TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:32:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gathering - Legends of Folk Rock  (Read 44361 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »

JD solo album - "Telecasting".  I picked up a (sleeveless) copy of the CD years ago in a jumble sale. Haven't played it for a while. Must dig it out & post details on here.

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 02:11:29 PM »

just googled Telecasting... 1986 release; JD & the Hellecasters re-recorded the whole album as "Telecasting Recast" replacing the original (synth?) percussion & backing with real live musicians.

From memory, I reckon Recast would sound much better than the original release, which sounded a little thin/flat to my ears.

Flobbadob!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »

Indeed - I had forgotten about that.

It'll all be instrumental, Bridg - he doesn't sing....

forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:41 PM »

Fotheringay, Nine ...

Sorry I meant stuff he's done on his own (or with a band)

I have both of those BTW  Smiley
In 1990 he released an album called "Brief Encounters" (in Germany on HYPERTENSION) with Doug Morter, Gerry Conway, Rick Kemp, Matt Clifford a.o., and in 1992 "Neck Of The Wood" (on ROAD GOES ON FOREVER) with Gerry Conway, Dave Pegg, Maart, Garth Hudson, Alan Thomson, Dave Mattacks a.o.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:21 PM »

Indeed - I had forgotten about that.

It'll all be instrumental, Bridg - he doesn't sing....

No problem, it's his guitar playing I'm interested in. I'll Google and see what gems I come up with!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »

No problem, it's his guitar playing I'm interested in. I'll Google and see what gems I come up with!

For my taste, you'll find vintage Jerry on all three Hellecasters albums (and especially the first two), as well as the solo Neck Of The Wood ... 1986's Telecasting being a tad too '80s I think (although he did redo that for that very reason but I've always preferred Neck).

Now the Hellecasters, THAT was a gig to remember, in 1996. The Mill, wednesday (I think) before Cropredy, oddly underadvertised and therefore only 50 or so tickets sold. But that band was steaming. Despite the fact that they had in my memory a robot like drummer in the form of Steve Duncan - almost a drum machine, very straight and not very expressive. Well - I guess just right for the guitar showcase the Hellecasters were ... kind of a straight country drummer; he was with fellow Hellecaster John Jorgenson in (ex-Byrds-)Chris Hillman's Desert Rose Band ... in there too it's the drumming I find kind of yawn. But I digress.

Backroom Boys I never quite got into ... kinda faceless and not very memorable pubrock. Very competent live band, but basically just-for-fun I guess.
But you'll find Jerry Donahue unleashed on the Hellecasters albums.
Are they totally history now, or is it an on-hold project which might continue?
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 12:44:50 PM »

I've changed the title of this tread to better reflect the fact that this project is a collaboration and not purely a Jerry Donahue effort.

Line Up:

Jerry Donahue – Guitars
(Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, Sandy Denny, Ralph McTell)

From his early days in such bands as Fotheringay (with the late Sandy Denny) and Fairport Convention, to notable performances and/or recordings with Gerry Rafferty, Robert Plant, Joan Armatrading, Johnny Hallyday, George Harrison, Cliff Richard, Chris Rea, Warren Zevon, Bonnie Raitt, Hank Marvin, Roy Orbison, Nancy Griffith, The Yardbirds, and The Hellecasters, Jerry epitomizes the consummate guitarists guitarist.

The son of the late 1940s/50s Big Band leader Sam Donahue and TV and film actress, Patricia Donahue, brother of the late Marc Donahue, and father of singer/ songwriter Kristina Donahue, Jerry has combined the Celtic folk music of his adopted home in the UK with his American rock, blues and country roots to arrive at his own, unique, unmistakable style.

Rick Kemp - Bass/ Vocals
(Steeleye Span, Michael Chapman)

Having been a member of Steeleye Span for twenty years in total - between 1972 and 1986, and then from 2000 to the present day, Rick Kemp earned a great deal of admiration from more than just the folk fans. Kemp's intrepid, melodic bass playing is admired greatly among bassists for his ability to step outside the folk-rock genre to incorporate slap techniques and the use of a fretless bass in his work. In addition to Steeleye Span, Rick Kemp has played bass on a number of Maddy Prior recordings, was a member the Maddy Prior Band in the 1980s and has also worked extensively with Ralph McTell and Michael Chapman.

Clive Bunker – Drums
(Jethro Tull, Pentangle, Gordon Giltrap)

It was as a drummer of "mix and match" description that Clive Bunker joined the fledgling Jethro Tull at the end of '67 to accompany Ian Anderson, Mick Abrahams, and Glenn Cornick in the early, heady days of the post blues-boom years of Brit-rock. Never the self-professed technical drummer, Clive made his impact, based on his throbbing, gritty engagement with the essence of blues and rock and roll, moved by the work of Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell et al. Today, Clive still remains a sought-after session musician, with many, many credits to his name amongst the world of old and not-so-old music groups, and is soon to be touring with The Legends of Folk band, The Gathering.

Ray Jackson - Mandolin/ Harmonica/ Vocals
(Lindisfarne)

Ray is a founding member of Lindisfarne, formed in 1969, which in turn evolved from Brethren, his first professional band. Lindisfarne had a very successful recording career with Ray as front man, beginning with the album ‘Nicely Out Of Tune’, (containing the hit ‘Lady Eleanor’), continued with the ubiquitous ‘Fog On The Tyne’’ – featuring ‘Meet Me On The Corner’ and , later in the 70’s , ‘Run For Home’ from their reunion album, ‘Back And Fourth’. ‘In The Night’, a solo album, was released in 1980.

Ray has also played both mandolin and harmonica as well as performing vocals on sessions for other leading recording artists, including Rod Stewart's ‘Every Picture Tells a Story’ (‘Maggie May’ and ‘Mandolin Wind’) and on ‘Smiler’. Ray famously wrote the mandolin hook on ‘Maggie May’. On other sessions he has played for Chris de Burgh, Long John Baldry and Peter Hammill. Ray’s long career has seen him perform all over the world, including Japan and Australia, at such venues as Carnegie Hall, New York, The Olympia, Paris and The Troubadour in Los Angeles. He has played on the same bill as The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan and Traffic to name but a few.

Ray left Lindisfarne in 1990 to pursue his career as an artist whilst continuing session work. After the Alan Hull tribute concert in 2005, Ray finds himself ready to come out of retirement from live performing, dust off the mandolin, oil the vocal cords, and hit the road with The Gathering!

Doug Morter - Guitars/ Vocals
(Magna Carta, Maddy Prior, The Albion Band)

Doug Morter launched his music career in 1969, playing with Hunter Muskett, supporting David Bowie, and went on his first major tour supporting Ralph McTell. Following this, he had many gigs in UK and Europe with partner Richard Digance, with major tours supporting Jethro Tull, Joan Armatrading, Elkie Brooks , Richard Thompson, Supertramp, Sutherland Brothers, Kinks, and Steeleye Span.

After playing with Richard, Doug recorded and toured as part of the Maddy Prior Band, and as part of the Michael Chapman Band, and, in 1979, went on his first tour as part of The Albion Band. Doug then joined Magna Carta full time in 1980, after guesting on an earlier record. After three albums and a lot of foreign tours, Doug left in 1983 to re-join The Albion Band until 1985/6. In 1985, after releasing his first solo record, Doug started recording the first of two records with guitar virtuoso Jerry Donahue, which became the basis for The Backroom Boys, which still exists and tours whenever schedules permits.

Doug is presently working with Then Came The Wheel, his collaboration with Alan Thomson, Arran Ahmun, from John Martyn’s band, and Foster Paterson from Donnie Munro’s band, plus ‘Celtic Blues’ with Jens Falck, Paul Burgess (10cc, Chris Farlowe) , and Alan Thomson, and TheLegends of Folk Rock. Whew!

Kristina Donahue – Vocals

Daughter of legendary guitarist Jerry Donahue, granddaughter of the late 1940s/50s Big Band leader Sam Donahue and TV and film actress, Patricia Donahue, and niece of the late Marc Donahue, Kristina is a natural talent; singing and dancing before she could walk or talk.

She made her rock and roll debut at the Fairport Convention Cropredy Festival in 1999 singing to an audience of more than 20,000 people. She was invited back the following year, performing a full set for both nights of the festival which garnered rave reviews from MOJO Magazine for her stage presence and versatility as a vocalist. "(She made) an immediate impression over the loudest band of the weekend, seemingly un-intimidated by such an extraordinarily difficult song or backing that bore the might of musical history." Kristina is thrilled to be a part of the upcoming tour with The Legends of Folk Rock, The Gathering.

http://www.tenacitymusicpr.co.uk/gathering.htm
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 01:08:17 PM by Barry » Logged

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »

Finally sorted the pix.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »

And three more....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2007, 09:52:29 PM »

Dates in the autumn.....

NOVEMBER

Fr. 2nd: KINGS LYNN – Corn Exchange Tel. 01553 764864

Tues. 6th: CARDIFF – St. Davids Hall, The Hayes CF10 1SH
Time tbc. Tickets £16 / £14 - concs Tel 029 2087 8444

Sun.11th:  SKEGNESS - Embassy Centre, Grand Parade
Skegness , Lincolnshire PE 25 2UG  Tickets £16.50 and £14.50

Wed. 7th : DARTFORD - Orchard Theatre, Home Gardens, Kent DA1 1ED. Time tbc.
Tickets - £18 Tel. 01322 220000

Tue 13th : RHYL - Pavilion Theatre, Promenade, Denbeighshire LL!8 3AQ
Time tbc Tickets – 01745 330 000

Thurs. 15th: CAMBERLEY – The Camberley Theatre, Knoll Road, Surrey GU15 3SY
Time tbc Tickets - £16.50 Tel. 01276 707 600

Fr. 16th: WESTON SUPER MARE - The Playhouse, High Street, Somerset BS23 1HP
Time tbc Tickets - £16.50/£14 Tel. 01934 645 544

Sat. 17th: CREWE – The M Club, High Street, Cheshire CW2 7BN
Tickets / time tbc www.myspace.com/themclub

Fri. 23rd : GLENROTHES - Rothes Hall, Rothes Square, Fife KY7 5NX
Tickets - £16/£15 Tel 01592 611101

Sun. 25th : WOLVERHAMPTON - Wulfrun Hall, North Street, West Midlands WV1 1RQ
Tickets - £16.50 Tel. 0870 320 7000 (Box office/Ticketmaster)

Fri. 30th: YORK - Grand Opera House, 4 Cumberland Street YO1 9SW
Time tbc Tickets - http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/venue/189384

DECEMBER
Sat 1st : SOUTHPORT - Arts Centre, Lord Street, Merseyside PR8 1DB
Time tbc Tickets – 01704 540011

Sun 2nd: BURGESS HILL - Martlets Hall, Civic Way, Sussex RH15 9NN
Time tbc Tickets – 01444 242888

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 10:04:45 PM »

Somewhat, er, ambitious venues don't you think? Shocked

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 10:44:59 PM »

About right if the PR is good - they'll use the small hall in Cardiff.

Apart from York - that's huge in comparison.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2007, 06:54:52 AM »

About right if the PR is good - they'll use the small hall in Cardiff.

Apart from York - that's huge in comparison.

The PR can be as spot on as you want, but you still have to sell the tickets!  Personally, I'd have expected to see venues of the Robin 2 / Crewe Limelight / Sheffield Boardwalk (to chose three I know) kind of size.  Who knows, maybe casual viewers might be tempted by the (horrible) band name, but I'd still be surprised to see some of these venues selling as the promoter hopes.  But what do I know...hope I'm very wrong indeed, and they're selling out the RAH before the year is out  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 08:40:40 AM »

Interesting to note that their "myspace" page has gone .....  Huh

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2007, 08:47:54 AM »

Is Kristina's there?....She was doing the one for the band too.

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »

Kristina's is at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=106520086

I don't know who was handling The Gathering's page before, but it's definitely been deleted.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »

Kristina was definitely doing it - but you're right, it has gone.

Wonder why? Ulla?

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2007, 10:08:03 PM »

Dates in the autumn.....

NOVEMBER
Tues. 6th: CARDIFF – St. Davids Hall, The Hayes CF10 1SH
Time tbc. Tickets £16 / £14 - concs Tel 029 2087 8444

Excellent news. Will definitely be catching this lot. I don't like the name either but I can ignore that.  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 12:08:53 AM »

I'm not sure about this lot. Anyone who calls themself a legend is a bit up themsleves in my opinion (this doesn't look like irony). I could be missing a really good evening out, but hey - wouldn't be the first time and definitely won't be the last. Anyway, I've got a lot of musical nights out coming up between September and November.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007, 11:16:48 AM »

I'm always inclined to look at the potential musicianship involved, rather than any name.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: