TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:28:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Leslie Solo Album 'Origins'  (Read 10436 times)
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:48 AM »

Picked up a copy of Chris' new solo album at the Aggies gig at Hitchin, and I think it's bloody marvelous.

Easily my favourite record of his, as it's got a little bit of everything. There's some brand new material from Chris himself (some of which I'm sure will work its way into the Fairport repertoire), there's some dance tunes, some trad songs, some Native American style stuff including a version of Geronimo's Cadillac (similar to the FoF arrangement) and the album even opens with a track written by Sandy Denny.

Anyone else pick up a copy of this yet, and if so, what did you think of it?

Imponderable Joy
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:05:08 AM »

Yes, bought it at Butlins..  Lovely album  Smiley

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »

Hopefully, there'll be copies on the Wintour merch tables.

Flobbadob!
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »

I've been away from this forum for a long time, but it's good to be here again to say that Chris new album is a pleasure to hear. Our Chris plays very well (obviously) all instruments (guitars, fiddles, mandolins, flutes and percussion). Don't miss 'Origins'

all the best wishes to you all

Paolo
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:23:11 AM »

I've listened to Origins about six times across the last few days.  The title track is astonishing and hypnotic.  It's more or less an instrumental with some vocals but no lyrics, if that makes sense.  At one point, I hear a vocalization that sounds as if it's in the style of Tuvan throat-singers.  

The opening song (Sweet Rosemary, written by Sandy Denny) is a beautiful new interpretation of that piece of music.  Makes me want to hear Chris take a crack at other pieces from Sandy's oeuvre (I'm fond of No End, Late November, and Next Time Around in particular and wouldn't mind if the current iteration of Fairport Convention performed cover versions of those songs, though I realize they're originally from Sandy's solo works).

But back to Origins.  Of the material penned by Chris himself on this new album, I especially like Theodore's Song -- four and a half minutes of pleasant acoustic music with lyrics that tell an engaging story.

The CD is absolutely worth your hard-earned wonga.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »

Thanks for the additional info...I'm pleased to find out that Sweet Rosemary is the Sandy cover, it's not regarded as one of the usual classics, but it's one of my favourite songs of hers.It's not a powerful, emotional song, full of sadness or passion, just a happy,just slightly wistful, delicate llittle thing.
The title track sounds, er, slightly prog to me, so I wanna hear it.
I guess I'll be getting a copy of it, so all credit to you for securing a sale on behalf of Chris.
Cheers!

Well I never did..
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »

Thanks for the additional info...I'm pleased to find out that Sweet Rosemary is the Sandy cover, it's not regarded as one of the usual classics, but it's one of my favourite songs of hers.It's not a powerful, emotional song, full of sadness or passion, just a happy,just slightly wistful, delicate llittle thing.
The title track sounds, er, slightly prog to me, so I wanna hear it.
I guess I'll be getting a copy of it, so all credit to you for securing a sale on behalf of Chris.
Cheers!

Exactly the way I feel about Sweet Rosemary as well, nicely put Mike. Guess this will get added to the list of CD's to buy then  Smiley      

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Hibbitt (Christer)

Loc: Stockholm

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »

Yes a nice one. The best album from Chris so far I think.  Cool

Doctor Monk unpacks his trunk tonight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: