TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:38:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson: Sweet Warrior  (Read 86721 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »

last time i saw the RTB he hed Ruari MacFarlane on the bass thingies
he is a class act as well

The Dude abides
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2007, 10:42:45 PM »

Just got it, and the only tracks that really grab me are Needle & Thread, Johnny's Far Away and Guns Are The Tongues. But then I've always felt that RT albums, just like FC albums, are curate's eggs. And I always prefer to hear him playing solo than with a band.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2007, 11:00:40 PM »

And I always prefer to hear him playing solo than with a band.

Shocked

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »

And I always prefer to hear him playing solo than with a band.

Shocked

I've seen him solo, with Danny and with the full band. All of them great gigs apart from once when for some strange reason he was booked to play solo at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh. It's the main classical concert hall so it's kinda difficult for one guitarist to fill the place, even one as talented as RT.

But he did play Crazy Man Michael that night. One of the very few (possibly only) times I've heard him play a Fairport number.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »

Shocked

What's the prob? I think he plays much more interesting material when he's solo, or just has DT with him, but then I prefer RT's folky side to his bluesy-rocky side. After all, the mark of a truly great song is that it can be stripped down to a singer and one accompanying instrument and still work.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2007, 10:46:56 PM »

But he did play Crazy Man Michael that night. One of the very few (possibly only) times I've heard him play a Fairport number.

Haven't seen him very often?
Solo, he plays at least one FC number 90% of the time.

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »

Haven't seen him very often?
Solo, he plays at least one FC number 90% of the time.

I've seen him fairly regularly since 1992 - 8 times in Edinburgh and twice here in the NW of Engerland. Admittedly the first 2 or 3 times I saw him I didn't know any Fairport albums so it's possible he played some FC numbers.

But he might alter his sets when playing north of the border. I was having a conversation with the friend I went to see Swarb with last night. He was surprised I had never seen Fairport but I told him that they rarely seem to play in Scotland whereas RT regularly plays Edinburgh and occasionally Glasgow. I compared FC to Runrig who regularly tour England and they sing some of their songs in Gaelic!

But I'm much more of an RT fan than Fairport. The only post-Full House albums I've got are live ones featuring RT.  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2007, 03:30:54 PM »

Genesis Hall was played pretty much continously on his last UK tour, which was solo. From what I've seen of the recent band set lists, there isn't an FC number present, but as I said, he usually does when playing solo.

He has also played MOTL & Who Knows recently too.

Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2007, 09:19:29 PM »

Shocked

What's the prob? I think he plays much more interesting material when he's solo, or just has DT with him, but then I prefer RT's folky side to his bluesy-rocky side. After all, the mark of a truly great song is that it can be stripped down to a singer and one accompanying instrument and still work.

I kinda agree.  In the 80's, I preferred RTB to solo, but that's changed over the years.  While I still enjoy seeing him electric, a couple of things have pushed me the other way.

1. I prefer the larger band setup - Kirkpatrick, Clive, Christine, Rory/Donaldson.  Lots more 'umph'.  I miss the electric bass and the accordian.  I Miss Christine!  The setup he's used since Mirror Blue is nice, but just doesn't have the same firepower.

2. I miss his old Strat!  I might be wrong, but I just don't think he can ignite those cluster bombs he did so well in the 80's with that mutant Tele axe he's been using since the 90's.  Example:  Pull out your Providence RI DVD and see what happens when he straps on that Strat.  His playing raises to a whole new level!

3. He just keeps getting better and better as an acoustic musician.  Every year, I see him do something totally new, which makes it worth the ticket.  I haven't been really surprised at an electric show for many moons.

The greatest show I ever saw was RTB in '86.  Calvary Cross, Race Horse, the whole nine yards blew me away!  But those days are gone for good.

Still love it though!
Suzanne66

« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »

I only have mock tudor, so i dont have much to compare it to but....WOW

Just finished my first listen, I think it will be sitting in my CD player for a while  Smiley
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2007, 04:01:01 PM »

The greatest show I ever saw was RTB in '86.  Calvary Cross, Race Horse, the whole nine yards blew me away!  But those days are gone for good.

Still love it though!

That was about the first time I saw RT, albeit solo acoustic. For me though, having seen various incarnations. nothing beats his guest slots at Cropredy, those years when he would guest half way through the set and the band would rip up half a dozen Thompson songs were just magical. Tear Stained Letter was one track I particularly associate with those years, along with Wall of Death and Fire in the Engine Room. Awesome stuff
Pat Helms

« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »

Yeah, seeing him do When I Get to the Border with Fairport was a wonderful thing!  

Sorry I missed the Night Comes In year.  I would have had a hard time trying to breath during that one!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »

Yeah, seeing him do When I Get to the Border with Fairport was a wonderful thing!  

Hope he does it again this year

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »

Hope he does it again this year

Didn't FC revive Border live a few years back?
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »

I've listened to Sweet Warrior a few times now. I think it's wonderful. Like a lot of his stuff, it starts to pay off on the third or fourth listen. Traks 11-14 just carry me along. The old boy just gets better and better.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »

Now available on vinyl (but I can't remember the link, duh!)

ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

One more time with feeling

« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2007, 10:01:48 PM »

https://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LDIV011-2
haven't found a uk site yet though Cry
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2007, 10:59:19 PM »

Don't think there will be one, Olly....unless the UK beekeeper gets some in. Ask at the merch table if you catch him on the road....

Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »

2. I miss his old Strat!  I might be wrong, but I just don't think he can ignite those cluster bombs he did so well in the 80's with that mutant Tele axe he's been using since the 90's.  Example:  Pull out your Providence RI DVD and see what happens when he straps on that Strat.  His playing raises to a whole new level!

According to his Wikipedia entry:

"By the time of his exit from Fairport Thompson was playing a late 1960s Stratocaster. This was soon changed for an earlier 1950's model. He was closely associated with this guitar for many years. This particular Stratocaster is not currently servicable."

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Pat Helms

« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2007, 10:10:20 PM »

Certainly, I could be wrong about it being THE same, actual guitar, but it sure looks and sounds like the old one.  He pulled the Strat out in Lexington (KY) to do one song.  Wonderful tone!  Cool
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: