TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:43:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Dylan UK dates 2009  (Read 113238 times)
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »

Video for 'Beyond Here Lies Nothing' -

http://release.theplatform.com/content.select?pid=oWWhtLlY_2GTPeYNnmt8C_inKnjoCI6p&UserName=Unknown

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »

I've just discovered most of the new album is a co-write with Robert Hunter.  Might have to give it a listen after all....

It's abysmal................absolutely dreadful. I wouldn't bother.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:40 AM »

I've just discovered most of the new album is a co-write with Robert Hunter.  Might have to give it a listen after all....

Oh dear.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »

Oh dear.

Noooooo! Don't tell me that. I've lovedthe last three and was getting excited about this one. On the other hand, when was the last time that Bob made four great albums in a row?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »

On the other hand, when was the last time that Bob made four great albums in a row?

1966?  Can I claim my prize?   Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »

The 8 albums from Freewheelin to Nashville Skyline are surely the greatest run of albums ever by anyone.There have also been many more since those days.

Come to think of it when was the last time anyone made four great albums in a row................
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »

The 8 albums from Freewheelin to Nashville Skyline are surely the greatest run of albums ever by anyone.There have also been many more since those days.

Come to think of it when was the last time anyone made four great albums in a row................

Ryan Adams...last two with Whiskeytown and first two solos....?

Can I lose every ounce of non-existent credibility I have left and suggest Coldplay?  No?  Ok then.....  Grin

billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »

stop it...................

you could  stick the Basement Tapes in with those 8 although it wasn't officially released until a few years later.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2009, 05:31:29 PM »

Ryan Adams...last two with Whiskeytown and first two solos....?

They were more than just great albums!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »

I think, for me, the last run of at least four was from Planet Waves to Slow Train Coming but both albums have their detractors so you have to decide where to start and stop. Either way you pick up Blood On The Tracks, Desire and Street Legal.

The string of releases from  Time Out Of Mind onwards has certainly been Bob's most consistent since then.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »

When i say it's abysmal................absolutely dreadful. I wouldn't bother,i am talking in terms of Bob Dylan albums.

I will still take Bob being sick in a bucket over Ryan Adams and a host of others................ Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2009, 07:50:05 AM »

What was the Roundhouse show like?  Two friends of mine on Facebook express thoughts that it was embarassingly awful....?  I hope not...

Incidentally, it's really bugging me that none of the reviews of the new album seem to mention the fact that the lyrics are co-written by Robert Hunter, which surely is one of the more salient points to mention, isn't it?  I guess I'm going to have to take the plunge and give the whole thing a listen....not looking forward to it, mind...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »

Well by the wonders of technology I shall shortly be listening to the Roundhouse gig, to see for myself...  All I can say is I hope it's better than the album.  I lasted up to track 7, and I want those 30 minutes back.  Excreble.

Bob Dylan
The Roundhouse
London
UK
26 April 2009

Disc 1
1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
3. Tangled Up In Blue
4. Million Miles
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
7. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
8. Sugar Baby
9. High Water (for Charlie Patton)

Disc 2
1. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
2. Po' Boy
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Ain't Talkin'
5. Summer Days
6. Like A Rolling Stone
7. All Along The Watchtower
8. Spirit On The Water
9. Blowin' In The Wind

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2009, 09:35:19 AM »

All I can say is I hope it's better than the album.  I lasted up to track 7, and I want those 30 minutes back.  Excreble.

Why then is it getting such good reviews everywhere? I haven't heard it yet but nobody had any trouble (rightly) saying Bob's albums were sh1t in the 80s so I don't see why this should be any different if that is the case.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2009, 10:07:15 AM »

I was at the O2 on Saturday and The Roundhouse last night.I went home last night during I Don't Believe You.First time i've left a Dylan show early and it was the 124th i've attended.

I couldn't get a seat so had to stand downstairs amongst a bunch of idiots most of whom seemed to have no interest whatsoever in what was happening on stage.

Bob's position (now stage right) makes sure that half the audience can't see him anyway.He came centre stage once at the O2 and that was it.

We were forced to get over there early to obtain a wristband and then join a mile long queue to get in.All this for one of the most mundane sets of all time with most of the renditions resembling a train wreck.

I will be going to Cardiff and Birmingham  rather than let others down but am not bothered anymore one way or the other.I have good seats but no doubt will be forced to stand anyway.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2009, 10:33:22 AM »

All I can say is I hope it's better than the album.  I lasted up to track 7, and I want those 30 minutes back.  Excreble.

Why then is it getting such good reviews everywhere? I haven't heard it yet but nobody had any trouble (rightly) saying Bob's albums were sh1t in the 80s so I don't see why this should be any different if that is the case.

I have no idea....but not one of the reviews by even serious bobheads seems to mention the fact that Hunter is co-writer on the vast majority of the material which I find very odd.  I want to like this.  I don't.  I guess they just do...c'est la vie  Smiley

AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2009, 02:05:43 PM »

I actually passed up the chance to go to the Roundhouse last night, for a variety of reasons...so thank you Billy, you've helped convince me that I did the right thing.

Did you hear Gavin Martin talking about it on the Today Programme this morning?  What a pretentious t***.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »

Not everyone things the Roundhouse was awful apparently...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/04/27/bob-dylan-review-the-rock-veteran-plays-a-stormer-at-the-london-roundhouse-115875-21312256/

Perhaps thats what counts for a review these days....

AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »

That's the same chap, David.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »

That's the same chap, David.

Oh yes.  D'oh!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: