TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:39:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 146371 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #460 on: September 08, 2023, 12:23:31 PM »

Mr Zimmerman is at it again.
£165 for 4 CDs anyone?
https://badlands.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-complete-budokan-1978-4cd-box-set/

Angry

They're really going to try and bleed the last 500 people who still buy CDs.

Jules

I think you'd be surprised at the numbers of people buying 'archival' releases on CD, if not actual new releases.  If anybody wants to make money over the next decade or so, fill your boots from the charity shops who haven't yet caught on (more and more are) - the numbers of CDs I buy for 50p-£1.50 and sell for 5, 10, 20 times that.  CDs are like vinyl was in the 90s...it's a brilliant market with oodles of potential.  Fwiw, I think vinyl has started to burst.  New Stones album for £35?  And probably a sh1te pressing to boot?  Who wants to play that game?
Bought 3 for a quid this morning.  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #461 on: September 15, 2023, 11:45:48 AM »

A  boxed set of Pentangle  radio sessions 1982-2011.  Cherry Red.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #462 on: September 15, 2023, 12:02:06 PM »

A  boxed set of Pentangle  radio sessions 1982-2011.  Cherry Red.

Luverley... https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/pentangle-reunions-live-bbc-sessions-1982-2011-4cd-clamshell-box/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #463 on: September 15, 2023, 01:37:30 PM »

It is worth pointing out (as others have done elsewhere) that half of this has already been released as Finale.  Which is, arguably, a little cheeky...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #464 on: September 15, 2023, 05:21:47 PM »

It is worth pointing out (as others have done elsewhere) that half of this has already been released as Finale.  Which is, arguably, a little cheeky...

I didn't know that. I have Finale as a vinyl set, I think it's 3 LPs.  4CDs is kind of double that in quantity?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #465 on: September 15, 2023, 05:52:24 PM »

I didn't know that. I have Finale as a vinyl set, I think it's 3 LPs.  4CDs is kind of double that in quantity?

The final two discs are Finale

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #466 on: September 15, 2023, 09:19:26 PM »

The 10CD version of The Who's "Who's Next / Lifehouse" project has shipped.

Extravagantly priced, it seems irrelevant that most of their fans are pensioners.

I guess we're supposed to hope a) that one of our (grand)kids will buy it for us for Christmas and b) it's worth the money (It's not. How can it be?)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #467 on: September 16, 2023, 09:03:11 AM »

The 10CD version of The Who's "Who's Next / Lifehouse" project has shipped.

Extravagantly priced, it seems irrelevant that most of their fans are pensioners.

I guess we're supposed to hope a) that one of our (grand)kids will buy it for us for Christmas and b) it's worth the money (It's not. How can it be?)

...and c) we fogies live long enough to listen to all of it  Grin
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2023, 12:00:51 PM »

Nice looking Box Set of Brinsley Schwarz due soon. 7 cds including all the albums plus loads of extras on each cd. All for about £38, bargain. Seems like Ian Gomm has quite an archive.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2023, 12:05:04 PM »

Nice looking Box Set of Brinsley Schwarz due soon. 7 cds including all the albums plus loads of extras on each cd. All for about £38, bargain. Seems like Ian Gomm has quite an archive.

I've got the 5 CD original album set which believe it or not I picked up for a quid.  I think that'll do me...

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #470 on: September 26, 2023, 03:04:01 PM »

Thought this might be interesting

Dark side of the moon redux -Roger Waters released Friday 6th October - CD and Vinyl

Roger Water's "Homage to the original"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #471 on: September 26, 2023, 03:12:33 PM »

Dark side of the moon redux -Roger Waters released Friday 6th October - CD and Vinyl

I'm genuinely too scared (scarred?) to listen to it Wink Grin

Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #472 on: September 26, 2023, 04:08:52 PM »

I've listened to Money so far.
It's not good (IMHO).
I have also downloaded Breathe and Time, but I have not yet plucked up the courage to listen to them.

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #473 on: September 26, 2023, 04:42:23 PM »

I've listened to two preview tracks. Rog does some of his... um... poetry over the top of slow, dull, plodding backing tracks. And then he does some "singing". He's tarnishing the Pink Floyd brand one song at a time. Awful.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #474 on: September 26, 2023, 06:09:29 PM »

The album that changed my life.

I bought it 20 times.

I saw Roger mime...I mean sing....his way through it in 2007, and The Wall a few years later.

I have no wish to hear this whatsoever.

Thank you for confirming my fears.

Well I never did..
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #475 on: September 27, 2023, 09:03:25 AM »

While I'm partial to a bit of Pink Floyd,  I'm happy never to hear Dark Side of the Moon (original album) again. I think this is partly because it was hard to ignore the album back in the day,  and I always found it a bit contrived and overblown anyway. So as regards a redux,  no.  Interesting that even keen Floyd fans aren't bothered 🤔 either.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #476 on: September 27, 2023, 09:10:31 AM »

While I'm partial to a bit of Pink Floyd,  I'm happy never to hear Dark Side of the Moon (original album) again. I think this is partly because it was hard to ignore the album back in the day,  and I always found it a bit contrived and overblown anyway. So as regards a redux,  no.  Interesting that even keen Floyd fans aren't bothered 🤔 either.
I havent got enough hands to count the number , on my fingers, of Floyd albums I prefer to DSOTM.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #477 on: September 27, 2023, 09:23:17 AM »

I havent got enough hands to count the number , on my fingers, of Floyd albums I prefer to DSOTM.

Yep...good point.  I saw a ridiculous list of Best PF albums the other day which had the Endless River above the first two.  And the Division Bell seems to now be regarded as a major Top 5 piece rather than a really rather average but ok afterburp.  I dunno...It takes all sorts... Grin

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #478 on: September 27, 2023, 09:59:16 AM »

In March 1973 I walked into Bonaparte Records in Croydon, the two hairy fellows behind the counter were staring wide-eyed and open mouthed at a record deck, where they were in the process of playing a record volume turned up to 11, eager for the next track to start playing . I was looking through the racks of records when suddenly Time played - all 3 of us jumped out of our skins,  not expecting to hear all the alarm clocks etc. I don't think I bought DSOTM that day but a few days later - early pressing with the posters and stuff. I have listened to it ever since.

I have has a listen to the few tracks of Roger's new offering and I doubt if I will buy it - not because I think its sacrilege to reimagine the album  (I absolutely love Easy Star All Stars Dub side of the moon) and not because I don't like Roger Waters stuff (Amused to Death is one of my favorite albums ever) - but it just didn't seem to work for me. Shame
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #479 on: September 27, 2023, 11:05:30 AM »

Yep...good point.  I saw a ridiculous list of Best PF albums the other day which had the Endless River above the first two.  And the Division Bell seems to now be regarded as a major Top 5 piece rather than a really rather average but ok afterburp.  I dunno...It takes all sorts... Grin
Endless River is just nothing. I wont ever listen to it after the first attempt.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: