TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 16, 2024, 05:08:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fotheringay live album  (Read 32287 times)
Kurt

Loc: New Castle , Colorado

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »

Thanks for the info! Cool

City lights don't shine,they glare
and your music doesn't speak,it swears
and in your streets,the ghosts have forgotten why they're there

Lindisfarne-City Song
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »

I heard a 40 second clip of 'Nothing More' on Youtube yesterday, and it sounded a bit bootleggy to me.  The clip seems to have disappeared now though.
I'm hoping that it was my speakers playing up!   Undecided

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »

I heard a 40 second clip of 'Nothing More' on Youtube yesterday, and it sounded a bit bootleggy to me.  The clip seems to have disappeared now though.

To be honest I'm fully expecting it to sound, as you say Pete, "bootleggy", and that it'll be fairly interesting but hardly essential, and that I'll play it once or twice and then file it away.  I hope I'm proved wrong though.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
David Blake

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »

It does sound a bit bootleggy, but there are brilliant moments.
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »

'Nothing More' from this album can still be found here: http://www.myspace.com/sandydenny
The sound  indeed is slightly 'bootleggy' and though it's not bad, I don't think this version is better than any other that was recorded by Fotheringay, as has been stated elsewhere. Surely interesting from a historical or completist view, but I'm not sure wether I will buy it.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »

My copy has arrived.

Philip's liner notes are very well written (as always) and the booklet has been done very well.  The show itself was obviously a strong one.  As for the sound of the CD - well, Jerry has obviously worked very hard to do the best he can.  The drums sound great, the bass is fine, but the vocals and topline instruments do struggle to be heard...especially the vocals...especially Trevor's.

I'd have to say that ultimately it's a fan's only release and that the sound, whilst improved, still only sounds like a fair quality bootleg.  I'm actually surprised that Jerry thought it was worthwhile pursuing.  The live tapes used on the Sandy box sets over the years are much easier to enjoy.  I'm very glad to have a copy, but in all honesty I can't say it'll get many plays.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »

Thanks for that Jules. I have been holding off on this since I read that it sounded "bootleggy". I'd like to hear it (Spotify?) but I think I will refrain from purchasing.
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »

I ordered a copy of the Essen CD off of eBay, but I can't seem to find the Fotheringay "Lost Broadcasts" CD/DVD set.  Amazon U.S. apparently sold out the day it went up for sale.  Any leads?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Thanks for that Jules. I have been holding off on this since I read that it sounded "bootleggy". I'd like to hear it (Spotify?) but I think I will refrain from purchasing.

Yes, thank you, Jules.  I suspect I will follow GubGub here.  For the Lost Broadcasts set, Amazon UK has it as 'Out of stock'.  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »

Didnt that get withdrawn?

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

My copy has arrived.

Philip's liner notes are very well written (as always) and the booklet has been done very well.  The show itself was obviously a strong one.  As for the sound of the CD - well, Jerry has obviously worked very hard to do the best he can.  The drums sound great, the bass is fine, but the vocals and topline instruments do struggle to be heard...especially the vocals...especially Trevor's.

I'd have to say that ultimately it's a fan's only release and that the sound, whilst improved, still only sounds like a fair quality bootleg.  I'm actually surprised that Jerry thought it was worthwhile pursuing.  The live tapes used on the Sandy box sets over the years are much easier to enjoy.  I'm very glad to have a copy, but in all honesty I can't say it'll get many plays.

Jules

Thanks Jules. Sadly my fears have been confirmed. I was desperately hoping to be wrong.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »

I might add that the likes of us (ie hardcore Sandy fans) would probably rather have it than not.  I'm hoping my review wasn't too negative and that I didn't put potential buyers off who'd actually be forgiving of the recording's shortcomings.

As I said the show itself is actually strong.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »

I might add that the likes of us (ie hardcore Sandy fans) would probably rather have it than not.  I'm hoping my review wasn't too negative and that I didn't put potential buyers off who'd actually be forgiving of the recording's shortcomings.

As I said the show itself is actually strong.

Jules

You haven't put me off Jules.   I'll still buy it, even though the sound isn't great.  I'm a sucker for all things Sandy!

No Left Turn Unstoned
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »

Put off...?  Probably not, but your review has dropped it down my 'priority list'.  I suspect I'll wait until I find a cheap copy now, rather than ordering it straight away.  But I will probably still get it some day...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
suffolk steve
n3wb

Loc: Blundeston, Suffolk

The grey one

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »

I think you guys are being a little bit unfair to damn it as 'bootleggy'. Sure, as the LP notes say it was only semi-professionally recorded by the host and there is a mic half way down the hall that was accidently open into the mixing card and it picked up some noises from the other stage. But Jerry has done a great job and it's (in my humble opinion) in a different league to 'Poems From Alexandra' or 'Wild Mountain Thyme'. Just compare the quality of 'Memphis Tennessee' to that version from the same concert on the German GB label 'Savoy Brown/May Blitz/Fotheringay' album. I'd say it's worth adding to any collector's portfolio.

If it feels good it can't be wrong ... can it? Please tell me it can't!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »

Depends on your understanding of the word "bootleggy". I imagine it to sound a bit like the Fairport "Who Knows" or "Many Ears To Please" releases where the vocals are a bit hollow and echoey. Is that fair?

If so, they are interesting historical artefacts but I don't listen to them often because the sound is not polished enough for my tastes whereas "Before The Moon" being sourced from radio recordings holds up well.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »

where the vocals are a bit hollow and echoey. Is that fair?

The track I heard sounded like Sandy was singing in another room, and a horrible booming bass, that is impossible to lessen.  I'm still gonna get it though.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 09:14:48 AM »

Depends on your understanding of the word "bootleggy". I imagine it to sound a bit like the Fairport "Who Knows" or "Many Ears To Please" releases where the vocals are a bit hollow and echoey. Is that fair?

I reckon that's fair.

The track I heard sounded like Sandy was singing in another room

I reckon that's fair too.

Jules

suffolk steve
n3wb

Loc: Blundeston, Suffolk

The grey one

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »

Democracy rules then ...

By the way, I've just seen that the CD has now been listed on Amazon UK at £24.52 but no in-stock dates as yet.

If it feels good it can't be wrong ... can it? Please tell me it can't!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »

Hmmm. 41 years before first release. More sewer dredging or quality material? I wonder which.

I have carefully read the replies herein and have concluded that this sadly falls into the first category, however well-intentioned.

Twenty-Four Pounds Fifty Two Pence?

Jesus. Talk about wringing the public's gullibility to the full!

If you want to buy it folks, that's up to you of course. But I ain't that fanatical.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: