TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 31, 2024, 04:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 06 bands announced  (Read 134964 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2005, 08:01:30 PM »

go olly and the Rants, I'll be there waving from the bar.
be nice to hear them, then I'll make up me mind

Well said Sir. Smiley 
Although Jono's point was that he'd seen the band and didn't think they were good enough, that would account for about half the acts that ever appear if you believe some folk. I've seen 'em and on past evidence they're certainly good enough to open the show (IMHO).

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2005, 08:06:12 PM »

Personally i think it's a great idea to have the Wrants at Cropredy. Remember though olly a word of wisdom from the great Debbie Allen  

"you got big dreams, well dreams cost &
                                         right here's where you'll start paying....in sweat!"

My friends are all junkies but they're still my friends
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2005, 08:17:55 PM »

waistcoats, yes...but legwarmers on stage..... Shocked

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2005, 08:23:09 PM »

Showing your age there Skirky ol boy

My friends are all junkies but they're still my friends
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2005, 08:28:56 PM »

I also saw the Wrants play at Banbury by the canal on the Sunday and not only did they play really well (and certainly more than well enough) but it was a real treat to see all their friends dancing.

I suspect they'll have the same effect at Cropredy and that'll be lovely Cheesy

Jude Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2005, 09:48:06 AM »

I'm absolutely astonished to hear anyone say that a band could be too young or inexperienced to play at Cropredy!!! It seems to me like saying to Wayne Rooney - "Sorry mate, you're too young to play for England!"

And let's not forget that it was an 18-year-old Richard Thompson who wrote Meet on the Ledge. Perhaps Fairport can see in wRants a reflection of that group of teenagers who produced such ground-breaking music between 1968 and 70.

More power to you Ollie and the wRants! Ignore the bitter old b*ggers - they're just jealous!
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2005, 12:47:25 PM »

More power to you Ollie and the wRants! Ignore the bitter old b*ggers - they're just jealous!

Order in the room please !  Wink

Now Jono expressed his opinion and had the grace to say:
I'm truly pleased for you (maybe even a little envious!) and I'm sure you'll have one hell of a good time up on that big stage!
so I am not sure if Jono was being a "bitter old b*gger" at all.

I think that Olly himself has expressed it best of all when he offered the following:
f young bands don't play at music festivals (especially croppers) the festival will die out. along with the tradition. if the oldies want there music to disappear with them then good for them. but i certainly am not going to let it die. i can accept that there will be some people that don't like us, but please only judge us after hearing us. Hope to see you down the front at croppers Olly.

I couldn't have put it better myself so I will not try.

I shall be down the front at Cropredy (more than a little envious) and I know that I will be in very good company.

Jono.... I don't agree with you mate, but I will happily share a pint with you after the W-Rants' set to see if you've changed your mind.

Phew.....

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
soolntr

« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2005, 12:45:26 PM »

Well personally I cant understand what all the fuss is about, looks like the worst thursday line up since the festival went three days to me, looks like i will be watching PJ Wright and spending the rest of the night in the Brasenose which will be a first for me since i first attended the festival in 1984.

Lets hope that the Friday night makes up for it and that we dont end up with another night in the pub.

Over the years i have come to think of Fairport Convention as a tradition rather than a band with former members still being very much part of the family, at Cropredy through time the highlights have been the unexpected special guests Robert Plant being the top of this list, and the odd unknown gem such as the Leningrad Cowboys, supplemented  with classic bands like Tull Procul Harum Oysterband etc....all finished off with Fairports saturday spectacular and the anticipation of that special guest... however the definition of special guest has been somewhat diluted over time we seem to have degenerated from the heights of Billy Connolly and Robert Plant through Steve Harley and Mike Read to a school dance team and a trio who busked outside the train station, surely a special guest should be more than this....

Saturday Fairport Convention and Special Guests**

A special guest is anybody who has already appeared this weekend, anybody who has ever appeared in Fairport Convention at anytime, or anyone who has shared a pint with Dave Pegg. Perhaps one year the backing singers for Meet on the Ledge will comprise the very special guests of everyone who has been to all the Cropredy Festivals WOW!!!!!!. Please note that Richard Thompson is the only former member of Fairport who can be considered a special guest.

After 22 years of Cropredy what makes me come back every year, the people, the atmosphere, the crowd I attend with, but as time passes the self indulgent nature of the line up is starting to grate, and the irritating sound of 'All around my Hat' on a balmy summers evening may well be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I have probably rambled as i have compiled this at work on reading the ecstatic response to a boring Thursday night line up, no doubt i will be met by howls of derision, but we all have our views and I will continue to air mine unless i get sectioned by the folk police.

Special guests ...what's yours called.

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »

Please note that Richard Thompson is the only former member of Fairport who can be considered a special guest.

Not Dave Swarbrick, then?  I think he'd qualify too (actually, I'd put him as a very special guest)

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Tony H
Has a good head for figures

Loc: Leicester

the artist formally known as molar

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2005, 12:59:51 PM »

I can't find the list of bands for 06. Has it gone or is it just me?

Never in the field...
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2005, 01:02:29 PM »

Pipped to the post Grin
I was just about to say the very same thing Cheesy

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Anaphase
Avec Lapin et Balconette

Loc: Burton on Trent

Saucy Git

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2005, 01:03:03 PM »

No, don't think it's you.  I can't seem to find it either.  Maybe it's being updated?

Ana

Wild Thing!  You make my thing swing....
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2005, 01:04:42 PM »

After 22 years of Cropredy what makes me come back every year, the people, the atmosphere, the crowd I attend with, but as time passes the self indulgent nature of the line up is starting to grate, and the irritating sound of 'All around my Hat' on a balmy summers evening may well be the straw that breaks the camels back.
I have probably rambled as i have compiled this at work on reading the ecstatic response to a boring Thursday night line up, no doubt i will be met by howls of derision, but we all have our views and I will continue to air mine unless i get sectioned by the folk police.

Special guests ...what's yours called.

I'm only guessing here but I don't think you like Steeleye Span very much  Wink

But, as you are a newbie (welcome) how about sharing with us who you would rather see supporting Fairport on the Thursday, that way we can get to know you better and call off the folk dogs of war before they descend.

Jackdaw
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2005, 01:07:33 PM »

Well personally I cant understand what all the fuss is about, looks like the worst thursday line up since the festival went three days to me, looks like i will be watching PJ Wright and spending the rest of the night in the Brasenose which will be a first for me since i first attended the festival in 1984.

Just goes to show... you can't please everyoone...  but no one will force you to go on Thursday....

Funny the list was there the other day.. wonder where it's gone???

Yes please tell us who you'd like to see.

AmyJen

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »

Well personally I cant understand what all the fuss is about, looks like the worst thursday line up since the festival went three days to me, looks like i will be watching PJ Wright and spending the rest of the night in the Brasenose

Hi Soolntr

I have to say I and a number of others that I know will be joining you in the pub.

I have seen Steeleye Span twice in the last 2 years and just cannot get excited about them (or even just casually listen to them). Still, it would be awful if everbody liked the same bands, and I suppose that the chances are that there will be a headliner or two that just do not push your buttons every now and again. At least there is a fall back position.

We will, however, make the effort to see the WRants who I have now seen several times and whom I do think warrant support.

Lets wait and see what Friday and Saturday have to offer Smiley

Sandra

Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2005, 01:48:35 PM »

I too want something more exciting than "All around my hat"  and the wRants will do very nicely for starters.  As has already been mentioned, they are VERY GOOD and will only get better!  Woohoo to Olly and all of you.

I have just checked and I'll be on holiday the week after, so I am going to make it to Cropredy after 27 years of living in Banbury!

YIPPEE!!!!!

Did that work?  It was my first attempt at fancy computer stuff!

Carolyn.
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »

Ooh - it did!   Grin

C.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2005, 02:01:43 PM »

I too want something more exciting than "All around my hat"  and the wRants will do very nicely for starters.  As has already been mentioned, they are VERY GOOD and will only get better!  Woohoo to Olly and all of you.

I have just checked and I'll be on holiday the week after, so I am going to make it to Cropredy after 27 years of living in Banbury!

YIPPEE!!!!!

Did that work?  It was my first attempt at fancy computer stuff!

Carolyn.

Steeleye must be getting pretty bored by now with All Around My Hat jibes, like judging Fairport on Si Tu Dois Partir or Ralph on Streets of London.

I have really liked what I've heard of the newer stuff and Ken Nicol is a top guitarist.

Bring it on I say, plus the Croppers crowd all singing AAMH should be worth a laugh at least.

Jackdaw  Smiley

Have fun in the pub guys though.
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)

« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2005, 02:03:06 PM »

Well I must admit that I will join in with it - I just want more!

Carolyn
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2005, 02:10:23 PM »

and I suppose that the chances are that there will be a headliner or two that just do not push your buttons every now and again. At least there is a fall back position.

I can relate to that as we only lasted four songs of the Country Joe set before deciding to go for a walk down to the village.  Sad

Looking forward to seeing SS myself, though I do tend to prefer Maddy Prior in one of her other incarnations these days - MP and the Girls were excellent when we saw them last week, perhaps they should be on at Cropredy instead.

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: