TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:02:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 147090 times)
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #260 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »

New CD arrived this morning, hopefully will have time to listen to it before going to the Gren Bartley gig.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #261 on: March 03, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »

Am I right in thinking it's Gavin Davenport who sings Thieves Song on the EP but Blair Dunlop on lead vocals on the CD - or am I confusing myself?

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #262 on: March 03, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »

Just listened to both versions - well spotted!

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #263 on: March 03, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »

Just listened to both versions - well spotted!

Prefer the ep version I think but they're both stormin'...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #264 on: March 03, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »

I probably prefer the EP version by a small degree too, but am happy to have both.  Also happy I didn't imagine the change of singer.  Smiley

StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »

From the Albions' Facebook page!!

"On our way up to Durham, stopped for fuel at Morris On...er, Morrisons."  Grin Grin
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »

So for anyone who has been to the gigs-are they doing anything other than new material? Obviously there is such a vast repertoire of music created under the Albion name, be it Albion Country, Albion Dance, or just The Albion Band, as well as different instrumentation on all of it that would make for interesting live material if they are so inclined.

I am liking their Facebook posts of old Albion lineups...my favorite has to be Blair's response to a Shuffle Off era pic of Ashley, saying it scarred him  Grin!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »

Interesting point from the Albions themselves in response to someone saying they flinched at ticket prices on this tour: "We flinched too, but sadly we aren't in control of the prices. All we can do is put on a good show."

Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »

Tunbridge Wells last night....totally brilliant show. Extremely pollished and professional performances (imho)...don't know what I was expecting really, but it surpassed all previous thoughts. Bit of a shame about the sparse audience numbers, but none the less, they were very noisily appreciative at the right times.  Delightful and entertaining show......looking forward to June 10th at Hever Castle Smiley
Simon Care
A good head for squeezeboxes

« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »

Hello people,
If you would be so kind to indulge an ex-Albion member and i will do a mini review of the Wellingborough gig.

There was a reasonable size crowd for the band. And having been blown away by them at Cheltenham, i was very keen to see them with a few more gigs under their belt.

They kick off the show with an acapella version of 15 minutes (who are your heroes now). immediately shows the very capable vocal ability of the band.
Someone was asking about what albion back catalogue was included, well how about Tams' One more Day, Ragged Heroes from Rise Up, Time to Ring some changes, Set their mouths a twisting, interspersed with some very fine tune sets where Tim comes off bass to play melodeon.
They also have some pretty amazing selfpenned material such as Thieves Song, Coalville amongst others. And a version of Babylon that is just stunning.

I came away thinking that not only have they answered their critics and doubters, they have totally surpassed all expectations.
It is a crying shame that festival organisers around the country didn't show some faith and get them booked for this summer.

Still gives us something to look forward to next summer doesn't it

regards
Simon
StephenGiles

« Reply #270 on: March 17, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »

Thanks Simon, we're looking forward to the Croydon gig Smiley
richardkendell

« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »

Tunbridge Wells last night....totally brilliant show. Extremely pollished and professional performances (imho)...don't know what I was expecting really, but it surpassed all previous thoughts. Bit of a shame about the sparse audience numbers, but none the less, they were very noisily appreciative at the right times.  Delightful and entertaining show......looking forward to June 10th at Hever Castle Smiley

When I saw the  Albion Band at Harpenden I thought they were OK but nothing more. I didn't buy the CD.
What surprised me was the very small audience. In the 3 rows around me there were 3 people. The average age of the audience was over 60 (so I was quite at home) and I saw only 2 people who looked under 50. Which left me wondering is folk rock an interest mainly limited to OAPs (I could understand that for Fairport where many of the audience have grown up/old with the band but this was a group of 20+). I wondered if ticket price was an issue (they cost me about the same as to see Fairport) which may have deterred some of the younger potential audience.
If the Harpenden turn out was typical I think they will struggle to keep 6 musicians and sound man etc on tour.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #272 on: March 17, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »

It is a crying shame that festival organisers around the country didn't show some faith and get them booked for this summer.

Quite. Might've been better to do a few festivals first, then tour, but as you say, bands can't play anywhere unless someone books 'em.

Really hoping I can get to the Kings Lynn gig.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:35 PM »

Really hoping I can get to the Kings Lynn gig.

Sadly I can't now.  Hope you get there and have a great time, Ollie.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »

Although the amount of 'faith' required really depends on what they were asking in terms of payment weighed up against what they thought they could deliver in terms of attendance in return doesn't it? Not being privy to that sort of information, I couldn't really say, but there seem to be a few references to high prices and low audience numbers in this thread so far, so maybe that had something to do with it?  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
StephenGiles

« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »

..........better to have tripped than never dance at all Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »

I am now in posession of the album. I'm still not mad about Gavin's voice but it does rock and passes three quarters of an hour or so most agreeably. Highlights for me are the kick ass cover of Set Their Mouths To Twisting and Kat's terrific Coalville.
johnnysaint (John)

Loc: Prescot, Merseyside

« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »

Stockport gig on 27th of this month has been cancelled Sad

No reasons given by the venue.

Slavery still exists. Visit http://www.antislavery.org today and find out more.
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »

I heard that tickets weren't selling very well.  Feel guilty now as I hadn't got round to buying one, but I don't think it would have made much difference, it's a big place to fill.

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Graham B

Loc: Northamptonshire

« Reply #279 on: March 20, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »

Simon Care's review of the Wellingborough gig was spot on - the band were fantastic. It was so good to hear a folk band that really rocks.

To be honest it surpassed my expectations - it was great to hear someone let rip on lead guitar in a band that still has room for some great fiddle and melodian playing.

How many folk bands are there with three guitar players - and most of the time two are playing electric?

I still love to see Fairport, and enjoyed seeing them on the Wintour, but I couldn't help thinking that The Albion Band were a bit more exciting.

A great gig and a great band.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: