TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:48:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Memories  (Read 37211 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:58:27 PM »

Worst memory...  Sitting in the middle of the field enduring THAT thunderstorm... 2009?

I was a bit of a wimp there ...  Shocked

Best memory..  Being there for the very first time in 1990 and immediately realising that this is the place I want to be every year...  I was drawn into the surreal magic straight away.... Smiley Kiss
(And happy to say that the magic has never left me)

It can sound a bit strange  can't it Jenny but Cropredy Fest has always had a magical quality for me. Going regularly coincided with new relationship, new friends and without being too glib a new life. Special place.
We go to Cropredy for the Oxford Arts Open Studios and just enjoy a day in the village. Great being able to go into some of the houses and just meet people/artists who live there. A couple of fabulous houses by the canal have some interesting stuff.l
Cropredy studios are open 18th to 27th May this year. 
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »

Worst memory...  Sitting in the middle of the field enduring THAT thunderstorm... 2009?
I loved that! Although I was worried about people with poles attached to their seats .....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »

I loved that! Although I was worried about people with poles attached to their seats .....

I enjoyed it too but I think it required a lot of alcohol to make it fun rather than a soggy nightmare...

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »

A couple of really wet years.
1999 I think when Barrage were on and there was a year when I really wanted to watch Julie Fowlis's Bodhran player. Sheena and everyone else from our group were back at the tents and I got very very wet and cold watching a stunning solo, horizontal rain!
We vaguely remember a year when RT was on, Sheen and I were down the front, it was very wet we turned round and it was, sadly, a very empty field.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »

2010 wasn't it? I was trying to sleep and not succeeding much with all the racket.
I believe that in 2009 no rain fell at Croppers at all during opening hours on any of the three days.
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »

Soon as I think of something that doesn't put me in an even worse light on here I'll get back to you.   Undecided

Oh come on. Just give us a decent drinking story Grin

We mentioned one drinking story on here a couple of years ago and were told off by the boss and all the posts relating to it were deleted.  Embarrassed
So I think I silence is best.  Grin

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »

Soon as I think of something that doesn't put me in an even worse light on here I'll get back to you.   Undecided

Oh come on. Just give us a decent drinking story Grin

We mentioned one drinking story on here a couple of years ago and were told off by the boss and all the posts relating to it were deleted.  Embarrassed
So I think I silence is best.  

Depends on the story I suppose.
'Keep it clean, keep it fresh, keep it fragrant.'
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:01:19 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »

2010 wasn't it? I was trying to sleep and not succeeding much with all the racket.
I believe that in 2009 no rain fell at Croppers at all during opening hours on any of the three days.

Trying to sleep during Sat night's Fairport set?..

Why???

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Albie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »

Trying to sleep during Sat night's Fairport set?..

Why???

Well..........I was tired.  Grin
Also have to admit I was bored, it was the year of that folk opera thing and really wasn't my scene at all.
Still think of it as my favourite Croppers though, the thursday and friday were great days. Little Feat, The Leatherats, Selecter, Quo, LJE, 3DM, Dixie Bee Liners - brilliant.
Hope I have the year right or I will feel a right dunderhead.  Smiley
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 09:47:03 PM »

It was the Rick Wakeman year...  Can't be arsed to go and check...  But theyvwerevdoingbExcalibur during the storm!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Ian W

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 11:10:01 PM »

It has to be the Liege and Lief set.

I never thought I'd get to hear it played through.

And hearing Yusuf play 'Peace Train' was very special, too.
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »

Hearing Robert Plant sing live for the very first time...........

The first time I experienced "Meet on the Ledge"

Horslips !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »

Too many and too personal but for the group of mates that I have been to Cropredy witgh over the years the phrases:

"Purple potatoes
What's a surrealist
Don't talk about the f.....g Leningrad Cowboys"

all cause tears of laughter and looks of bemusement from onlookers.

Musically, hearing Percy, discovering the wonderful BNC, seeing Trevor Lucas with the chaps just once, the year Tear Stained Letter went on for what seemes like hours, childhood heroes Squeeze, and the first band I ever saw in that field La Rue - wonder what ever happened to them.

DW
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »

1979 - shedding a tear at the end of what we thought was Fairport's last ever gig...

Every Cropredy since - meeting friends old & new, bumping into people I didn't even know went to Cropredy, hearing music I didn't know I liked, drinking lots of good beer, the stalls in the village, smiles, the occasional duff act, the w**ther...  

Flobbadob!
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »

A lot of my best memories involve me and my aforementioned friend Matt doing this:

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

Imponderable Joy
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »

Obviously one of the highlights of Cropredy is sitting in the Hughes' Arms, talking b*****ks to an international standard.

Memorably in 2007 David declared "Giveway, that is a c**p name for a band" and then proceeded to suggest a far more colourful alternative for the Johnson sisters.

Before anybody could stop us, we had invented an entire back story and discography for this group and the more of Cocker's rum we drank, the funnier it got.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »

I've only been to Cropredy four times - 91, 92, 02 and 04. 91 was with my schoolfriend in the summer before we both went to Uni. First festival for both of us and we just did the Saturday only. Some good turns, I think RT and Jerry guested but no Swarb was a bit of a disappointment. I do remember falling in love with Julianne Regan though! 91 was quite early in my Fairport 'education', so some of the RT and Sandy (solo) songs were wasted on me as I had yet to explore all the musical branches of the Fairport Family tree (an ongoing project to this day!). In 92 we were there for the Friday as well. Seeing the Full House line up for the first time was a treat, and also the surviving members of L+L, and I still have the cheer ringing in my ears from when Robert Plant took the stage. Metal Matty was ace too. The CD of that year's festival gets played quite often, some great performances, and Chris Leslie did a sterling job dep-ing for Ric!

10 years later me and same schoolfriend attended the 35th anniversary in 2002 and it was really then that I got some idea of Cropredy's attraction or USP (music and beer aside), because stepping onto that field after a 10 year gap felt like returning home in a strange way, or a home from home, or just a sense of belonging. I dunno, but it was a special moment. And you can just about see me and my mate in the crowd shot on the inlay of the double CD of that year's festival. Which is nice.

I really should attend again one day....
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »

Obviously one of the highlights of Cropredy is sitting in the Hughes' Arms, talking b*****ks to an international standard.

Memorably in 2007 David declared "Giveway, that is a c**p name for a band" and then proceeded to suggest a far more colourful alternative for the Johnson sisters.

Before anybody could stop us, we had invented an entire back story and discography for this group and the more of Cocker's rum we drank, the funnier it got.

Now, as I was just saying to Robert Plant, this is what we want. The 'boss' is bringing in a whole new level of quality name dropping. (and has earned 2 additional points for his team)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:12:49 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »

Obviously have only been to the one, but meeting so many of you nice folks (and recognizing many more that I didn't talk to). Somebody said this at the time on here when I gave my own reports, that I must have been destined to have a great time because things happened to me seemingly that hadn't happened to veterans of years and years. (I don't know, maybe they were just being nice!). I chalk it up to moving around so much because I was just so excited to see everything I had read about for years- the bar, Leon's, Jonah's Oak, the bar, the village, the bar, the Brasenose, the Red Lion, the bar....and it goes on and on.

But back to the memories-
Meeting Simon and Peggy
Ric complementing me on my hat from behind the fence
Buying some merch in the tent and on chatting with her about it being my first she raises her voice slightly to a person unseen behind me and says-hey Chris, its his first Cropredy. Turn around to see Chris Leslie and his wife greeting me warmly
Having a nice little chat with Steve Gibbons after complementing him on the Dylan Project set.
Literally almost bumping into The Coral with some food, as they were hiking up the field in search of some as well. Hard for me to decipher the singers accent but he said something like "S'alright, its nice here innit."
Scanning the crowd to realize standing to the side of me was Ralph Mctell watching and singing along to The Dylan Project.
Having a nice chat with Dave Burn from Ahab, asking me where I had come from
Meeting lots of lovely people, strangers who bought me drinks on finding out I was a Cropredy virgin, and being invited to join a boisterous group of folks for Fairport's set, and sharing their strange concoctions in water bottles. Ok truth be told it was the McBastards, and I dont really know the deal, but they treated me as one of their own and sang along to every Fairport song.
Just chilling out, with great beer and listening to great music.
I must also add (sorry this is so long) that honorable mention has to go to Nick, for greeting a befuddled New Yorker, stepping off the bus at the Brase with my backpack and trying not to leap out of my skin for finally being at Cropredy for taking one look at me and saying-you're that bloke from New York!. It set the tone for meeting all of you folks over the weekend and made me very thankful that I spent time on here in the months before getting to know so many of you.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

Great post Robert.Thank you..................
.....and you are right, you got more in to one fest than some of us did in 18. I did find myself sitting next to Robert Plant once but I'm not in your league.  Grin
 You gain 6 additional name dropping points.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:30:56 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: