs even in this part of the band's catalogue.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

And am I the only one who is thoroughly sick of the overuse of the mandolin?

No, Sir. Not by a long shot. I have on occasion wanted to wrench it from Mr Leslie's grasp and smash it to pieces. It works - brilliantly - on a few songs, but it's overuse is affecting their sound to the point that they are no longer folk-rock. I yearn for the days of Maart and his Fender (I think?) giving backbone to the band's sound.

IMHO Chris Leslie is a highly accomplished musician and songwriter and some of his songs have become firm favourites on the Bridgwit jukebox, but please, please Chris - less mando.
 Lips Sealed

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »

What is Simon's voice like on this tour - not seen the band for a couple of years but all the clips I have seen and my snippets of the most recent albums suggest to me it may be, if not totally shot well on the way to it. His overenunciation (sp?) of lyrics, almost comedy piratical "arrr" sound in words and his inability to sing anything even vaguely rocky with any intensity seems to show some issues with his voice possibly leading to song choices being made that he is comfortable singing - essentially very slow ballads.

I understand they are a bit younger but compared to what John Jones still does with the Oysters (and I am guessing he is in his 60's, and Steve Knightley with Show of Hands (who is just 4 years younger than Simon) I find Simon Nicol's voice is almost like it has been recorded at 45 and played at 33 - just doesn't work for me any more.

DW
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »

And am I the only one who is thoroughly sick of the overuse of the mandolin?

No, Sir. Not by a long shot. I have on occasion wanted to wrench it from Mr Leslie's grasp and smash it to pieces. It works - brilliantly - on a few songs, but it's overuse is affecting their sound to the point that they are no longer folk-rock. I yearn for the days of Maart and his Fender (I think?) giving backbone to the band's sound.

IMHO Chris Leslie is a highly accomplished musician and songwriter and some of his songs have become firm favourites on the Bridgwit jukebox, but please, please Chris - less mando.
 Lips Sealed

The problem is, if he doesn't play mando, what does he do? The fiddle position is already taken. That's why his appointment as a replacement for Maart seemed like such a strange decision. It made perfect sense as a stand in for Ric in 1992, which worked brilliantly and resulted in one of the best Fairport gigs I ever saw but when Maart left the decision seems to have been based more on how much they enjoy Chris's company (understandably) rather than what the band needed musically at the time.

What is Simon's voice like on this tour

I agree, I have felt his voice was deteriorating in recent years but he seemed in decent form at the Worthing show. This may be, as you say, down to the material that he now chooses to sing. I have to say that the band's close harmony work at that show was outstanding and far better than we have any right to expect from voices of a certain age. Peggy seems to be key to this, which is odd because I have never really been fond of his occasional lead vocals, of which there is another on the new album.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

His overenunciation (sp?) of lyrics, almost comedy piratical "arrr" sound in words ...

Brilliant! That's exactly what he does sound like at times. Maybe Mark Radcliffe could use his services in Galleon Blast.

Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »

I understand they are a bit younger but compared to what John Jones still does with the Oysters (and I am guessing he is in his 60's, and Steve Knightley with Show of Hands (who is just 4 years younger than Simon)

Wow - he's 62.....I put him in his mid-fifties.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »

I understand they are a bit younger but compared to what John Jones still does with the Oysters (and I am guessing he is in his 60's, and Steve Knightley with Show of Hands (who is just 4 years younger than Simon)

Wow - he's 62.....I put him in his mid-fifties.

and Phil is 63
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: