TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:11:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anne de Bretagne  (Read 42234 times)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »

Basile Leroux is the chaps name- i think.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 10:08:37 PM »

And why did the stewards remove the tops from our water bottles?  Very odd!

....because 'Fairport folkies' might just throw them at the performers on stage?!  Cheesy Wink

Grin

I'm flattered they thought I could throw that far!
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »

Sorry for the delay but after much thought, I reckon you deserve a review.  Remember, these are just my opinions and there were plenty in attendance who enjoyed it.

If you've read the Excalibur thread you will know that the reason we didn't go to Germany had a lot to do with  the possibility of it being theatrical but I never suspected that Anne de Bretagne would be the same - there were no clues on the website when I booked.

Still, we enjoyed our trip to Nantes (explored the castle, the cathedral and visited Les Machines d'Ile, as well as experiencing the pavement cafe culture - weather was hot) even though the concert itself was pretty much as GubGub described it!  

We went on the first night and additionally to what GG said, some of the musicians hadn't done their homework - Nilda Fernandez used a prompt sheet disguised as a piece of parchment and Les Holroyd tried to sing his first song again to the second song's music!  Thankfully, Simon stepped forward and rescued him.  Les was okay after that ... if you discount the 'dad dancing'.

There were other things too - long disorganised queues, being herded into the moat, confusions about where to sit once we were in (we mistakenly sat in the VIP area - good view though), ballet dancers, sound and lighting problems, long pauses, silly sword waving, stops and starts as some performers came in at the wrong time.  And then there was the fact that it didn't start until 10.15 pm after having been let in at 8.00 pm.  Interval was at quarter to 12 and finishing time was 1.15 am.

Our apartment was about a mile and a half from the centre of Nantes and at 1.15 am the buses and trams had stopped running so we walked back.  It was quite pleasant as the air was cooler by then.

Poor Simon looked like Henry VIII and indeed the whole production was a mish-mash of time periods.  The costumes probably spanned about 200 years by my reckoning.  The ballet dancers wore modern clothes.  Also, the fabrics were wrong - too shiny, too bright - Nilda Fernadez wore diamante.  He also wore jeans for the first half but must have had his bottom smacked at half time because he was wearing black trousers after the interval.

There was much to like about it (the setting, the weather, Simon's solo, Chris Leslie's solo, Laurent Tixier - he was the one person who managed to pull off his costume - not literally I hasten to add and Cecile Corbel) but also much to dislike about it - I never want to see my heroes dressed like that again!  I don't think I'll be buying the DVD but will carry on listening to the CD.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »

Looks as though this show is coming to DVD, release date 17 March.....from Cecile Corbel's website....

Anne de Bretagne...Anna Vreizh
03/17/2010, 12:00
DVD Release
"Live au chateau des ducs"

Also, a further tour in November....indoors at that time of year, I hope!

Anne de Bretagne - show
11/01/2010, 20:00
November 2010 : Anne de Bretagne on tour (Nantes, Paris, Rennes....)
places and dates to be announced

-nov 5 : Ploemeur
-nov 6 : Nantes
-nov 8 & 9  : Paris
-nov 10 : Quimper
-nov 11 : Renne

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »

Mr Simon seems to be getting his schedules very muddled. He has just toured Excalibur so he is releasing a DVD of Anne De Bretagne. Then in November he is releasing Excalibur 3 so he is touring Anne De Bretagne. You might have thought he could co-ordinate this better!  Grin
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2010, 12:21:41 PM »

Anyone on the list (apart from Simon, that is) going to Ploemeur next Friday?

Just noticed on the website that Simon is playing Edward VII. Arf!

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »

'Fraid not but I will be in France in a couple of weeks so am hoping to pick up a copy of the DVD as I was at the original show where it was filmed.To be honest, I wasn't bowled over but as I was there...

Hope it has English subtitles for the narration but somehow I doubt it.  Undecided
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »

'Fraid not but I will be in France in a couple of weeks so am hoping to pick up a copy of the DVD as I was at the original show where it was filmed.To be honest, I wasn't bowled over but as I was there...

Hope it has English subtitles for the narration but somehow I doubt it.  Undecided

When in the area I always visit Keltia Musique, in Quimper, but they haven't got the DVD listed. However, FNAC have (double DVD) for the princely sum of 20 Euros. http://video.fnac.com/a2824703/Anne-de-Bretagne-DVD-Zone-2

I shall be relying on the not inconsiderable language skills of Mrs Q for a translation. Just hope it's not in Breton.  Smiley

Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »

So what is the best deal for buying the Anne De Bretagne CD &/or DVD for us Brits? Amazon has the double-CD listed, but it's nearly £30! I've just been severely burned on the R< 'Shoot Out The Lights' double CD from Rhino (with considerable help from HM Customs) & I'm not looking to pay premium prices again anytime soon.

And,,, did Excalibur III ever come out? I've yet to see it.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »

The French FNAC site is definitely the best option for both That is where I got both my CD and ticket for the show.

Excalibur 3 is delayed to January according to Alan Simon's website.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »

So what is the best deal for buying the Anne De Bretagne CD &/or DVD for us Brits? Amazon has the double-CD listed, but it's nearly £30! I've just been severely burned on the R< 'Shoot Out The Lights' double CD from Rhino (with considerable help from HM Customs) & I'm not looking to pay premium prices again anytime soon.

As discussed previously on (I think) the Dead thread, customs duties only apply to items priced over £18 and from sources outside the EU. You don't pay VAT as it's already included in the purchase price at the local rate. The only thing that might be a pain is the international postage

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »

i got mine from amazon france, worked out ok as i remember
no subtitles for those of you who didnt get grade 4 french o level though Grin

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »

They no longer seem to stock it.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »

They no longer seem to stock it.
it was some time ago

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »

This may be the best bet.

http://www.simonalan.com/e-shop/index.html
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »

I ended up getting the 2CD version of the live concert, plus the extra CD of 'Les Plus Grands Themes D'Anne De Bretagne' by Didier Squiban long before I picked up the double studio CD.

Ripping the live one to mp3, I found halfway through that they had Didier Squiban listed as Dider throughout, I'd misread it automatically as Didier, due to the familiarity of the name. Having spotted my mistake, I changed it to Dider.

Then I get the studio version & find he's Didier on that one. Googling seems to find as many listings for Dider as Didier, but I'm assuming the live release got it wrong & will now go & change it back again!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: