TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:12:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 204   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1796455 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #3040 on: August 03, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »

Poco guitarist and singer Paul Cotton, aged 78.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3041 on: August 03, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »

Oh no.  I am now spinning Bad Weather in his honour.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3042 on: August 07, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »

The show goes on for ZZ Top but I liked their tribute to Dusty

* IMG_20210807_144835.jpg (49.99 KB, 702x811 - viewed 608 times.)

The Dude abides
wayne stote

« Reply #3043 on: August 08, 2021, 12:31:08 AM »

Oh no.  I am now spinning Bad Weather in his honour.

Jules

That's a lovely song.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3044 on: August 12, 2021, 08:28:55 PM »

Hammond B3 virtuoso and singer Mike Finnigan, aged 76, of kidney cancer.

Most recently, he was part of Bonnie Raitt's touring band. She featured him heavily in her show. R.I.P.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3045 on: August 12, 2021, 08:45:46 PM »

Most recently, he was part of Bonnie Raitt's touring band. She featured him heavily in her show. R.I.P.

Sometime colleague of David Crosby's too, who absolutely worships his talent.  There will be a few broken hearts over this.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3046 on: August 12, 2021, 08:57:12 PM »

Sometime colleague of David Crosby's too, who absolutely worships his talent.  There will be a few broken hearts over this.

Jules

Not just the Croz...he was a massive part of early 80s CSN and plays a major role (and takes a load of vocals) on Stills' Right By You.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3047 on: August 12, 2021, 10:20:53 PM »

Not just the Croz...he was a massive part of early 80s CSN and plays a major role (and takes a load of vocals) on Stills' Right By You.

You'll pardon my ignorance on this - I avoided that Stills album because I didn't want to be any more downhearted about Stephen's fall from grace.  But yes, you're absolutely right - Mike worked with the whole gang.

Jules

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3048 on: August 12, 2021, 10:24:26 PM »

Also, Dave Mason, at some point, IIRC.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3049 on: August 13, 2021, 07:50:37 AM »

You'll pardon my ignorance on this - I avoided that Stills album because I didn't want to be any more downhearted about Stephen's fall from grace.  But yes, you're absolutely right - Mike worked with the whole gang.

Jules

In truth you were probably quite right to do so...it was one disappointment after another being a CSN(Y) fan in that era...the Croz inside, then Right By You, Innocent Eyes, Landing on Water etc etc.  Dark days!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #3050 on: August 13, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »

Jules

In truth you were probably quite right to do so...it was one disappointment after another being a CSN(Y) fan in that era...the Croz inside, then Right By You, Innocent Eyes, Landing on Water etc etc.  Dark days!

The Eighties were not kind to CSNY, were they?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3051 on: August 13, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »

Jules

The Eighties were not kind to CSNY, were they?

Not at all - culminating in the horror that was American Dream.  How many people ever listen to that (or Looking Forward) for pleasure?

In (most of their) defence I'd say that I really like Daylight Again, and Allies isn't as awful as it might have been given David's (and to some extent, Stephen's) condition.

wayne stote

« Reply #3052 on: August 13, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »

I like a lot of Eighties CSNY music, individually and collectively. Personally, I enjoy American Dream as much as Deja Vu, as different as they are.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3053 on: August 13, 2021, 12:48:53 PM »

I like a lot of Eighties CSNY music, individually and collectively. Personally, I enjoy American Dream as much as Deja Vu, as different as they are.

Cripes!  I'm glad that cheesy (over) production and the whole synthy/keyboards thang (this really is the wrong thread for this) does it for someone.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #3054 on: August 13, 2021, 03:22:37 PM »

Cripes!  I'm glad that cheesy (over) production and the whole synthy/keyboards thang (this really is the wrong thread for this) does it for someone.

I do like your tolerance, and non- judgemental acceptance of others’ views.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
wayne stote

« Reply #3055 on: August 13, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »

Learned to love music in the Eighties so I love that decade's production styles and all those synths. Happily, I don't find it cheesy at all.  Smiley
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3056 on: August 13, 2021, 03:41:37 PM »

In (most of their) defence I'd say that I really like Daylight Again, and Allies isn't as awful as it might have been given David's (and to some extent, Stephen's) condition.

I gave Daylight Again a listen this morning after hearing of Michael Finnigan's passing. The only track I skipped through was Too Much Love to Hide. Apart from that it's a good collection of songs. Wasn't it originally going to be a Stills & Nash album but the record company insisted that it had to be a CSN release?

I should really try and give Live It Up a spin sometime but just the cover art is enough to put me off.  Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
wayne stote

« Reply #3057 on: August 13, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »

I gave Daylight Again a listen this morning after hearing of Michael Finnigan's passing. The only track I skipped through was Too Much Love to Hide. Apart from that it's a good collection of songs. Wasn't it originally going to be a Stills & Nash album but the record company insisted that it had to be a CSN release?

I should really try and give Live It Up a spin sometime but just the cover art is enough to put me off.  Grin

Sausages on the moon. What a concept!  Grin

For me, it starts with a couple of fairly ordinary songs by Joe Vitale and Souther/Kortchmar respectively but from there, grows into a really good listen, with all three of them contributing strong material.

I suspect it may be too cheesy and synth-driven for some though.  Smiley
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3058 on: August 13, 2021, 04:34:20 PM »

Sausages on the moon. What a concept!  Grin

For me, it starts with a couple of fairly ordinary songs by Joe Vitale and Souther/Kortchmar respectively but from there, grows into a really good listen, with all three of them contributing strong material.

I suspect it may be too cheesy and synth-driven for some though.  Smiley

My imaginary high school band would have been called Cheesy and Synth-Driven. Smiley
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3059 on: August 13, 2021, 07:05:28 PM »

Just read that Nanci Griffith has passed away. She was 68.

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 204   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: