TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:00:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 147859 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »

Short, scathing review of the EP in fRoots.  I don't think he/she liked it very much! Oh well, each to their own, etc, etc

Care to quote it (if it's that short?), Paul?  Or is it *really* awful?   Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »

The EP is excellent, IMO.

Edit to add:  But the review is smug and ignorant: http://www.frootsmag.com/content/issue/reviews/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »

Oh dear - smug is right - I beg to differ, and my copy of the CD is worn out already - I like the "retro" feel - puts the "rock" firmly back in "folk / rock" just where I like it.

They can call themselves whatever they like if they bring out a full CD of the same - and I guess it'll call for a long trek across t'irish Sea if I'm to see them live next year..................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »

I agree... think it's brill too.  

Someone - IAA or CI (assuming one of them didn't write it...certainly doesn't read like it) - needs to have a word with whoever did write that.  Not impressed that passed editorial muster.  A bad review is all fine as long as it is well argued.  That is just unpleasant....  Not nice at all.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »

Ah they just have to learn to take the good reviews along with the bad... It's character building... Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »

Review of ahab on the same page is pretty awful too....

fstix (Michael)

« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »

I find it rather hypocritical they use a phrase such as "It’s like the last few decades never happened" when their version of so-called critique echoes that of particularly the NME in the late 70s, who would regularly give similar too-clever-by-half "reviews" to acts that weren't flavour of the moment.  

Does this work-experience reviewer actually not know who Ashley is, when they talk about "their parents' record collection"??  Beyond pathetic if so.

I agree, if it was a well thought through negative review then fair enough.  But it obviously wasn't.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:13:08 PM by fstix (Michael) » Logged

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »

I usually find that if FR hates it I'll love it ....  Roll Eyes

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2011, 07:29:33 AM »

I just feel the EP reviewer was "lazy"; not the usual decent standard of review I'd expect.

Re-reading the Ahab review, I feel much the same way about that one.  

Then again, these are the releases that didn't make it to the main review section.

I'm all for constructive criticism.

Maybe the addition of another electric guitarist will mean reviews in NME instead!  Smiley

Flobbadob!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2011, 02:44:55 AM »

The Albion Band review was unnecessarily cruel. I take Jude's point-if your going to be in the business, you have to expect that of course, but I'm with Michael on this, it was especially harsh for no reason. The fact that its under the cloak of anonymity, as they so glibly say means they can ramp up the unnecessary nastiness. Same goes for the Ahab review....bankrupt of originality is bankrupt of an understanding of music. But this is an Albion thread so lets just say I can't wait until a full album comes out and FR has to dispatch a writer with a name to the review....lets see if that smugness remains. Sorry....saw this and read the review and it really p****d me off.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2011, 05:24:01 AM »

Spoke with Blair last night - debut album due in time for debut tour in late Spring next year. The album will be fresh tracks - none from the EP

Debut gig though will be headlining Cheltenham Folk Festival's Saturday night next February.

It was quite amusing that both he & Ashley had seen this review, but were avoiding discussing it with each other. That was, until I said what a pile of sh1t the review was, and Ian A's decision to print what wasn't journalism. That broke the ice! And they both agreed....

Blair got some good news before going on stage too - he's made it to thr last 4 in the BBC Young Folk Award....

leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »

They are headlining at Cheltenham Folk festival? Personally, I think that's appalling. Not because they aren't good enough, but because if they had started under a different name, I'm certain they wouldn't have got that particular slot.

I still think it should be clearer that these aren't a band including Ashley.

Donna

Cheers,

Donna
xx
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »

That was, until I said what a pile of sh1t the review was, and Ian A's decision to print what wasn't journalism. That broke the ice! And they both agreed....

Well they would wouldn't they.

Personally I think the reviewer nailed it - Seventies prog folk with dreadful vocals, barely worth the hundred words it was given.  As for the Cheltenham Folk festival slot, where I see they're billed as The Albion Band, it is indeed appalling and the festival should know better and have a better booking policy.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »

Just checked http://www.cheltenhamtownhall.org.uk/folk-festival/ and they've made it clear that the band are a new line-up, but then there's nothing new there with regards the Albion Band.

However, I then followed some of the links and noticed this:

2012 sees the Albion Band reformed and rebooted with a completely new line up of the best young English folk talent.

The new line-up brings a slightly edgier approach to traditional English folk music. Founder, Ashley Hutchings will be handing the torch down to his son, Blair Dunlop (Guitar and Vocals) who will be joined by the talents of Gavin Davenport (Vocals), Tom Wright (Drums), Katriona Gilmore (Fiddle, Mandolin and Vocals) and Tim Yates (Bass and Melodeon). (Bold highlights per the website).

On the one hand, there is a photo next to the para with no Ashley, on the other, it isn't really obvious from the above para, unless you are really thinking about the words, that Ashley isn't in the band.

Cheers,

Donna
xx
iPat

Loc: Valdosta, Georgia USA

« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2011, 02:41:12 PM »

I do not understand why some seem to feel this new Albion outfit is an affront to music consumer rights. There is nothing deceptive or unclear about any of the press releases.

As for the festival gig, well, it just puts that much more pressure on them to live up to the shoes they are filling. If they don't, the whole project will go down in flames: end of story.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2011, 03:03:42 PM »

I usually find that if FR hates it I'll love it ....  Roll Eyes

Agreed, a terrible and unnecessarily unkind review, but doesn't FRoots usually have a bias towards world music ? (i.e. it's not their kind of thing and they wouldn't have liked it anyway)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »

Having just looked at the Chelt FF website (thanks for reminding me to do so, Leahdon!), I see the headliners on the other 2 nights are Dervish and Brass Monkey, so, no pressure on the latest Albion incarnation to deliver then!  

Weekend tickets are £69 at the moment - I'd better get mine booked.

(I wonder if there'll be some "warmup" gigs ahead of Chelt...)

Flobbadob!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »

I asked Blair about that - nothing planned in public.....

fstix (Michael)

« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2011, 06:10:54 PM »

Has R2 magazine reviewed it yet?  I'd expect a more intelligent review from them.

StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »

Another excellent performance from Blair Smiley

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: