TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 02, 2024, 10:16:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 219214 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1440 on: May 31, 2024, 06:48:18 PM »

First listen to RT's new album "Ship To Shore", released (finally !) today.

Despite the slightly dodgy artwork (generic fisherman in high-vis, supposed to look a bit like Richard but doesn't really - mind you, Richard's albums aren't generally bought for their artwork), it's reassuringly business as usual from the great man.

His guitar work is as nimble as ever, his new material is very listenable - if anything, the songs on this album sound slightly more mainstream and commercial than some of his recent work - but that's obviously no bad thing. Looking forward to seeing him play this stuff live next week, the tour's been getting rave reviews.

Picked up a copy from Badlands in Cheltenham today. The front bears 2 squiggles (as far as I can tell, not printed?), so I wonder if this is supposed to be an RT signature...

If his signed books are anything to go by that's his signature these days...a hint of an R and T and not much else.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1441 on: May 31, 2024, 07:14:37 PM »

Despite the slightly dodgy artwork (generic fisherman in high-vis, supposed to look a bit like Richard but doesn't really - mind you, Richard's albums aren't generally bought for their artwork), it's reassuringly business as usual from the great man.

His guitar work is as nimble as ever, his new material is very listenable - if anything, the songs on this album sound slightly more mainstream and commercial than some of his recent work - but that's obviously no bad thing. Looking forward to seeing him play this stuff live next week, the tour's been getting rave reviews.

Exactly the problem for me.  It sounds like 'just another RT album'.  Of course, it's not awful - very far from it, but you think you've heard every single track on it before, and you sort of have.  6/10 and I'm being generous.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1442 on: May 31, 2024, 10:46:54 PM »

Exactly the problem for me.  It sounds like 'just another RT album'.  Of course, it's not awful - very far from it, but you think you've heard every single track on it before, and you sort of have.  6/10 and I'm being generous.

Just giving it a first spin and I sort of agree with you. It will of course need several plays to really settle in and there are obviously some good songs here but it does feel as though RT's 21st century output has become a bit generic. The last albums I really connected with were Mock Tudor and The Old Kit Bag, though Dream Attic was conceptually interesting and Sweet Warrior & Still had moments.

It is at least less disappointing than the new Crowded House album wherein Neil Finn continues the struggle to write a memorable melody which has been ongoing since his third solo album (after writing dozens of them in the preceding 20 years).
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1443 on: May 31, 2024, 11:33:04 PM »

First spin via download on my commute home. Physical copy coming tomorrow. Musically it grabbed me more so than most of his recent efforts (with exceptions of course). Need to come to grips with it but I’d say 7.5 out of 10. I think the last true 10 was Mock Tudor, with Dream Attic just behind.

PS-I don’t utterly hate the cover. Deliberately cheesy I’d say!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1444 on: Yesterday at 10:02:07 AM »

First spin via download on my commute home. Physical copy coming tomorrow. Musically it grabbed me more so than most of his recent efforts (with exceptions of course). Need to come to grips with it but I’d say 7.5 out of 10. I think the last true 10 was Mock Tudor, with Dream Attic just behind.

PS-I don’t utterly hate the cover. Deliberately cheesy I’d say!

Yes, I actually like the cover. It is, and is surely intended to be, funny.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1445 on: Yesterday at 04:15:14 PM »

The sleeve, with scrawl...

* RT StS.jpg (816.93 KB, 1560x2080 - viewed 46 times.)

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1446 on: Yesterday at 06:14:00 PM »

"Coral Island" by The Coral.

A strange way to approach this one... a few months ago, I spotted 2 Coral CDs ("Mare Di Specchi" and "Holy Joe's Coral Island Medicine Show") going cheap in HMV, so bought them both.  I subsequently read that these were a natural progression from the original 2CD release, so I purposely haven't listened to either of them.

It took a while, but I finally tracked down a copy for sale at a decent price. I've just started listening to CD1, and I'm enjoying it. Very melodic.

I have to admit I don't remember much about The Coral at Cropredy in 2011 - either I missed them or I was "ver' ver' drunk at the time"...

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: