TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:33:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitarist's Forum  (Read 335127 times)
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #400 on: February 15, 2006, 07:29:16 PM »

I may know my onions, but as an acoustic guitarist I'm really only passable. Having said that a mate of mine has always said I'm a very good acoustic guitarist, though really Its my feel & sense of rhythm which are my strengths with most instruments tbh.

Generally I can't afford Lowdens, Martins & Taylores (even though I now own a Taylor), so I wouldn't presume to try an instrument that expensive out unless I was quite keen to buy & I enjoy gassing out on new guitars, basses etc.

I'm quite concious about trying not to unduly waste their time on the stands.

I know what you mean.  I don't timewaste as such - I test the guitar and buy it on my next trip to the states, so the cash ends up in BobTaylor's pocket one way or another. What Taylor do you have?  I have a 410CE and a 712CE.

David

David

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #401 on: February 15, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »

You know I can't remember, which model number it is. Its not overly expensive for one of theirs, I just liked the feel of it & the price.

Though my local emporium keeps trying to tempt me with equally as lovely instruments.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Martin K

« Reply #402 on: February 15, 2006, 07:42:10 PM »

Hi,

At Christmas I wsnt out searching for a really good guitar . I tried Martins, taylors and new style Gibsons and even a Fylde. I ended up purchasing an Avalon.,
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #403 on: February 15, 2006, 07:43:17 PM »

Another good one I tried after getting my Taylor...

Yep really nice  Cool

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Martin K

« Reply #404 on: February 15, 2006, 07:47:31 PM »

Oooops hadn't finished....... The Avalon is a fantastic professional guitar (as played by Eric Roche- with great base response (for all those Ralph base lines) and fanstastic mid range and treble. It has a cedar top -realy mellow sound and fantastic volume.

Try one out asap! You will be amazed

Regards, Martin K
ragtime

throw out a line and dream

« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2006, 12:11:07 AM »

I got a lovely Taylor at the last Acoustic avalon show. It was massively reduced compared to list rpices, although still an expenisive buy compared to my pocket. But I don't regret it. It's a special edition 310 - LE made out of curly maple. It has matured and mellowed in sound amazingly quickly and has a very clear and rich tone.

Chris (Ragtime)
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2006, 06:25:14 PM »

Will be on the look out for Allan Taylor - have never seen him in my neck of the woods -next time you see him ask him to visit Worcestershire!!!
Meanwhile I will 'google' him!

Susan

Allan's website - www.allantaylor.com

Quid pro quo, errm, why "Ferret Lady"HuhHuhHuh

David

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Ferret Lady

« Reply #407 on: February 17, 2006, 03:10:32 PM »

David
Why Ferret Lady - it's quite a long( and probably very boring) story ....and obviously nothing to do with guitars!(although my hubbie does say that I can fit ferrets into every topic of conversation so there must be a link somewhere!) Well since you ask...
I inherited some pet ferrets from my son who had become disinterested in them as kids tend to with pets and was in the vets waiting room one day when the receptionist called 'who's next?'There was a unanimous call of 'the ferret lady' -obviously they wanted me out of the room first(could have been something to do with my fragrent furry friends!) I'd coveted many a name in my time but never this one - it seemed only one step removed from 'bag lady'  - and not really in keeping with the image I would like for myself!! Anyway I've told the story enough times for it to have become a nickname and as I am very fond of my ferrets(they make gorgeous pets) it's grown on me!
Asleep yet?!!!

Thanks for the Allan Taylor website - I can see I've got some catching up to do - the album I remember was his first!!
bigalwhittle

« Reply #408 on: February 24, 2006, 06:44:19 AM »

anybody know about any other guitar trade shows - I wouldn't mind going to a few more.
jb

« Reply #409 on: May 04, 2006, 09:11:24 PM »

hello everybody
can anyone out there help me with the tab for "the mermaid and the seagull". i've believe it's built around D with dropped D tuning but have got stuck and need a bit of help
thanks
jb
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #410 on: May 04, 2006, 09:15:18 PM »

Evenin' jb.  Welcome.

The songbook says this about Mermaid at the beginning of it: "Tune bass string to D, then capo 1st fret."  It's not tabbed as such but shows the chords above the melody.  IM me if you want further info. Wink Lips Sealed Wink

Now then, tell us a bit more about yourself and stay and join in the general chaos here!

Maj
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:44:17 PM by MAJ » Logged
jb

« Reply #411 on: May 04, 2006, 09:27:33 PM »

maj
which songbook are you refering to as i thought i had them all ?
jb
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Little Birdie

« Reply #412 on: May 04, 2006, 09:30:12 PM »

maj
which songbook are you refering to as i thought i had them all ?
jb

This one:

[attachment deleted by admin]
jb

« Reply #413 on: May 04, 2006, 09:51:58 PM »

maj
you asked about me
i saw ralph on tv back in the 70's i think it was ogwt. i was 13 at the time and thought wow i want to play like that. i saved up £20 from a saturday job and brought my first guitar. i have been practising ever since and still have a long way to go
my guitar has improved to a rather nice lowden though.
your songbook reply went straight over my head and i've never used IM can you send more onfo over this message board
jb

Edit: MAJ says: jb, have a wander round the new members section and About This Board etc.  You will not see IM buttons as you are classed an Anonymous member at present (due to your ISP).  Sorry I had forgotten about that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:37:03 PM by MAJ » Logged
jb

« Reply #414 on: May 04, 2006, 10:13:33 PM »

another song i'd love the tab for is "the chairman and the little man" if anyone can help me i'd be very greatfull
jb
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Little Birdie

« Reply #415 on: May 04, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »

Can't help with this one I'm afraid.... Undecided
Leighton

Loc: Wigan UK

Proud Father and Daughter

« Reply #416 on: May 05, 2006, 10:36:44 AM »

hello everybody
can anyone out there help me with the tab for "the mermaid and the seagull". i've believe it's built around D with dropped D tuning but have got stuck and need a bit of help
thanks
jb

This might help a little. As you say drop the bass to D and "play around with the following chords up on the fifth fret (i've put some chord shapes at the bottom of this thread hope you can see them.). Follow on with an Emin and A7th etc.. The D with the falling bass line works well, and Ralph uses something similar in UP. there is also a sequence where only the first string is played on fret 2 3 5 7 and 9.

Hope this makes sense, as I'm working from memory ?

I'll have a scout out for Chairman and The Little Man, and see what I've got, but I'm sure someone in here has the chords somewhere.

This dream I have that keeps me hanging on
When our letters get crossed in the mails
Is to wake up at home in the house on the shore
With you by my side in Wales
 by - Ralph McTell
Al

Loc: Reading

Take it easy

« Reply #417 on: May 05, 2006, 11:16:21 AM »

I have been playing around with "Mermaid And The Seagull" the last week or two - can't think why  Wink If I get chance in the next week or so I'll tab it out and post it, Leighton's help is good, certainly for the first bit  Smiley I have been playing around with "River Rising" too and have got it all except the run around the "and you and I" bit so if anyone knows, gimme the info  Grin
jb

« Reply #418 on: May 05, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »

thanks for all your help, what a friendly bunch you are

maj
i must have a gap in my collection i don't have the book you mention, whats it called and where can i get it?
jb
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #419 on: May 05, 2006, 03:27:30 PM »

Hi, jb.  John B here!  It's just called "Ralph McTell" and was published in 1972.  The cover photo is from "You Well-Meaning Brought Me Here".  It crops up on eBay from time to time.  If you find one and it has my name on the cover, please let me know...!!

Happy hunting - and playing.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: