TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:58:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Dylan UK dates 2009  (Read 113304 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a bowl of soup?

Stuff the meaningless child-like lyrics....live it was a corking little rocker....always reminded me of Neil circa 'T-Bone'.  Don't know why I'm getting so upset with the latest album, but suspect it is because I think Robert Hunter is a genius lyricist, and the lyrics on this are rubbish.  That's probably it....

That's a fair point. I wouldn't say rubbish but they obviously deliberately don't aspire to poetry and are simple and direct. Oddly (or maybe not) the best lyric on the album is the one that Robert Hunter did not write, This Dream Of You, which is a lovely song.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »

Wiggle wiggle wiggle like a bowl of soup?

Great line,great album.If memory serves he played that song every night at Hammersmith in an eight show run in 1991.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »

I genuinely can't see the problem with it. I'll accept that it is not a masterpiece but it is a wholly enjoyable, relaxed and sunny record. There is nothing I dislike on there and certainly nothing to compete with Wiggle Wiggle as Bob's worst song of all time!

I have listened to it several times now and I do not feel in any way disappointed. It makes me smile and that was certainly not true of anything he put out between Empire Burlesque and Oh Mercy (the occasional song excepted).

I enjoyed Wiggle Wiggle live at the time.  I can think of 50 songs of Bob's I'd less like to hear again.  At least 5 of them are on the new record.  Sorry....

i make it 10

I make it ten.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »

OK mate.I will of course persevere with it but can't find much to like at the moment.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »

OK mate.I will of course persevere with it but can't find much to like at the moment.

That's ok. I've spent nearly 20 years taking the same approach with Under The Red Sky!  Grin
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »

Bob Dylan's new album, Together Through Life, has entered both the U.S. and UK album charts at #1, marking the artist’s second consecutive U.S. #1 debut and his first chart-topping release in the UK since New Morning in 1970. Together Through Life is a true international hit, as well, achieving #1 debuts in Austria and Denmark, Top 5 entries in Australia, Germany, Ireland, Holland, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden and New Zealand, and Top 10 rankings in Italy, France and Belgium.

"Beyond Here Lies Nothin'," the first track on Together Through Life, is serving as the soundtrack for a series of on-air and online promotional spots for the second season of True Blood, the smash hit HBO vampire series.

A short film for "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" has been lensed by AFI and Sundance Film Festival award winning director Nash Edgerton, and will be seen on the IFC Channel and on IFC.com, beginning Tuesday, May 12.

Together Through Life is available everywhere in multiple formats: standard and deluxe CD packages, vinyl, and digital download. Give it a spin!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »

Bob Dylan's new album, Together Through Life, has entered both the U.S. and UK album charts at #1, marking the artist’s second consecutive U.S. #1 debut and his first chart-topping release in the UK since New Morning in 1970. Together Through Life is a true international hit, as well, achieving #1 debuts in Austria and Denmark, Top 5 entries in Australia, Germany, Ireland, Holland, Norway, Switzerland, Sweden and New Zealand, and Top 10 rankings in Italy, France and Belgium.

"Beyond Here Lies Nothin'," the first track on Together Through Life, is serving as the soundtrack for a series of on-air and online promotional spots for the second season of True Blood, the smash hit HBO vampire series.

A short film for "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" has been lensed by AFI and Sundance Film Festival award winning director Nash Edgerton, and will be seen on the IFC Channel and on IFC.com, beginning Tuesday, May 12.

Together Through Life is available everywhere in multiple formats: standard and deluxe CD packages, vinyl, and digital download. Give it a spin!

Given your personal views on the album Billy, I'm guessing this should all be in quotation marks!  Grin
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2009, 01:37:36 PM »

Not sure I want to go this time.  Last time he said three or four words the whole gig - no big screen, for all I could tell from my seat towards the back of NIA I was watching Frogcrutches in a white stetson doing a pretty average Dylan impression.

Met a chap in Tesco's t'other day, sporting a fab Dylan T-shirt (black with postage stamp of Bob 1965) - asked him where he'd got it, and he proceeded to tell me he'd bought it at one of the gigs in Brum. He then told me that he was unbelievably bad, and it was his worst experience of seeing Bob - he'd seen him four times apparently. Didn't recognise the songs - only by the words!! Bob never spoke much, only to introduce the band; and that he'd only really gone cos his ticket was a present and that Dylan would probably never come to UK again. Mind you he agreed with me re the T-shirt and said that was worth the admission alone!! Told him to go see the Dylan Project - at least Steve sounds like Bob in his heyday . . .

Mark   Cool Cool

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »

and that Dylan would probably never come to UK again.

The first time I heard somebody say this was at Wembley in '84.  He's been back virtually every other year since.  I can't see him stopping now.  People still turn up. They always will.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »

Bob Dylan now will never sound like Bob in his heyday - he's a 67 year old man, and sings like one. I'd have thought that anyone who is familiar with Bob Dylan gigs over the last few years would be aware that he hardly ever speaks to the audience, and he has always experimented with the arrangements of his songs live, so they seldom sound like they do on the CDs - this is surely a good thing - you can always listen to the CDs at home. I thought he put on a great show when I saw him in Liverpool. I don't think that it will be his last UK gigs. The 'never ending tour' has been rolling since 1988 and is showing no signs of stopping yet - I'll certainly go to see him next time around.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2009, 03:27:12 PM »

Not sure I want to go this time.  Last time he said three or four words the whole gig -

. Didn't recognise the songs - only by the words!! Bob never spoke much, only to introduce the band; and that he'd only really gone cos his ticket was a present and that Dylan would probably never come to UK again. . . .

Mark   Cool Cool

So that proves that this was Bob Dylan
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »

Saw him in his sparkly suited Elvis period at Earls Court in 78, he didn't speak, the music bore little resemblance to the original but the gig was brilliant. Think "Live at Budakan" and you get the idea.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »

And Blackbushe. Oh my lost youth!
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »

Oh dear! I see Mark has trodden on sacred ground to some Shocked Those that worship of the god of Bob, I will make sure he keeps away from the computer. Mind you he does own nearly every albun that Mr Zimmerman has done Lips Sealed

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »

Don't worry,  even Bobcats take the peas out of the old Geezer sometimes. He deserves it too.
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2009, 04:07:24 PM »

Would any of you like to buy an anorak  Cheesy

C xx

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

I've seen Dylan every year of the last twenty except 1992,1999 and 2008 when he didn't come to the UK.The strange singing "style" adopted over the last couple of years is cringeworthy and downright embarrassing.

I'm not clever enough to find an appropriate name for it but i'm sure everyone has heard it at regular intervals in recent years.One name for it on the old "Dylanpool" was "upsinging" with his continued use of that awful organ i keep expecting him to shout out "roll up,roll up,three goes for a pound"

One show only for me next time around as long as it's in the London area.Steeleye Span was the best concert i saw during the week of four Bob shows.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »

There was gig at the Brixton Academy a few years ago where his hands seemed to be controlled by invisible strings from above, we have called it "the Captain Scarlet Gig" ever since. I don't know what goes on in that peculiar brain, he's probably a bit bored apart from anything else, but when he hits the spot I get that "all I ever want to do for the rest of my life is sit here and listen to this very strange man" feeling. Was it really bad Billy?
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2009, 10:37:07 PM »

I have not seen him for many many years but the recordings of the Brixton Academy week of gigs a few years ago are amongst the most amazing gigs I have ever heard. Great (or original singers) like Sinatra or Bobby Darin or even Morrisey change and become more idiosyncratic as the years go by. Like the jazz greats this is part of the pleasure of growing old-as we become older and our tastes change so our idols change.
Couldn't get to these gigs but look forward to hearing them.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: