TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:42:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2015  (Read 106090 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »

Great photo, Col.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:46 PM »

Great photo, Col.
Jules

Thanks, but there is a better photo. However it's huge (over 10,000 pixels high), so won't look great here:

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2015, 08:52:48 PM »

I can see enough to appreciate its splendour!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2015, 08:57:17 PM »

I really enjoyed the concert last night at Union Chapel, I love that venue, don't like having to queue outside though, a necessity if one wishes to be in the front few pews... (wonder what its like up in the balcony area?) Forgot to take my cushion though, no wonder people don't go to church much these days...!  Wink Wink

I liked it that, for a change, Chris didn't play violin, but played many other instruments, including the banjo which gave a wonderful, foot tapping 'Matty' It made such a change to leave out 'duelling' fiddle playing. Several songs from the new album sounded so good, Ralph's 'Clear water' and 'Wild Cape Horn' suit the Fairport style but for me Simon playing more on leccy guitar made it rock. His singing on 'John Condon' moved me to tears almost.

I came away thinking this was the best concert for a couple of years.

Rosie and Kev were a good listen to start the evening too. She does have rather long legs doesn't she?!  Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2015, 10:24:11 PM »

I really enjoyed the concert last night at Union Chapel, I love that venue, don't like having to queue outside though, a necessity if one wishes to be in the front few pews... (wonder what its like up in the balcony area?) Forgot to take my cushion though, no wonder people don't go to church much these days...!  Wink Wink

I liked it that, for a change, Chris didn't play violin, but played many other instruments, including the banjo which gave a wonderful, foot tapping 'Matty' It made such a change to leave out 'duelling' fiddle playing. Several songs from the new album sounded so good, Ralph's 'Clear water' and 'Wild Cape Horn' suit the Fairport style but for me Simon playing more on leccy guitar made it rock. His singing on 'John Condon' moved me to tears almost.

I came away thinking this was the best concert for a couple of years.

Rosie and Kev were a good listen to start the evening too. She does have rather long legs doesn't she?!  Grin

I've only seen Fairport once at Union Chapel, on the Babbacombe Lee tour a few years back. I sat in the balcony and the sound was really bad so I don't recommend it. Have been to other gigs there and sat downstairs and it was fine so I think it must be a balcony issue.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:36 AM »

I've only seen Fairport once at Union Chapel, on the Babbacombe Lee tour a few years back. I sat in the balcony and the sound was really bad so I don't recommend it. Have been to other gigs there and sat downstairs and it was fine so I think it must be a balcony issue.

I've seen a gig from the balcony and the sound was superb.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »

I've seen a gig from the balcony and the sound was superb.  

Over the years there have been vast improvements in the acoustics, but still on the balcony some places are better than others.
However as the licensed capacity is much lower than the number of seats, it's easy to move around.

And the background music. I noticed several tracks by artists at this year's Cropredy and also 'Monsters and Men'. They would have been good.

Also did anybody else notice the 'clapometer' on the screen, in large numbers, on the sound desk?

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »

We had seats on the fifth row near the aisle and there the sound was perfect, as we were seated there did not notice the clapometer.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: