TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2015  (Read 106087 times)
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2015, 08:03:33 AM »

It's a great shame that seating at gigs rarely rises above the appalling - squashed and hard.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2015, 09:46:46 AM »

It's a great shame that seating at gigs rarely rises above the appalling - squashed and hard.

I refer you to my earlier post re the shambles at Swansea.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »

I refer you to my earlier post re the shambles at Swansea.
I'll never know why FC played at The Garage. It takes 200 tops and that would be a crush. They regularly fill venues 3 times that size - they could have played at the Swansea Grand, or even better, Pontardawe Arts Centre which has a thriving folk culture. Always used to meet up with Shirl there.....  Sad

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2015, 03:48:10 PM »

Perhaps it was just down to availability on that particular date. Who knows? The funny thing is, I really enjoyed the only other time I went there (Rod Clements and Ian Thomson last year) as it was a small intimate setting with a small crowd - just right. But Fairport were too big for that place really. Interestingly, I saw a poster for Oysterband in March. That could be a bit crowded too.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Viv G

« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »

Just look at recent set lists.

A non-cynic  Wink might wonder if it wasn't a bit much of a faff to re-arrange all those keyboard, sequencer and electric guitar parts for mandolin when you've got, as Jules points out, about twenty years of 'recent' material to choose from. You may as well suggest they've been airbrushing Jerry Donahue out of the picture.  

I think you are exactly right there. Maart had musical skills and techi knowledge that the others don't have. I'd love to hear them do Wounded Whale but have it on good authority that it isn't really possible without certain skills that Maart had.
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »

Well that was a rather enjoyable evening yesterday at the Lowry.

The setlist seems to be fairly constant on the tour, lots of new material as you would expect with the CD to promote plus some classics thrown in for good measure.  Simon is playing more electric guitar than I've seen for a while, and we didn't once get the twin fiddle attack of Ric & Chris during the evening, so that makes for an interesting change to the live sound.

Got the new CD, just got to find time to listen to it now, but the tracks played live yesterday sounded rather good so I'm hoping the rest of the CD will be up to this standard.

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »

For me, the current Fairport line up have always had a punchier sound when Simon plays electric, which he did at the RAH Teenage Cancer Trust gig a few years back.
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »

This may amuse some people...

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »

its upset quite a lot of dinosaurs!!

Edit: Now everybody has had a chance to read them, the page of dinosaur puns has gone. Colin
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »

And...in other news... http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/12/fairport-convention-review-lowry-salford

Liege and Lief? - check
Richard Thompson? - check
Sandy Denny? - check
Misspelling of 'Nicol'? - check
 Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »

And...in other news... http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/12/fairport-convention-review-lowry-salford

Liege and Lief? - check
Sandy Denny? - check
 Fez

Nicol wrong in last paragraph...   otherwise a fine review.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »

Liege and Lief? - check
Sandy Denny? - check
 Fez

Nicol wrong in last paragraph...   otherwise a fine review.

Spolling mistakes in the Grauniad ? Surely nott !!
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »

its upset quite a lot of dinosaurs!!

Edit: Now everybody has had a chance to read them, the page of dinosaur puns has gone. Colin
Ineversauritus!
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2015, 01:15:22 AM »

A good night at Farnham , now for some Cricket ! This was my sixth year in a row at The Maltings ,the last three years we've been in the same seats at the end of row B. Confusion reigned tonight though as they've put a new row in front of row A.
I counted 9 songs from the new CD which i bought during the interval ,  including one with what sounded to me like a TRex riff.In my humble opinion the introductions to certain songs go on for too long , also there are too many songs about the same subject  -  the sea. I enjoyed it though and just noticed they are playing Guildford in May so may well go to that one.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2015, 05:30:30 PM »

Curry and a pint in Shrews prior to gig

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »

Looking forward to my first visit to Shrewsbury...

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »

Great night in Shrewsbury! Maart was there and joined in MOTL with Simons electric.Great to see him there. Strange to see no fiddle at all from Chris. I love the new album.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »

On the ticket I had for the Union Hall concert last night it said doors open at 19:00, not knowing the hall I thought you could get in, have a drink at the bar and the doors to the concert hall would open at 19:00. When we arrived at 18:20 (after walking in the wrong direction at first) we saw a queue which meant we had a 40 minute wait outside in the cold and windy weather. Fortunately the doors opened on time and we could enjoy the warmth inside but also the sight of the place itself, I think it is a nice place for concerts, I would almost say it is cosy.

I find it a bit difticult to say what I thought about Fairport, meaning that I did not like all the songs they played but that will always be the case. What I find hard to appreciate is Simon singing songs Sandy Denny sung, there were three of them last night (Crazy man Michael, Farewell farewell and Matty Groves) while the first two were more or less ok, I did not like the way Simon sang Matty Groves. The problem for me I think is that all the while I heard Sandy's voice in my head. Many songs from the new cd (which I bought afterwards), I have to hear these songs more to see if they will grow on me. Songs that I really liked were the opening song Sir Patrick Spens, Festival bell and the Dave Pegg instumental. Stiill I enjoyed the concert very much and have no regrets coming over to England for it.

Forgot to mention that when we entered the hall Fairport came on stage doing a bit of tuning up, later we found out that they had also just arrived. They had got stuck in traffic and had then decided to take the tube from Richmond, Chris said that it was the first gig he had gone to by tube, it also meant that they could not have a soundcheck but they thanked their soundman for doing that for them, and he did a very god job.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:43:06 AM by Ronald » Logged
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »

And there's another person (Ronald) I thought I recognised last night at Union Chapel, but wasn't quite sure.

You can't go wrong starting with 'Sir Patrick Spens' which I've always thought is a classic Trad. Arr.. Possibly Fairport's finest.
Then there was a wide selection of tracks from the new album, which I didn't think they mentioned often enough.

Often reviews will say there was an audible sigh from an audience, when a band announces they are playing a new track, but I'd have settled for hearing all of it. I haven't heard the album yet, but I have high expectations. There seems to be plenty of variety and basically all good.
Lots of reviews have expressed surprise at these old dinosaurs producing something genuinely new, but it does look that way.

The Union Chapel really is a lovely venue, even if the acoustics aren't great (although hugely improved).
Hint: There are a lot more seats than the capacity, so even when sold out there are plenty empty, so no need to queue.

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2015, 06:01:06 PM »

Colin, I'm not sure if I would have recognised anyone.

I also noticed there were still seats available, which surprised me.

For me it was the first time having been at a concert were I was surrounded by people drinking cups of hot Yorkshire tea.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: