TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:23:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming releases of interest  (Read 146324 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #440 on: July 11, 2023, 09:17:49 AM »

A 6 CD set  of Rare Bird's   whole catalogue.

From Cherry Red.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2023, 08:02:50 PM »

A 6 CD set  of Rare Bird's   whole catalogue.

From Cherry Red.

My sympathy

The Dude abides
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2023, 10:14:02 AM »

5 CD 3 DVD set of Broadsword And The Beast.

September 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiEqlESCXe0
Beat me to it!
Ordered via Burning Shed £59.99

Vinyl?  Only £150 Shocked Grin  World's gone mad.  

I'm not convinced it's a truly great Tull album though, is it?  I swear most people were so relieved it didn't sound like A they slightly overdid the affection for it?  Still, clearly better than anything that followed and so for that I understand the affection.  I was 15 when it came out and loads of my mates went bonkers for it...They're printing in such numbers now that, unlike the now silly money earlier releases you can almost certainly pick the box up cheaper after release than before.

It’s one of my favourites, and the huge amount of session tracks makes this a must have for me! In fact, the Broadsword sessions produced two of my favourite all time Tull tracks (Jack Frost and the hooded crow and Jack a Lynn, the latter a work in progress for several years). The Tull boxed sets are fantastic, with the accompanying books giving great insight into the process.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #443 on: July 28, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »

5 CD 3 DVD set of Broadsword And The Beast.

September 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiEqlESCXe0
Beat me to it!
Ordered via Burning Shed £59.99

Vinyl?  Only £150 Shocked Grin  World's gone mad.  

I'm not convinced it's a truly great Tull album though, is it?  I swear most people were so relieved it didn't sound like A they slightly overdid the affection for it?  Still, clearly better than anything that followed and so for that I understand the affection.  I was 15 when it came out and loads of my mates went bonkers for it...They're printing in such numbers now that, unlike the now silly money earlier releases you can almost certainly pick the box up cheaper after release than before.

It’s one of my favourites, and the huge amount of session tracks makes this a must have for me! In fact, the Broadsword sessions produced two of my favourite all time Tull tracks (Jack Frost and the hooded crow and Jack a Lynn, the latter a work in progress for several years). The Tull boxed sets are fantastic, with the accompanying books giving great insight into the process.

Is this the album that Peggy stated the outtakes were stronger than the released material ?

Well I never did..
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #444 on: July 28, 2023, 03:34:57 PM »

It is, and there are a lot of them! Something like 25+ tracks were recorded, and most that I’ve heard are great.  This boxed will also mark the first time that some of them have seen the light of day.
Paul B

« Reply #445 on: August 28, 2023, 08:42:01 AM »

Looks good for a comprehensive package of a very good band-especially as nearly all CDs hard to get-only issue is "do I need this much"?
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/brinsley-schwarz-thinking-back-the-anthology-1970-1975-7cd-box-set/
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #446 on: August 28, 2023, 09:19:56 AM »

Looks good for a comprehensive package of a very good band-especially as nearly all CDs hard to get-only issue is "do I need this much"?
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/brinsley-schwarz-thinking-back-the-anthology-1970-1975-7cd-box-set/

I don't have any Brinsley Schwarz but 7 CDs is too many. A compilation would be okay.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #447 on: August 28, 2023, 11:33:20 AM »

Have them all already, so I'll pass. If I hadn't already bought them though, this would be a very attractive proposition.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #448 on: August 29, 2023, 07:01:46 AM »

I note the "new" Who's Next / Lifehouse CD is, at least in content, far inferior to the 2003 Deluxe edition. Indeed, I'm puzzled why anyone would buy this, to be frank.

Amazon are doing their best to put the kibosh on the expanded Stackridge CDs by initially sending out the old ones and even when the new ones are correctly identified, still having the old ones as the download version. This seems to be being corrected, albeit one album at a time. Extravaganza's download version is still the old one, whilst the Man In The Bowler Hat download was corrected to the new version - after a week.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2023, 10:06:00 AM »

I note the "new" Who's Next / Lifehouse CD is, at least in content, far inferior to the 2003 Deluxe edition. Indeed, I'm puzzled why anyone would buy this, to be frank.

Amazon are doing their best to put the kibosh on the expanded Stackridge CDs by initially sending out the old ones and even when the new ones are correctly identified, still having the old ones as the download version. This seems to be being corrected, albeit one album at a time. Extravaganza's download version is still the old one, whilst the Man In The Bowler Hat download was corrected to the new version - after a week.

Thanks for pointing that out, Andy.  Unable to find physical copies anywhere locally, I was about to order the first 3 expanded albums from Amazon.  I shall go elsewhere. Cheers!

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #450 on: August 29, 2023, 10:06:32 AM »

It's the boxed set version where all the action is. I really want it. But not at that price.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #451 on: August 29, 2023, 05:07:28 PM »

It's the boxed set version where all the action is. I really want it. But not at that price.

Jules

Quite so. Instead Joni Mitchell will be getting my limited funds, albeit still not at the price that some retailers are charging.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #452 on: August 29, 2023, 08:22:20 PM »

Jules

I glanced at the publicity and did some checking around, and it appears to me that the San Francisco Civic Auditorium show from 1971 is the big get. I don't even have a bootleg of this concert, about which Who fans wax rhapsodic. I looked it up and noted that there were actually two shows on consecutive nights, with a longer setlist on one of the two nights. If they remain true to form, the compilers will select the lesser and shorter of the two shows. Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #453 on: September 01, 2023, 02:46:11 PM »

My 40th Anniversary Monster Edition of Broadsword and the Beast just arrived. Looking forward to exploring it, all 5 CDs of it (there's also 3 DVDs with the same audio in 5.1 etc).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #454 on: September 01, 2023, 07:31:37 PM »

I'm normally very against artists reworking previous albums.  But, just to be wildly inconsistent, I'm very excited about this... https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/peter-hammill-in-a-foreign-town-out-of-water-2023-2cd-edition/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #455 on: September 08, 2023, 09:23:28 AM »

Mr Zimmerman is at it again.
£165 for 4 CDs anyone?
https://badlands.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-complete-budokan-1978-4cd-box-set/

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #456 on: September 08, 2023, 09:32:30 AM »

£165 for 4 CDs anyone?

This really is scandalous thievery of the very worst kind.  £100 less would be too much.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #457 on: September 08, 2023, 09:39:24 AM »

£165 for 4 CDs anyone?

Angry

They're really going to try and bleed the last 500 people who still buy CDs.

Jules

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #458 on: September 08, 2023, 09:53:12 AM »

£165 for 4 CDs anyone?
Ridiculous!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #459 on: September 08, 2023, 09:58:38 AM »

£165 for 4 CDs anyone?

Angry

They're really going to try and bleed the last 500 people who still buy CDs.

Jules

I think you'd be surprised at the numbers of people buying 'archival' releases on CD, if not actual new releases.  If anybody wants to make money over the next decade or so, fill your boots from the charity shops who haven't yet caught on (more and more are) - the numbers of CDs I buy for 50p-£1.50 and sell for 5, 10, 20 times that.  CDs are like vinyl was in the 90s...it's a brilliant market with oodles of potential.  Fwiw, I think vinyl has started to burst.  New Stones album for £35?  And probably a sh1te pressing to boot?  Who wants to play that game?

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: