TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 16, 2024, 11:02:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strict Tempo  (Read 14461 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: November 16, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »

Just had an e-mail to say that RT's instrumental album Strict Tempo is being re-released at the end of the month as a 30th anniversary special.

Copies available from his website: http://www.richardthompson-music.com/ukcds.asp

I think it is just the original album, but can't see a track listing there.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »

Amazingly, i still have a sealed LP copy of this. I keep bypassing it because it's instrumental.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:02:57 PM »

Just had an e-mail to say that RT's instrumental album Strict Tempo is being re-released at the end of the month as a 30th anniversary special.

Copies available from his website: http://www.richardthompson-music.com/ukcds.asp

I think it is just the original album, but can't see a track listing there.

He's charging £14.50 for it.  He usually charges £11.00 for a single CD.  This makes me think there will be a second disc.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »

Looking at the Beesweb, this is the original announcement, from back in September:

"In celebration of the 30th anniversary of its original release, Omnivore Recordings will be reissuing Strict Tempo! on November 29.

"The recording, an all-instrumental collection of British and Celtic jigs and reels (plus a Duke Ellington composition, and one Thompson original), features Richard on an array of acoustic and electric stringed instruments, ably abetted by Dave Mattacks on drums and percussion.

"Strict Tempo! will be available in a specially designed CD reissue package with updated notes by Richard (while supplies last), as well as in digital download form."

Nothing there about a second disc, unfortunately  Sad  Maybe the higher price because it is being put out by someone else, so he doesn't control it?

Amazon UK are quoting £10.07 for it and the tracklisting is just that of the original album. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:47:57 PM by Will S » Logged

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »

Amazon UK are quoting £10.07 for it and the tracklisting is just that of the original album. 

Oh, OK, I sit corrected!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »

Amazingly, i still have a sealed LP copy of this. I keep bypassing it because it's instrumental.

You should listen to it already!  One of my old RT favorites, actually, although it's been a while since I've listened to it.  As I recall, quite a lot of it has whatever instrument he happens to be playing coupled only with DM's drums, and no bass, so it's a unique-sounding record.  He used the one original song as the basis for the theme from which he based the soundtrack to Grizzly Man.
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »

Buy it, listen to it.
It will also prove why there is no-one like DM. Seriously.

Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »

I found this album in a charity shop a few years ago - a pristine vinyl copy at that. I love it, it should definitely be listened to.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »

You should listen to it already!  One of my old RT favorites, actually, although it's been a while since I've listened to it.  As I recall, quite a lot of it has whatever instrument he happens to be playing coupled only with DM's drums, and no bass, so it's a unique-sounding record.  He used the one original song as the basis for the theme from which he based the soundtrack to Grizzly Man.

I bought it with The Mc Garrigles French Record, and Morris on, when Ryko were selling off loads of old vinyl for next t o nothing.. I didn't get along with the McG's, and Morris on has only had about 3 spins. I think this is why StrictTempo has been neglected too. I must get to it.
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »

A delicious album; from a distant time perspective it sounds like RT took a fresh air before going into a number of great electric records

best to all

Paolo
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »

Not one of my favourites, although my current CD is a copy from vinyl, so the completist in me will probably buy it.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »

I believe that all existing CDs are vinyl copys (I have the original Ryko, this has vinyl noises), so I am looking towards the new version to see if that is a transfer of the master tapes, But maybe they don't exist anymore.... There must be a reason why the original CD is vinyl-sourced....

Alex
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »

Just got it in a small shop in Brooklyn.....a great price, and happy to support an indie retailer. I only have this previously as a cassette. No extras that I see ( until I get it home to compare), but it comes in a great uniquely size paper sleeve. Cant wait to hear it again, been a long time since I played it.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »

Hi,

can someone who got this new cd tell me, if it is vinyl-sourced again ?
I don't want to pay twice for the same album only to find out that it is as noisy as the first one.

Alex
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »

Ever so slight tape hiss at the start of some of the tracks (with headphones on), but not vinyl sourced. Am at work so I don't have it in front of me but I believe this version with the postcard sized sleeve was newly remastered, and I believe the details were inside. Will try to remember to check later for you.,

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »

I have the reissue sleeve here - it's great to be retired! (and the original vinyl is stored away safely).

"mastered by Gavin Lurssen & Reuben Cohen at Lurssen Mastering" though it doesn't state the source ... perhaps Beesweb might have that info?

RT's own notes say that the original album was recorded & overdubbed on a TEAC 8-track.

Hope this helps, Alex.

Hey you can get back to work now Robert!  Wink

Flobbadob!
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »

I have the reissue sleeve here - it's great to be retired! (and the original vinyl is stored away safely).

"mastered by Gavin Lurssen & Reuben Cohen at Lurssen Mastering" though it doesn't state the source ... perhaps Beesweb might have that info?

RT's own notes say that the original album was recorded & overdubbed on a TEAC 8-track.

Hope this helps, Alex.

Hey you can get back to work now Robert!  Wink

Grin

folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »

Hi,

thanks. I think I will buy it again.
Sadly there is no MP3 option as otherwise I have given up buying physical media as much as possible....

Alex
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »

Hi,

thanks. I think I will buy it again.
Sadly there is no MP3 option as otherwise I have given up buying physical media as much as possible....

Alex

But the packaging is unique Alexander, so its one to showcase...or since it folds out like a greeting card you can pretend you got a card from Richard Thompson...thats what I do  Grin

folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 05:56:50 AM »

I don't mind any packaging, every CD I own gets ripped and then straight in the attic, not to be taken out again. For me it is just a waste of natural ressources for things that I don't need.
Also this CD is officially priced over 20€ in Germany, so I think I will pass...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: