TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:04:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitarist's Forum  (Read 335181 times)
Leighton

Loc: Wigan UK

Proud Father and Daughter

« Reply #420 on: May 08, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »

I think Chairman and the Little man is something like...................but would accept any additions/removals.  Cry

(A) -(E) -(A) -(E) -(A) -(E) -(A) -(E) -

(A)Little man (E)work in the (A)rice fields (E)
Got a (A)brother in the (E)facto(F#)ry
(A)Called the Chairman on the (F)telephone line
(A)Invited him around for (D)tea,
For (G)tea, for (E)tea, for (A)tea, he in(D)vited him a(E)round for (A)tea. (E)- (A)

This dream I have that keeps me hanging on
When our letters get crossed in the mails
Is to wake up at home in the house on the shore
With you by my side in Wales
 by - Ralph McTell
Geoff

Loc: Wigan, Lancashire.

now it's come to talking, I don't have much to say

« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2006, 01:39:29 PM »

Is there anywhere that does finger transplants?  Mine aren't long enough!

Tried "Factory Girl" again yesterday, after hearing him play it at Southport - and remembered why I'd given it up originally!

I just can't reach that Em11 chord after the D at the start.

022005 ...it's that "5" that hurts!

Ferret Lady

« Reply #422 on: May 10, 2006, 06:48:54 PM »

I have also been playing Factory girl of late having abandoned it a year or so ago with the same problem.....BUT I can do it now so just keep on trying...and I've got girly hands so you've got no excuse! While I was playing it I also discovered a bit of Cat Stevens 'Moonshadow' creeping in -so I can now do a nice little intro on that!

You can do some finger exercises to get you into those stretches - I started learning classical guitar about a year ago and I'm sure it has helped with the fingering. If you are really serious try looking for a book on ebay called Playing Solo Guitar by Frederick Node .A friend gave me a copy from her attic and whilst not using it as a bible it has been a great help.
If you just want the exercises get back to me -should be great fun trying to describe those by email!

For anyone interested there is a copy of Songs for Six Strings Guitar music on ebay at the moment- and it's signed! Shame on you if the seller is reading this!!
jb

« Reply #423 on: May 10, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »

having discovered fom maj that there's a gap in my songbook collection, can anyone give a definitive list of whats been printed in the past and whats available now.

jb
Leighton

« Reply #424 on: May 10, 2006, 08:17:55 PM »

For anyone interested there is a copy of Songs for Six Strings Guitar music on ebay at the moment- and it's signed! Shame on you if the seller is reading this!!

Shame on him indeed, but if you look at it another way......................

Just imagine, if you will, someone who has been a fan of a musician for 30 odd years. How can he help the musician to sell his items ? He buys from the musicians official website, or maybe at a concert, so the musician gets the money directly. He sells them on ebay, which has, I believe, over a hundred million people looking at it, worldwide. Hopefully a fan or someone new to the musican's music will buy it, and become more interested in the musicians music, even buy CDs, even go and see him in concert, maybe tell his friends about the music. Sometimes he makes a profit. Sometimes he doesn't. The money he gets back buys something else from the musicians site. He then puts it on ebay, which has, I believe, over a hundred million people looking at it, worldwide.

He has a special copy of the book, along with all the cds, a DVD, a video, Albums, casettes, sometimes more than one of each, he keeps them for himself, ones that the musician has signed for him personally, when he went to see the musician in concert, on more than one occasion. I would guess that it would be a cold day in hell if you ever saw them on ebay.

He thinks he is helping the musician. He could be wrong because sometimes he does things without thinking.

Shame on him indeed.

Leighton
(aka songs2play)

by - Ralph McTell
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #425 on: May 10, 2006, 11:10:01 PM »

I just love your logic Leighton!  Are you on commission yet?  Grin

...and it's signed!

All the copies are signed.  I should imagine that Leighton's "special" signed copy is under lock and key.  When I have got Ralph to 'personalise' things (already signed or otherwise) they go in the safe.  Well, my study actually, but it's a bit of a McGrotto of McGoodies now.  Every single, LP, CD, DVD, video, book, tab book that I can lay my hands on is there.  There are very few gaps.  Oh, and did I mention the 14 ring binders full of info and over 3,000 pictures.

One of the gaps is a guitarist's thing, to bring myself back on topic... ish. Tongue  I am missing the Kicking Mule issue of Easy - the tablature book.  It has only appeared once on ebay since I have been seriously buying and that was snapped up by a non-guitarist! Angry 

Maj McSleuth
Leighton

« Reply #426 on: May 11, 2006, 07:56:23 AM »

Tried "Factory Girl" again yesterday, after hearing him play it at Southport - and remembered why I'd given it up originally!

I'm a great believer in "If you can't play the note, leave it out, and save it for another day".

02X005 - or is that cheating ?  Wink

by - Ralph McTell
Geoff

Loc: Wigan, Lancashire.

now it's come to talking, I don't have much to say

« Reply #427 on: May 11, 2006, 10:34:48 AM »

I'm a great believer in "If you can't play the note, leave it out, and save it for another day".

02X005 - or is that cheating ?  Wink

Hmmm.  I'll let you know at the Seven Stars tonight! Fortunately, no-one else there will notice any "cheating", so if I just make sure my guitar is facing away from you.... Cool

Gibson

Loc: West Yorkshire, UK

It's got to be a Gibson

« Reply #428 on: May 11, 2006, 12:25:31 PM »

Is it cheating to play something else if you can't manage the original?  Nah, just play something you can get your fingers round and call it your own personalised version.  I've got loads of them, That'll Do Babe, Blind Blakes Rag etc. etc.

Sounds a lot more impressive if you play 'your' version of something, rather than make mistakes on a direct copy.
 Cool   

You can't have too many guitars
Al

Loc: Reading

Take it easy

« Reply #429 on: May 11, 2006, 12:29:58 PM »

Is it cheating to play something else if you can't manage the original?  Nah, just play something you can get your fingers round and call it your own personalised version.  I've got loads of them, That'll Do Babe, Blind Blakes Rag etc. etc.

Sounds a lot more impressive if you play 'your' version of something, rather than make mistakes on a direct copy.
 Cool  

I'm right behind on you this !!  Grin
Al

Take it easy

« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2006, 12:36:08 PM »

One of the gaps is a guitarist's thing, to bring myself back on topic... ish. Tongue  I am missing the Kicking Mule issue of Easy - the tablature book.  It has only appeared once on ebay since I have been seriously buying and that was snapped up by a non-guitarist! Angry 

Maj McSleuth

Maj, gap in your collection about to be plugged - I have it, a bit dog-eared and cover-stained, it came all the way from Oz so the stains are most likely Fosters and/or some barbecue remnants ( a dripping of cooked Kangeroo steak fat perhaps )  but its in one piece  Grin Like all Kicking Mule tabs of the era its in black and white and ring bound.

IM with a snail mail address and its yours by postie  Grin

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #431 on: May 11, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »

Still waiting to get time to tab "Mermaid And The Seagull", whoever asked for it, been busy with work, kids, etc , but I will do it Roll Eyes
Baggy

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #432 on: May 11, 2006, 08:03:01 PM »

My preferred "cheat" on Factory Girl is to tune down a tone ( a la Yesterday) and then capo at 2 (or as necessary to match the recorded key) to reduce the stretch.

If i feel bad about this,  then I go on to do the "inverted thumb" rigmarole on Please Don't Haunt Me and I feel virtuous again. Have you ever seen anyone but Ralph attempt this on stage ? I first saw him do it at the Purcell Rooms for what became the Travelling Man cd.

Baggy
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #433 on: May 11, 2006, 11:28:34 PM »

Maj McSleuth

Maj, gap in your collection about to be plugged - I have it, a bit dog-eared and cover-stained, it came all the way from Oz so the stains are most likely Fosters and/or some barbecue remnants ( a dripping of cooked Kangeroo steak fat perhaps )  but its in one piece  Like all Kicking Mule tabs of the era its in black and white and ring bound.

IM with a snail mail address and its yours by postie 

Al !!!  Is that armour you are wearing upon that white steed you are riding?  I think SO.  I do, I do, I do.  Grin Kiss Grin

Maj McHappy
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #434 on: May 12, 2006, 12:17:47 AM »

...a definitive list of whats been printed in the past and whats available now

Ralph McTell - 1972 - 'YWM' pic on cover - songs from 8FAS, SS, MSOYW and YWMBMH.

Easy - KM - USA - songs from Easy

Streets...  1975 - 'Streets...' pic on cover - songs from NTT, Easy and Streets...

The Guitar and Songs of Ralph McTell - 1984 - wide selection.

Alphabet Zoo - 1984 - piano arrangements.

Blue Skies Black Heroes - tab by Roger Brown plus MIDI files on floppy disk.

Stealin' Back - ditto.

Songs for Six Strings - 2002 - tab by Roger Brown - as definitive as it gets.

See Ralph's web shop for current availability.  Otherwise keep looking at eBay.

MAJ says: I've removed the ? for Alpabet Zoo.  It was indeed 1984.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 12:23:29 AM by MAJ » Logged

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Al

Take it easy

« Reply #435 on: May 12, 2006, 09:04:17 AM »

[Al !!!  Is that armour you are wearing upon that white steed you are riding?  I think SO.  I do, I do, I do.  Grin Kiss Grin

Maj McHappy

Whenever I can figure out how to get this steed to stop and the visa on my armour to open, I shall stop at yonder post office and despatcheth it ( how Shakespaherian  Grin )

Grin

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #436 on: May 12, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »

My preferred "cheat" on Factory Girl is to tune down a tone ( a la Yesterday) and then capo at 2 (or as necessary to match the recorded key) to reduce the stretch.

If i feel bad about this,  then I go on to do the "inverted thumb" rigmarole on Please Don't Haunt Me and I feel virtuous again. Have you ever seen anyone but Ralph attempt this on stage ? I first saw him do it at the Purcell Rooms for what became the Travelling Man cd.

Baggy

Yes me, probably  Grin
jb

« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »

needed to complete collection

anyone out there have a spare copy or know where i  might find one of these other than ebay

Ralph McTell - 1972 -tab book 'YWM' pic on cover - songs from 8FAS, SS, MSOYW and YWMBMH.

jb
jb

« Reply #438 on: May 12, 2006, 10:56:17 AM »

al
it was me who needed help with mermaid, in particular the intro and first section somewhere around frets 5 and 7 any help you can give would be appreciated

jb
Al

Take it easy

« Reply #439 on: May 12, 2006, 11:42:17 AM »

Hi, yes, I should be able to find time this weekend, it wont take long :-) R u ok with all the other bits or is it just the beginning ?
 The book you are missing isn't a tab book, unfortunately, but t least the chords are accurate for once. I only got my copy in the last year or so off Ebay, they keep cropping up so keep a look out for one.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: