TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:24:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport and MSC Live At Maidstone 1970 DVD  (Read 37347 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2007, 09:04:18 AM »

Calm down, dears, its only a talkawhile topic...  Wink

Flobbadob!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »

Looks as though Amazon have it vback in stock....

Thor-Rune

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2007, 11:35:38 PM »

Finally got mine from Amazon today. They have worked a lot on the sound, which was terribly distorted on the VHS. It's definitely improved now. I would think they've had a difficult task making it sound as good as this. There are still technical shortcomings, but I certainly prefer it to the VHS. And I'd forgotten that MSC actually finished one of their songs with a verse off Nottamun Town. Both bands play brilliantly, but I'm still aching for a DVD release of the Paris film by the Full House line-up currently doing the rounds at Youtube.

The bonus is an interview with Tony Palmer. Not really that interesting, but some fascinating insight.

T-R
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2007, 09:17:12 AM »

The bonus is an interview with Tony Palmer. Not really that interesting, but some fascinating insight.

Managing to be both at the same time is quite some feat!

Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:08 PM »

I would love to see all of the odd fc material available on a airring cupboard type dvd release. Sad that all the copyright bs makes this almost impossible.

Finally got mine from Amazon today. They have worked a lot on the sound, which was terribly distorted on the VHS. It's definitely improved now. I would think they've had a difficult task making it sound as good as this. There are still technical shortcomings, but I certainly prefer it to the VHS. And I'd forgotten that MSC actually finished one of their songs with a verse off Nottamun Town. Both bands play brilliantly, but I'm still aching for a DVD release of the Paris film by the Full House line-up currently doing the rounds at Youtube.

T-R

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2007, 02:55:58 PM »

http://www.harpmagazine.com/news/detail.cfm?article=12066
the beat goes on

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2007, 11:52:50 AM »

The holy grail would be a release of the stuff they did for French tv back in 1968 Smiley
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2007, 06:45:08 PM »

Quite a worthwhile release bringing back memories of the time it was part of a programme supporting 'Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii(?)'.
Clips from the Floyd film along with Joe Boyd 'voxpops' were in the recent BBC 1 documentary on PF's history.
Fairport deserve the same overview perhaps on BBC 4

Don't agree it's Gerry Conway on Drums for Matthews Southern Comfort. The credits at the end give Ray Duffy (drums).

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »

The holy grail would be a release of the stuff they did for French tv back in 1968 Smiley

There were only three songs on that, the rest of it were pretty incomprehensible items Shocked and Oh yes a track by Julie Driscoll and the Brian Auger Trinity from a local club - all eyes and a fantastic hat! Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »

There are still technical shortcomings, but I certainly prefer it to the VHS.

I've probably posted this years ago but old age (not to mention Christmas pud) makes one forget....

I saw the original Live at Maidstone film at the Nottingham Arts Theatre (I think) around 1971 when Tony Palmer was present & did a bit of chat. Apparently it was filmed in some sort of early multi-camera video process (French patent I believe) and was then copied to 35mm film. It was all quite spontaneous & I'm not sure if there was any extra lighting for the film. All this therefore accounts for the slightly naff quality (I noticed it at the cinema - Hi-Def it wasn't!)

If you want to view a recent effort by Mr. Palmer, have a look at "O Thou Transcendent" on Channel 5, New Year's Day. It's about Ralph Vaughan Williams so has a folk element. Tony has provoked a bit of a spat in the press by claiming he got an idiotic rejection letter from the Beeb when he suggested the documentary. Genuine or not, the letter is a hoot - see link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/dec/09/bbc.tvnews

Any publicity is good publicity eh Tony?  Grin
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:00:25 PM by Edthefolkie » Logged

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
the beat goes on

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2007, 09:46:55 AM »

There were only three songs on that, the rest of it were pretty incomprehensible items Shocked and Oh yes a track by Julie Driscoll and the Brian Auger Trinity from a local club - all eyes and a fantastic hat! Grin

[/quote]

Only three songs but what a fantastic performance!   Grin
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2008, 09:25:29 PM »

This DVD is reviewed in current (February) edition of "Uncut" magazine-not a bad magazine of music and film reviews and articles if bought every now and again, this latest edition has a "free CD" of music that is said to have influenced the early Dylan- anyway, the review of the "Maidstone" DVD is generally positive, but slags of Matthews Southern Comfort. Some interesting observations on the (un)hippyish festival crowd of a late 60's/early 70's British provincial town.
DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »

Only three songs but what a fantastic performance!   Grin
[/quote]

Yes, and the frustrating thing is that these must be available somewhere in full colour, rather than the black and white clips normally seen. Presumably in the archives of French TV.They used a bit of the colour print in the Richard Thompson docu Solitary Life. Can someone remind me what the third song is. I can remember Time Will Show The Wiser, and the amazing Reno Nevada. What was the third one then?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »

Morning Glory.....

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2008, 07:57:01 PM »

Morning Glory.....

Beat me to it Jude  Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: