TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sense of Occasion  (Read 203019 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »

All good guesses, I reckon, Tasha - except for the native American, which I think might be to do with the American Civil War. Not sure, and you may be right.

MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2007, 07:10:42 PM »

If the T-shirts feature the artwork from the cover I would strongly suggest a limited print run of about a half dozen! Ric can take three of them for his wardrobe rotation. The other three for the lucky, hard-core Fairport T-shirt completists  Tongue
Dave Russell
Has a strangE PracticE

Loc: Chester

Grumpy Old Man

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »

I wonder if the seafaring gentleman is something to do with Polly on the Shore, and the treeman is what the fairy queen didn't do to Tam Lin?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2007, 07:32:40 PM »

All good guesses, I reckon, Tasha - except for the native American, which I think might be to do with the American Civil War. Not sure, and you may be right.

Tasha??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »

"yes, we have taken tea. and biscuits..."

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2007, 08:29:16 PM »

Ok so here is the official release date news from the FC website   http://www.fairportconvention.com/news984.htm
The Happy Man (Rob)

Loc: Leeds, England.

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »

Not sure about the cover but do not like the title at all.
I think the first track sounds like a great album title to me. 'Keep on turning the wheel' fit the bill perfectly i should say.

From Rob

Life's too short to be sad, wishing things you'll never have,
You're better off not dreaming of the things to come,
Dreams are always ending far too soon.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2007, 09:17:03 PM »

Just a flying visit - but does anyone have a decent quality version of the cover for Rising for the Moon?  I can't find anything too clear on the www and (to my shame) don't have a copy of the album yet.  But from what I can squint at on Amazon, could it be the same artist (or his/her son/daughter)?

As for the rest - cover?  Hmmm.  Title?  Whatever.  Contents?  BRING IT ON!!

Sorry it's been so long, and it looks like Work (ugh!) is going to keep me run off my feet for most of 2007, but I'll drop in when I can and/or when something interesting's happening.

Hopefully catch up with anyone who recognises me at St Albans & Cropredy - hope there's another session (I promise to play something not written by Ric this year!).

Byeeeeee!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
The Happy Man (Rob)

Loc: Leeds, England.

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2007, 09:36:33 PM »

16 songs is bloody good value as 10 is about average for a single CD. Also five songs by Chris Leslie thats his best tally for a while. I cant wait.

From Rob

Life's too short to be sad, wishing things you'll never have,
You're better off not dreaming of the things to come,
Dreams are always ending far too soon.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2007, 10:06:24 PM »

well i'll reserve judgement but if the cover is owt to go by........god help us all
they appear to have stuck with the formula plus the tillbrook and partridge songs

The Dude abides
Karl Ernst

Loc: Darmstadt, Germany

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

The album cover reminds me somehow of an old Roy Wood (or Annie Haslam???) album - I don't remember which one...

Anyway, it's awful... but it's the music that matters so let's wait and see  Smiley

Karl

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2007, 10:42:20 PM »

Just a flying visit - but does anyone have a decent quality version of the cover for Rising for the Moon?  I can't find anything too clear on the www and (to my shame) don't have a copy of the album yet.  But from what I can squint at on Amazon, could it be the same artist (or his/her son/daughter)?

http://tinyurl.com/su94d

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2007, 11:58:29 PM »

Well I like the cover and the title, in a record shop shelf sort of way.
It jumps out at you and that shifts units.
It's also well enough done to look as if it was meant to look like that. If you see what I mean.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »

I agree with the Yabb.  

I think it is astonishingly good - eye-catching, quirky, amusing, and one to make you linger.  Somehow, all things Fairport are captured in that little vignette: the nod in the direction of Mr. Leslie's native american flute, the hint of traddy-rural pagan stuff, beguiling maidens, Jeeves and Wooster and a sea-shanty or two.  The choice of neck attire by our beloved chaps says all that we need to know about them - Peggy in a t-shirt, Nicol the cool lounge lizard, the dapper Sanders, the up-for-it Conway and the play-it-close-to-the-chest Leslie.  There's tea and cake and a thoroughly British feel about the whole kit and caboodle.

A triumph!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2007, 06:31:21 AM »

Well I like the cover and the title, in a record shop shelf sort of way.
It jumps out at you and that shifts units.
It's also well enough done to look as if it was meant to look like that. If you see what I mean.

I guess that depends on the record and the shelf.  

It will sell to all the people who would be expected to buy a new Fairport Convention album in 2007.  It won't sell to anybody else.  Which is sort of the point I (at least) have been making isn't it...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2007, 09:17:49 AM »

It will sell to all the people who would be expected to buy a new Fairport Convention album in 2007.  It won't sell to anybody else.  Which is sort of the point I (at least) have been making isn't it...

I think it will sell. Because a striking cover does make a difference. The first challenge in a shop is to get people to pick up the CD.
From experience of dealing directly with some large record stores, if the artist is relatively unknown an interresting cover will sell.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »

I'm with Yabb and Sir Bob, I think it's fab.  

A chap by the name of Mick Toole did the artwork, he's the same fellow who did the art work on Peggy's Cocktail Cowboy album cover all those years ago.
Mick has done the art work for most of Fairports album covers, boxed sets and Cropredy programmes for the last twenty odd years.

The inspiration for the Sense of Occasion cover was from a photograph taken Ben Nicholson a guy who lives in Barford.
Simon Withers

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »

This question of Artwork for Fairport LP and now CD covers, what makes for a good fairport cover and what makes for a bad one? I really like 'Fairport Convention', 'unhalfbricking', 'What we did on our holidays', 'Angel delight' (works really well as an LP design, less well scaled down as a CD cover, however a nice little package if purchased as an import as is Babbacombe Lee) and graphically 'Bonny Bunch of Roses'.    
Harry (Jules)

Loc: Banburyshire

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2007, 10:44:44 AM »

"History" is the best LP cover for me, due to the ammount of useful info on it, which is legible.
CD's don't lend themselves to getting any details across, unless you have a magnifying glass to hand.
As a large number of Fairport fans don't have 20:20 vision (I'm typing this with my specs on), a good CD cover therefore relies on a striking picture. The ColvinQuarmby "A Short Walk To The Red Lion" cover produced an enormous amount of comment, as the artwork was almost entirely unviewable, due to a printing error. This didn't stop it, however, from being instantly recognisable.
For myself, I'm trying to persuade bands I produce CDs for to take the "DVD case" route, as the viewable area is larger, and so can contain good artwork and space for a decent ammount of readable text. It's an uphill struggle!

Jules  Smiley

Promoting the music, heritage and characters of Banburyshire.
www.banburyshire.net
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »

Thank you for the info Martin..

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: