TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Memories  (Read 37224 times)
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »

Not that any of that made sense but I guess it's just that Cropredy and Fairport are part of my life, when it ends it ends but until it does it's a fun party and we will probably go when we can for as long as we are able.

Neil

Au contraire, it made perfect sense and made for a great read!

So did the Convoy turn up one year back in the day, then? I'd never heard about that, though I used to know some Convoy lads. I wonder how that played out ....?
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »

- that RT sound check is high on my 'great' list too, he'd always seemed so focused and aloof before, but that morning he was relaxed and chatty, and it was magic.
Very early days, the first time I stayed on the field to the end with my then very small son, and as we inched our way down the field a couple of large hairy biker types picked him up and passed him forward over the heads, after an initial panic I squeezed along behind and felt completely overwhelmed by the comradeship around me.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »

Chatting to Nick Reg for about an hour and not knowing who it was until we arrived back. Doh!

Does that mean we need to update our avatars ? I look far younger now! Grin
After all it was my first drink of the day , about 9.30 AM wasnt it!

My best memory was the first time we went (1988, I was 37) , sitting down on the grass in front of the stage next to a lad of about 18, with an inflatable guitar, and he handed me his flagon of beer for a drink.

I also remember one memorable soundcheck with Richard and Jerry jamming, must have been late 80's. And Maart practicing the guitar solo for the Steve Harley spot and trying to work out what it reminded me of. Huh

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

Chatting to Nick Reg for about an hour and not knowing who it was until we arrived back. Doh!

Does that mean we need to update our avatars ? I look far younger now! Grin
After all it was my first drink of the day , about 9.30 AM wasnt it!

That explains why people say to me "Is your Mum here as well?"......  Wink

Yes it was, er, the first of the day. So early, I didn't realise.......  Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »

Banana basses and cornflake guitars.
barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »

Too many memories to choose from, or so it seemed. Then it came to me...

The most recent year of the great deluge (The Excalibur year, when I happened to turn round and see a wall of water advancing down the field during the set) - that same afternnon, needing 'relief' heading for the communal gents at the top of the field and seeing a chat in a full biohazard suit enter, looking initially smug for he was completely waterproof, but then seeing the smugness turn to panic when he realised he didn't have an appropriately sited zip!

He just shrugged and wandered back down the field.

Often wonder what happened next

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
andrew c

Loc: Leicester

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »

Last year my daughter - been coming to Cropredy with us for last 15 years - brought along her partner for his first time. One of my favourite of many great memories from that weekend was seeing him dozing away saturday afto in the sun for about 2 hours - just loved how he'd got to feel  sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo chilled.
SteveZuppa
n3wb

Loc: Alna,Maine

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2013, 01:08:16 AM »

All,
I am SOOOOOOO jealous. Been a Fairport fan since about '68 and saw them whenever they came to the States. Been a Talkawhile lurker for years ( so I feel that I recognise, if not know you all) but have yet to attend Cropredy. It is, however, on the "bucket list". In the meantime, I'm forever grateful for the fact that you all share your Croppers highlights.
Steve
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2013, 08:46:02 AM »

Steve - if and when you can - get over here! You won't regret it - just ask RobertD ! Grin

Flobbadob!
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »

Most of my memories are best shared verbally close to the Cropredy bar, but one of my most cherished ones- though not too well remembered - is spending the better part of the Saturday morning 1982- After Midnight - , downing Scotch and sharing stories together with Jonah Jones, Trevor Lucas and Jerry Donahue at Cromwell Lodge Hotel.
O Tempera, O Mores!  Cool
See you at the Cropredy bar!  Wink

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

i have searched for the shoe maker from glastonbury myself for a few years - pugg footwear i believe. i know they had a factory fire and had to move. i still have a pair of their boots but they are so old they are barely recognisable and i would love another pair!

it'll be fine.......
barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2013, 12:05:38 AM »

I worked at all the festivals from Prescot Manor up untill 1994 , I am an electrician and we used to camp backstage. This memory is from my wife ,she was wondering around the field , it was about 1985 , when Gary Brooker from Procul Harum was doing his sound check and playing Conquistador and the only 2 members of the public were her and my daughter ,who was about 2 years old and in her buggy.
                We'll all be back again in August ,my wife and I have been to everyone , my daughter and son both went to their first Cropredy before their first birthdays !
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2013, 01:39:28 AM »

Cheesy Every year is a different memory for me .. The Braze, the Lion, the mainstage, the gazebo, the bar (the bar the bar the bar) even different fields bring back different memories... the bridge over the river (The year before the new bells) Old friends new friends the first time the last time ... somethings that will never be repeated again   Roll Eyes(some things that SHOULDNOT be repeated again) Shocked The blokie that brought a barrel of beer (last year and thank you very very much!!!) Oggie Oggie Oggie ...I wear Fairport t shirts every day and the next Cropredy is the most important thing atm (It ALWAYS is) ..
I have never found another festival like Cropredy ( and I have been to a lot!)
praps someone will throw my ashes over mainstage  

nuff said?Huh??   Fez Tiara
Thor-Rune

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

My first "Cropredy" was actually in 1981 when the festival left Cropredy and moved to Broughton Castle for that year only. The Full House line-up was reunited for the first time (I think) there and I arrived early enough to catch the sound check friday afternoon. A few minutes later I bumped into Simon Nicol. We struck up a conversation in which I happened to mention a gaping hole in my near complete collection that I was looking for like mad. A collection of live tracks recorded by various artists at the Nyon Festival in the late 70's. I knew Fairport had a few tracks on it and asked Simon if he could remember what they were. He didn't!

The next day he spotted me and gestured for me to come backstage (the only thing separating the backstage area was actually just a rope guarded by absolutely no-one). There he handed over a spare promotional copy of the album I'd been looking for. He signed it and handed it over with a smile, a pat on the back and a cheerful "see you in October" (he and Swarb toured Norway later that year).

No wonder we love this band...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2013, 07:39:11 PM »

That's a great story  Smiley  More details on the album please...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Thor-Rune

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »

That's a great story  Smiley  More details on the album please...

It's a double album on the Paleo label. The two Fairport tracks are "The Eynsham poacher" and "The hens march/Four poster bed" medley. Although the cover wrongly claims the latter is "The Brilliancy medley". Other featured artists are Melanie, Dan Ar Bras, Loudon Waiwright III, Tannahill Weavers, Nazare Pereira, Dave Cousins, Maddy Prior, Planxty, Woodstock Mountains Revue, Christine Authier, La Bottine Souiriante, Fiori-Seguin, Graeme Allwright, Rockin' Dopsie & The Cajun Twisters and Oisin. It was all recorded in 1979...
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

My first "Cropredy" was actually in 1981 when the festival left Cropredy and moved to Broughton Castle for that year only. The Full House line-up was reunited for the first time (I think) there and I arrived early enough to catch the sound check friday afternoon. A few minutes later I bumped into Simon Nicol. We struck up a conversation in which I happened to mention a gaping hole in my near complete collection that I was looking for like mad. A collection of live tracks recorded by various artists at the Nyon Festival in the late 70's. I knew Fairport had a few tracks on it and asked Simon if he could remember what they were. He didn't!

The next day he spotted me and gestured for me to come backstage (the only thing separating the backstage area was actually just a rope guarded by absolutely no-one). There he handed over a spare promotional copy of the album I'd been looking for. He signed it and handed it over with a smile, a pat on the back and a cheerful "see you in October" (he and Swarb toured Norway later that year).

Great post and puts you top of the bonus points board Cool
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »

Great post and puts you top of the bonus points board Cool

1st prize is .. you go to cropredy stand in front of the bar and grab people wearing tiara's and fez'z and ....buy them a drink!!!!!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

In that case I'm gonna wear a tiara AND a fez.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: