TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:24:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson advice?  (Read 45663 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »

There's a Bob Mould compilation for the mid 90's with an excellent live take on Shoot Out the Lights..

You're right....it's called Poison Years and it fills in the classic solo years between his time in Husker Du and Sugar

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »

Oh! That Bob Mould! I thought someone was thinking they were posting in Keith's Fun with mould thread!  Grin Wink
andy_ck87028
n3wb

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »

Well..... I probably have about 30 RT albums and I still cannot get over the sheer brilliance of the man.

After 20 years of collecting RT music, I finally got disappointed ...."Sunnyvista"....

The rest ...............MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

"Can't Win" .... brings up deep and tortured feelings in me! WOW........true catharsis!!!!!!!!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »

After 20 years of collecting RT music, I finally got disappointed ...."Sunnyvista"....

Shocked  I love it...

Just checked the album, and was surprised to see Glen Tilbrook included in the (extensive) personnel listing...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »

Shocked  I love it...

Just checked the album, and was surprised to see Glen Tilbrook included in the (extensive) personnel listing...

Well he did cover Tempted.....

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »

20+ years later

The Dude abides
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »

I like the 1000 years of music. I got the limited edition that has a dvd and 2 cds of the bimbos sf show. (I should have gone, but went somewhere else that night...DOH!)  One thing I like is the tiny guitar bit in oops I did it again that sounds medieval. But the disk is great.

My favorite RT solo song has got to be Vincent Black Lightening.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2007, 07:04:35 PM »

I couldn't get anyone to listen to RT until they'd heard that Bob Mould and had REM covered them.  Roll Eyes
And then one night at Cropredy there were tears at about the time James Avery died. "Oh my goodness - I never expected that" she said.
If in doubt, buy the new album. It'll be like most of the others in that there'll be a cracking opener, the third track will be brilliant, and the last track on the album will be odd, but engaging.  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Em
Equal Opportunity Employer

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »

I didn't know about the tribute album, so i shall have to go and investigate it.

I've been trying to pick a favourite RT song over the last wee while and i just can't do it. I find that i keep going back to Persuasion with Teddy Thompson, but it's certainly not my fave.  Undecided

Those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »

Has anyone mentioned The World Is a Wonderful Place? It's a "tribute" compilation, with a hidden track from Richard and Linda. The Plainsong version of Galway to Graceland is exquisite, and Chris Collister's ow Will I Ever be Simple Again are wonderful. As is Ivor Cutler's Wheely Down in its own way. 1993, Hokey Pokey Records.
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »

Hard Cash is a very special album.

Not strictly a RT album in the true sense, but one of his collaborations with former Climax keyboard player Peter Filleul, comprising of a whole host of fine performances from Martin Carthy, June Tabor, Gregson and Collister and many others.  RT performs on almost all the tracks, and contributes "Time to ring some changes" as a solo offering.

The Album came out as part of a BBC project studying the darker side of Labour History in Britain.  I think that the series was canned before it was aired, so the album was a bit of an oddity in that respect.  If the series has aired, then it would probably be the soundtrack.

Every song tells a unique story.

The last track "Good with my hands", sung by Christine Collister, is one of the most emotive pieces of music I've ever heard.

It is probably still available.  Thankfully, it has had sporadic re-releases over the years.

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2007, 09:44:24 PM »

Hard Cash is a very special album.

It is probably still available.  Thankfully, it has had sporadic re-releases over the years.

Hmmmm...don't think it is currently released but plenty of premium priced copies out there!

http://tinyurl.com/2jdpy5

Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2007, 01:22:08 AM »

Or you can wait 4-6 weeks for the Green Linnet copy - same album, different cover.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Cash-Various-Artists/dp/B000005CSK/ref=sr_1_11/203-4554029-4434300?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191198316&sr=1-11

There is a good review on Amazon though......

The thing with the songs is that they show all sides.  The employers as well as the employees.  

And Michael Marras "The Guernsey Kitchen Porter" is about someone who has tried to vanish, and doesn't really want to be found.....

RT offers another solo piece - "Oh I Swear", written specially for the project.

It's well worth getting.

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »

I suspect 4-6 weeks is a 'unlikely to obtain it, but we'll look around for you'

However, there are used copies on that link from under £8

Jan Wann-Snyder

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »

I find that i keep going back to Persuasion with Teddy Thompson, but it's certainly not my fave.  Undecided

Me, too.  
robpatdoy
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2007, 06:28:20 PM »

Um..unfortunately Green Linnet records was swallowed up by Compass Records last year. They were down to a handful of releases a year by the time of their demise, unlike their heyday not too many years before. Compass is a great company (yeay Alison Brown), but I have not heard what the status of Green Linnet's massive back catalog will be.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: