TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 04:21:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ BBC Sessions 4CD Set  (Read 102515 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2007, 11:51:09 AM »

Sorry to have fueled your apoplexy Jules!  Roll Eyes

That's OK.  The nurse has just given me my medication, so I'm OK now except for a few nervous ticks.

Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2007, 04:18:42 PM »

Thanks Simon, that clears things up.
Do you remember whose idea it was to add the vibes? I don't have the booklet in front of me now, but I seem to recall you saying that Ribbon Bow wasn't really part of your repertoire.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2007, 04:50:52 PM »

Do you remember whose idea it was to add the vibes? I don't have the booklet in front of me now, but I seem to recall you saying that Ribbon Bow wasn't really part of your repertoire.

I certainly don't remember whose idea it was. Possibly Joe's. Simon might remember more.... but it would have been a bit difficult to lug a harmonium around to get the same sound live...... Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »

I certainly don't remember whose idea it was. Possibly Joe's. Simon might remember more.... but it would have been a bit difficult to lug a harmonium around to get the same sound live...... Cheesy

Don't you mean vibraphone Jude  Huh

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2007, 07:47:07 PM »

My record shop phoned me today. I pick up mine tomorrow. Can´t wait!!! All reissues of the first albums and Heyday have been most rewarding. I look forward to a more than brilliant musical weekend. Grin Grin Grin
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2007, 08:44:45 PM »

but it would have been a bit difficult to lug a harmonium around to get the same sound live...... Cheesy

Well no Ollie, I did mean a harmonium, that being one of the main instruments on Ribbon Bow, but to carry a vibraharp as well, just for the intro and outro would have been a bit of a pain as well.... Grin

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2007, 09:45:09 PM »

but it would have been a bit difficult to lug a harmonium around to get the same sound live...... Cheesy

Well no Ollie, I did mean a harmonium, that being one of the main instruments on Ribbon Bow, but to carry a vibraharp as well, just for the intro and outro would have been a bit of a pain as well.... Grin

Oh yeah...just listened back to it and hadn't identified it as a harmonium before. That song always, to me, sounds like the theme tune to Steptoe and Son. Who played the harmonium

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »

Oh yeah...just listened back to it and hadn't identified it as a harmonium before. That song always, to me, sounds like the theme tune to Steptoe and Son. Who played the harmonium

Me. Well I played the keys, someone else (Martin probably) had to work the pedal bellows as my feet couldn't reach them without me sliding off the seat....... Cheesy

Steptoe & Son?Huh Shocked

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2007, 09:57:26 PM »

Me. Well I played the keys, someone else (Martin probably) had to work the pedal bellows as my feet couldn't reach them without me sliding off the seat....... Cheesy

Steptoe & Son?Huh Shocked

Well, the harmonium part does!

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2007, 10:17:33 PM »

Steptoe & Son? Ollie, are you really 13?
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »

Steptoe & Son? Ollie, are you really 13?

Yes, I am. As I've mentioned in other threads, when people have asked similar questions, my English teacher reckons that I was one of these people born with an old head

the beat goes on

« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »

I read in Kingley Abbots book that he has an acetate of the first radio session.  I'm surprised that this
 has n't been used for this set. The storming version of Mr lacey is also missing, was this an oversight?
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2007, 01:31:50 PM »

How is Now Be Thankful longer Huh extra verse???

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »

How is Now Be Thankful longer Huh extra verse???

There is an extra verse but it isn't sung, it's a solo from RT, leading into an extra chorus before the first verse is sung again as it is on the regular version.

Jules

Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »

one of these people born with an old head

Off topic I know - but Ollie, old head on young shoulders implies intelligence of a high order, which in any case you must possess merely to be posting on this board (hem-hem).

Wish I could get my daughter to post here again but she's off on the All About Marillion board or summat.  

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »

A first impression after a quick run through discs 1-3 between family commitments:I'm glad that these recordings have been collected after being spread on different CD:s over the years. Also fulfilling that they are released on a proper label and the artists get their money.
The first CD and a half is to me Heyday complete, not meant as a criticism but if you have Heyday on vinyl, cassette and two CD:s a lot is familiar. "Jack Diamonds"  was new to me. The Full House material has been circulating but I enjoy the good sound quality although loud music played around my ears for 40 years has made me rather blunt to hi-fi finesse. The third CD has  several highlights, I enjoy some rarely heard tracks from  the"Nine"  lineup. The Sandy-second-time-around live recordings are several why the excitement maybe isn't so overwhelming with the final tracks but I enjoy them a lot nonetheless. I guess the fourth rarities CD will give me the exclusiveness that maybe the first didn't give me, but I'm very glad that I bought this box. Everything collected in one place. Only disappointment was in the liner notes when Simon admitted to some minor overdubbing  Wink . I thought this was supposed to be totally live recordings. Wink Wink Wink
But I give 4 out of 5 pints., tankards or what's used in the TAW reviewing system.
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2007, 02:45:32 AM »

The Full House material has been circulating but I enjoy the good sound quality although loud music played around my ears for 40 years has made me rather blunt to hi-fi finesse.

Well, there have been allegations made on the RT discussion list that the "Full House" material on this set are actually NOT live BBC recordings, but lesser quality/generation versions of the studio recordings, so that may be truer than you think.  I wish I had saved the digest that had these allegations so I could be more specific, but at least one other person has listened to both versions of the songs in question and came to the conclusion that it was probably true.  This is indeed disturbing news if true, and seems quite sad if someone was indeed intentionally trying to pull something.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2007, 09:56:58 AM »

Around about 1970 there was a change in how BBC sessions were done.  Whereas before most bands tended to record all-new versions, by 1970 many bands were giving the BBC subtly different versions of their album tracks to play as if they were session recordings.  Often these just had a different vocal or a different mix.  Check out The Who's BBC sessions - up to 1969 they were all-new recordings, afterwards they were as I've just deescribed.

I don't think anyone's been duplicitous here - after all it's Island putting out the BBC Sessions box and they own the rights to Full House too.  I think it's an honest mistake.  I don't think the same of the Fairport Unconventional set however - in that case I think there was a degree of tall tales being told!

The really annoying thing is that those Full House songs are taking the place of genuine 1970 BBC sessions that are still unreleased.  There was a whole concert session on a John Peel show including Staines Morris and Bridge Over The River ___.  Plus there's still unreleased versions of Sickness & Diseases, Flowers Of The Forest, Journeyman's Grace, Tunes My Mother Taught Me (aka Sir B. Mckenzies) etc.  Those album versions have kind of stolen the place of some really deserving tracks.

In this day and age when a label is doing a major retrospective on a band with a huge cult following, it really baffles me why they don't extend their research to checking with fans like us on the internet.  A little advice from a few of us in the know could have made a terrific box set truly definitive!  Plus it wouldn't have cost them anything other than time and brains.

Jules

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2007, 11:47:53 AM »

Presumably they're working with the band, too, so Simon et al might have pointed out these details....

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2007, 12:07:05 PM »

Presumably they're working with the band, too, so Simon et al might have pointed out these details....

With respect to Simon - he's probably too busy being in Fairport vintage 2007 to spend too much time thinking about vintage 1970.  Many people in famous bands with long careers have difficulty remembering all the recordings they made way back when.  In many instances the fans know more than the band, because we tend to be a bit more anorak-y than the band members.  This is undoubtedly a good thing by the way!   Wink

And Swarb says they didn't talk to him at all.....

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: