TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forthcoming Live 2-CD  (Read 41934 times)
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 01:21:25 PM »

Dear Simon,
Thank you for the good news. I will buy mine in Northampton.  Kiss
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2005, 07:46:47 PM »

Also, moderators, can't we please change the name of this thread to "Forthcoming Live 2-CD" or somesuch, since this clearly isn't about the fine "Journeyman's Grace" release?

Good idea......done!

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005, 11:07:50 PM »

am i the only person on this board who knew that another (god help us all) live cd was on the way when the 4 track freebie was issued
 so its from last years wintour and none of the current peggless tour is going to be on it
 ill end up getting it, but another live cd............ why? theres at least a dozen or so out there already( irefuse to count them any more its easies just to weigh them

The Dude abides
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 09:42:47 AM »

HBopefully, it'll feature tracks that haven't yet had the 'live' treatment...

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 09:51:27 AM »

Big Dave:
Just wondered about your quote from "From A Distance", isn't it supposed to be "it's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace, it's the heart of every man"?  I've heard a few different versions of the song and I don't recall hearing that particular one.  Certainly I could be wrong.

Hi Neil, Alex
Please bear in mind that I have dodgy hearing so it is definetly me who is in the wrong! Wot I writ is what I thought I heard  Grin  Grin
(self imposed yellow card for topic drift  Shocked Roll Eyes)

Drifting on.........

You're probably all right.

The "chorus" starts as "it's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace, it's the voice of every man". The first repeat is "playing songs of hope,singing songs of peace, they're the songs of everyman", second is "It's a song of hope etc etc" and finally " It's the hope of hopes, it's the love of loves, it's the heart of everyman". Pick the bones out of that lot!

Incidentally, I've always thought that the Nanci Griffith recording on Lone Star State of Mind was the definitive version - sorry Simon!

Steve (in - temporary- pedant mode)
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 10:03:39 AM »

I've heard several versions of From a Distance (including Cannon and Ball and Bette Midler)
and for me, and it is one of my favourite songs in the whole world, Simon's version is the absolute best, I've not heard anyone to equal it, let alone better it. Smiley
I remember at Pump Bottom, Simon sang Don't Despise The Deserter, it would be amazing if that appeared on the live CD (it would also be amazing if it featured in the set more often too...hint hint)

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 10:23:50 AM »

I really like live CDs as it gives me a feel for the shows - and often brings back really good memories.  I am looking forward to adding this to the collection.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 10:29:15 AM »

I'm the same Suzanne..  the live cds are different to the studio ones (Obviously) but I love them as much if not more.. especially when I've been to the gig.

AmyJen

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 10:57:31 AM »

I've heard several versions of From a Distance (including Cannon and Ball and Bette Midler)
and for me, and it is one of my favourite songs in the whole world, Simon's version is the absolute best, I've not heard anyone to equal it, let alone better it. Smiley

Mic

Certainly not Sir Cliff who, as you would imagine, use the G word as often as poss Grin
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 11:52:53 AM »

Also, moderators, can't we please change the name of this thread to "Forthcoming Live 2-CD" or somesuch, since this clearly isn't about the fine "Journeyman's Grace" release?

Good idea......done!

Thank you sir.  It will be nice when someone actually gets the set in hand to have the actual contents (or a link to same) posted here.  I'm sure that I don't need to mention to most of the people reading this thread that, being a 2 CD set, it is not highly likely that most of the material will be stuff that we don't already have some/multiple live versions of, but still one hopes for as much of the fresher/less-represented material on the set as possible.

Weighing in on From a Distance, I'd have to say that the song is strong enough to endure much, but Bette Midler pretty well killed it.  I still can listen to Simon and Nanci Griffith's versions and enjoy them, but that is more than enough.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 01:10:38 PM »

As a beginner on the trail of the Live CDs I'm looking forward to this one.  I may well have been to one or more of the shows that will feature, I certainly attended both tours.  It would be nice if a couple of tracks from this Autumn tour could find their way onto this release, but maybe they're not recorded in the same way as the full-on WinTour...

Listening to Red & Gold in the car last night, the difference in atmosphere was so apparent when the bonus track Close to the Wind came on.  I know this was recorded at Cropredy, and is on another level again, but this track always gets turned up as loud as the speakers will handle.  The whole vibe is just, well, wow!

From A Distance, well, it was pretty much killed off for me a few years back when someone (presumably Bette Midler) had a big hit with it and it was just everywhere all the time.  Don't get me wrong it's a lovely song and I enjoy listening to Simon's version when I'm playing that album but I don't go out of my way to hear it - it's still too cringeworthy for me in any version.  No fault of the artists who have recorded it as such, just bad luck I guess.

This isn't the place for a soap-box moment, but I really can't listen to the Deserter.  I skip it whenever it comes on.  Ask me why in the Arms sometime, not gonna get political in here.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2005, 01:14:24 PM »

re from a didstance, iagree with steve-n
Nanci Griffiths version on lone star state of mind is the definitive,and i think the first ,version of the song(it was written for her), Simon makes a fair stab at it but its not a song i want to hear very often as it does lend itself to being smothered in treacle, just like the way Nanci does it on stage these days

the new live material is only going to be a few tracks off OTNH 70 percent of the album is bound to be old favourites

The Dude abides
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2005, 02:02:45 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me!

While it seems like there's a few Fairport live albums out there, there hasn't actually been a proper, current line-up only (i.e. not with all the guests at Cropredy), live album released since 'In Real Time' (if you count that) or 'Farewell Farewell'.

There's been the various archive releases, DVDs, DVD soundtrack on CD, etc, but none have really been a proper live album.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2005, 12:01:08 AM »

Looking forward to the live cd. Feel that they are better than the studio ones when the artists are talented as overproduction in the studio seems to take something away

rachel
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2005, 10:09:48 AM »

over production! fairport?
 more like lack of a proper producer and  the quality control a producer brings

The Dude abides
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2005, 10:42:02 AM »

over production! fairport?

Sorry- should have probably put any production. I really prefer Fairport live and can't think of any number that doesn't sound better live, for me the studio albums are more reminders of the live performances than the definative version of a song. Probably not explaining myself very well but never mind

rachel
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2005, 03:57:58 PM »

Pre-Cropredy this year at The Mill, they did Genesis hall... I know they've probably got this on another live album somewhere, but it was fantastic!!!!  I can't hear the song now without seeing the expression on Peggy's face as he sang backing vocals... can't explain what I mean, I think you'd have to have seen it Roll Eyes
Anyhoo, it would be great if that one was included.

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2005, 11:39:28 PM »

am i the only person on this board who knew that another (god help us all) live cd was on the way when the 4 track freebie was issued
 so its from last years wintour and none of the current peggless tour is going to be on it
 ill end up getting it, but another live cd............ why? theres at least a dozen or so out there already( irefuse to count them any more its easies just to weigh them

Well, clever you then... Simon Nicol's post did say it would be from 2004/2005 so couldn't there be a chance some of this Autumn's tour may be included? I really don't see why not. It's all taken from the live mix...and as said before, hopefully they'll pick some of the songs that haven't been on previous live cds. Otherwise, I'd agree, why another live cd if it's all the same as before?
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2005, 03:51:11 AM »

Well, clever you then... Simon Nicol's post did say it would be from 2004/2005 so couldn't there be a chance some of this Autumn's tour may be included? I really don't see why not. It's all taken from the live mix...and as said before, hopefully they'll pick some of the songs that haven't been on previous live cds. Otherwise, I'd agree, why another live cd if it's all the same as before?

Um...if someone feels there are too many live CDs couldn't they just, well...not buy it?

As for me, I enjoy them a lot and will be looking forward to this one.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2005, 08:52:07 AM »

I'm sure that I don't need to mention to most of the people reading this thread that, being a 2 CD set, it is not highly likely that most of the material will be stuff that we don't already have some/multiple live versions of, but still one hopes for as much of the fresher/less-represented material on the set as possible.

I'm hoping that most of at least one CD will be from the current tour. This line-up is likely to be a one-off, and ought to be consigned to a silver disc for posterity, if not an historic record.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: