TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 146366 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #480 on: September 27, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »

Endless River is just nothing. I wont ever listen to it after the first attempt.

I think the idea was to honour Rick somehow but, yeah, it really wasn't worthy of release.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #481 on: September 27, 2023, 12:40:24 PM »

While I'm partial to a bit of Pink Floyd,  I'm happy never to hear Dark Side of the Moon (original album) again. I think this is partly because it was hard to ignore the album back in the day,  and I always found it a bit contrived and overblown anyway. So as regards a redux,  no.  Interesting that even keen Floyd fans aren't bothered 🤔 either.
I havent got enough hands to count the number , on my fingers, of Floyd albums I prefer to DSOTM.

Yep...good point.  I saw a ridiculous list of Best PF albums the other day which had the Endless River above the first two.  And the Division Bell seems to now be regarded as a major Top 5 piece rather than a really rather average but ok afterburp.  I dunno...It takes all sorts... Grin
Endless River is just nothing. I wont ever listen to it after the first attempt.

Spot on Nick
Absolute tripe, they should have been ashamed to put it out, never mind charge for it.  It's not even good wallpaper

The Dude abides
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #482 on: September 29, 2023, 11:36:10 AM »

I quite enjoyed Endless River.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #483 on: September 29, 2023, 11:55:41 AM »

It's not as bad as is being portrayed (including probably by me), it's just a very flimsy concept and comes with a lot of filler attached.  It's just very minor, really...  I'd lump it in with something like the Orb and David Gilmour's Metallic Spheres.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #484 on: September 29, 2023, 01:57:23 PM »

It's not as bad as is being portrayed (including probably by me), it's just a very flimsy concept and comes with a lot of filler attached.  It's just very minor, really...  I'd lump it in with something like the Orb and David Gilmour's Metallic Spheres.  

Lumping is a good word.  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #485 on: September 29, 2023, 02:28:49 PM »

A new version of Metallic Spheres is due for release today, I believe. About 40 mins of music for the price of a full CD. Think I'll wait for the price to come down. And they missed a trick by not including spatial mixes (5.1 or Atmos) of the origonal release and/or the new one...

Flobbadob!
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #486 on: October 02, 2023, 10:46:19 PM »

In March 1973 I walked into Bonaparte Records in Croydon, the two hairy fellows behind the counter were staring wide-eyed and open mouthed at a record deck, where they were in the process of playing a record volume turned up to 11, eager for the next track to start playing . I was looking through the racks of records when suddenly Time played - all 3 of us jumped out of our skins,  not expecting to hear all the alarm clocks etc. I don't think I bought DSOTM that day but a few days later - early pressing with the posters and stuff. I have listened to it ever since.

I have has a listen to the few tracks of Roger's new offering and I doubt if I will buy it - not because I think its sacrilege to reimagine the album  (I absolutely love Easy Star All Stars Dub side of the moon) and not because I don't like Roger Waters stuff (Amused to Death is one of my favorite albums ever) - but it just didn't seem to work for me. Shame

At about the same time, I walked into a record shop in East Dulwich intending to buy DSOH and I saw “Sundown” album by Gordon Lightfoot and bought it.  Never been persuaded I made 5he wrong choice.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #487 on: October 02, 2023, 11:36:49 PM »

Never been persuaded I made 5he wrong choice.

But you did just then.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #488 on: October 05, 2023, 02:14:25 PM »

Just noticed that Kula Shaker have a new album coming out  Natural Magick which will be released on January 26th 2024

From what I can see reuniting the original K line up

I really liked a lot of songs on their last album 1st Congregational Church Of Eternal Love and Free Hugs But in the end I had to delete all the inter-track segues as they really really irritated me - hopefully they won't repeat something similar on this one.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #489 on: October 11, 2023, 02:11:58 PM »

This looks to be of note... https://acerecords.co.uk/incident-at-a-free-festival-1?fbclid=IwAR0XZOvU4EgFe4mkMa8dc01ZyT5i5OQ-dDnbwDxZk_Pj8_5KQw4qhcbx2mQ

* CDCHD-1619-INCIDENT-_700_700.jpg (122.14 KB, 700x700 - viewed 296 times.)

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #490 on: October 11, 2023, 08:14:54 PM »

The mighty Stackwaddy😎

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #491 on: October 11, 2023, 08:35:55 PM »

A mate of mine is getting very hot under the collar about the fact that only one of the festivals mentioned in the blurb was actually a free festival.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #492 on: October 11, 2023, 08:48:43 PM »

A mate of mine is getting very hot under the collar about the fact that only one of the festivals mentioned in the blurb was actually a free festival.

That seems a very small hill on which to die!  Grin
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #493 on: October 12, 2023, 09:17:38 AM »

And Paladin  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2023, 09:33:55 AM »

That seems a very small hill on which to die!  Grin

Lol.  He has a reputation for this...Britain's foremost historian of psychedelic history no less...

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2023, 10:00:14 AM »

Now you're talking.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2023, 05:22:04 PM »

A 32 disc super deluxe box set of Camel's albums from 1973-84, plus lots of extras, is coming out in November: https://burningshed.com/camel_air-born_boxset?filter_tag=Camel

I'm interested, but not sure I can afford it, although if anyone was wondering what to give me for Christmas...  Wink Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2023, 05:37:26 PM »

A 32 disc super deluxe box set of Camel's albums from 1973-84, plus lots of extras, is coming out in November: https://burningshed.com/camel_air-born_boxset?filter_tag=Camel

I'm interested, but not sure I can afford it, although if anyone was wondering what to give me for Christmas...  Wink Grin

It's bloody good value to be fair - I think they realised from the Caravan box what these sort of things sell at.  I'm tempted, but will try and resist.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #498 on: October 12, 2023, 06:13:51 PM »

I am really tempted, though I have never knowingly heard a note of Caravan's music. I am just not sure that I have enough time to consume this much of it in a way that will make an impact.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #499 on: October 13, 2023, 09:00:57 AM »

I am really tempted, though I have never knowingly heard a note of Caravan's music. I am just not sure that I have enough time to consume this much of it in a way that will make an impact.

It might be better to buy the first 3 or 4 albums individually  - the 2002 CD editions sound very good and have live bonus material- and see how you get on. Less of an investment.  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: