TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:59:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitarist's Forum  (Read 335204 times)
Shrimper

Loc: Clacton on Sea, Essex

« Reply #380 on: February 04, 2006, 08:09:12 PM »

On the subject of favourite Ralph McTell songs to play, I like Tequila Sunset (just coz it`s a pretty tune) and Maginot Waltz (superb chord sequence).

I like to have a crack at all the 3/4 stuff (my finger picking is limited to a "3 finger roll").
Al

Loc: Reading

Take it easy

« Reply #381 on: February 06, 2006, 12:44:41 PM »

I've been rediscovering "Hands Of Joseph" recently, hours of fun. Joseph Spence's "Great Dreams From Heaven" has been one of my favourite playing pieces for years and years, since long before I heard Ralphy do it in fact. But I was listening to "Water Of Dreams" and thought I hadn't played "Hands Of Joseph" for a long long time and am really enjoying it :-)

bigalwhittle

« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2006, 01:11:02 AM »

God I love yamahas!

anyone else see Ralph on the Bert Jansch concert BBC4 last night?

two yamahas - my cup runneth over....!

all the best

al
Curt

Loc: Forest Hill, SE London, England

« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2006, 09:43:29 AM »

THUMB PICKS
Why?  Everyone uses them, even the almighty Bert and Ralph, but I cant get used them - its not that they are uncomfortable but compared to the thum I find you have no control, they don't sit with my right hand position and they make the bass boom in an unbalanced fashion: Is there a secret I am missing.  The only good thing about them, it seems to me, is that you can use them to rake. 
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »

THUMB PICKS
Why?  Everyone uses them, even the almighty Bert and Ralph, but I cant get used them - its not that they are uncomfortable but compared to the thum I find you have no control, they don't sit with my right hand position and they make the bass boom in an unbalanced fashion: Is there a secret I am missing.  The only good thing about them, it seems to me, is that you can use them to rake. 

Me too Curt.  I've tried for years but it still feels weird.  Anyway, thumbs are organic and picks are plastic. Grin

You use the nails on your fingers for picking but I always use the ball of my thumb rather than the nail.  Assume that's what other non-thumb pick users do, but I've never actually thought about it before.

I play a lot in dropped D and I've found that's where the pick is less flexible - doing bass runs and solos.

David

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Ferret Lady

« Reply #385 on: February 13, 2006, 01:22:36 PM »

Does anyone play red and gold? I would love to play it but am not good enough to work it out and it's not in any of my books.
also am about to upgrade from my first guitar to something better- any recommendations?i know Ralph likes Yamahas so am tempted but can't find any big stockists near me and everyone I talk to seems to have a different opinion. What do you guys recommend for a real 'Ralph sound 'especially on the blues and ragtime stuff?
Cheers
bigalwhittle

« Reply #386 on: February 13, 2006, 01:45:03 PM »

I suppose Ralph has been my biggest influence. Unamplified you are best going for a classic guitar - a Martin, Gibson, or maybe even a Lowden.

However amplified is where the fun starts.
Currently I play two guitars from Yamaha cpx range - the cpx8 and the cpx15cm. Bothof them have an internal mic.  plus a piezo system.
the 8 has  a smooth creamy sound great for those low D's on 'the setting'.
The cedar top on the 15 is punchier for those ragtime things.

I send it straight through a MXR graphic eq to cut out any nonsense from the PA, through the Yamha acoustic stomp which has REALLY nice sounds aboard - nicer than Raplh's actually! and monitor through a 60watt AER combo.

well that's what I think....others may question my wisdom on these points - they usually do!

all the best

al
david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #387 on: February 13, 2006, 03:15:02 PM »

Does anyone play red and gold? I would love to play it but am not good enough to work it out and it's not in any of my books.

I play it in dropped D and drift in and out of D/Bm combinations, and there's a lot of A in it too. Start with the D and it all becomes quite simple - if you think of the dozens of Ralph toons in that tuning you can't go wrong.

Re guitars - in the past couple of years I've moved across to Taylors and now have two - a 410CE and a 712CE - both easy to play and with that rich tone pallette you get in all Taylors, and both also have the Expression sound system.  They sound very good played relatively flat through an amp.  I also have an AER60.  When it comes to controlled volume in a hard strum, however, my trusty Takamine EAN16CX is still the best, although these days it lives permanently in DADGAD.  Depends on your budget.  I've always coveted a Lowden, but have never found one at a bargain price - I buy my Taylors in the US.

David

- STILL MY CITY
bigalwhittle

« Reply #388 on: February 13, 2006, 03:52:01 PM »

the late Eric roche favoured Lowdens and more latterly Avalons.  i never figured out his method of amplifying.  It involved an XLR socket coming out of the side of his guitar and a jack.  I don't think I would have the nerve to spend the two grand on a Lowden and then make that sized hole in the side!

Alan Taylor sometimes sounds great.  I saw him do THE pokey Hole in Netherfield and the sound was amazing.  When he did the Fishponds at Matlock - it wasn't half as good.  I suppose ultimately that shows the wisdom of Ralph's tactic of employing a soundman who understands your specific needs and has set your sound up in a variety of venues.

it's part of  what makes a Ralph McTell ticket an excellent investment.
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »

THUMB PICKS

To be honest, it really does take practice, I've been playing guitar for more years than I care to mention & it was only a coupple of years ago I could get thumb & finger picks to meld in with either fingers or additional finger picks.

All said & done I prefer the sound unadorned fingers make a'la Knophler unless its for country music & even then a brass techpic is better still imho.

Horses for corses, go with what you are comfortable with dude  Cool

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Ferret Lady

« Reply #390 on: February 14, 2006, 11:03:35 AM »

Thanks al and david for your comments - I guess I'll just spend a few days in a shop playing and go for the best within the budget-I don't use amplification so maybe I'll look at some Taylors,Gibson and Martins and trust the ear!!! My favourite 'Ralph' for playing is the setting so I will maybe just listen to the base before narrowing the choice down which I believe is a Ralph tip I read somewhere. Don't think the budget will stretch to a trip to America for a Taylor or indeed a Lowden- but who knows somewhere in the future!
Will also have another bash at red and gold with your instructions -thanks
Susan
PS Is that the same Alan Taylorthat sang about Robin Hood and a sparrow(not in the same song!)- a distant memory from an older sisters record collection - always wondered where he went?!
Taliesin

« Reply #391 on: February 14, 2006, 11:07:09 AM »

Also keep your eyes open for Simon & Patrick & Seagull guitars, very nice tone, which generally wont break the bank.

david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #392 on: February 14, 2006, 01:44:48 PM »

PS Is that the same Alan Taylorthat sang about Robin Hood and a sparrow(not in the same song!)- a distant memory from an older sisters record collection - always wondered where he went?!

Allan Taylor is still around and still making great music.  Charismatic and easy performer with a definitely European sensibility, do go and see him.

I've replicated most of his 70s stuff on CD and the more recent stuff is tremendous.  Try Hotels and Dreamers, his most recent.  He's become a big influence on my writing and guitar playing in the last few years.

And he swears by Martins - he spent an afternoon trying, almost successfully, to persuade me to change my allegiance to Taylors!

Lovely man.

David

- STILL MY CITY
Ferret Lady

« Reply #393 on: February 14, 2006, 03:56:07 PM »

Will be on the look out for Allan Taylor - have never seen him in my neck of the woods -next time you see him ask him to visit Worcestershire!!!
Meanwhile I will 'google' him!
bigalwhittle

« Reply #394 on: February 15, 2006, 12:14:11 PM »

a good idea (I think) is to go to a guitar trade show.

the best acoustic one in the midlands is acoustic avalon at Leicester race course in November.  Ralph did a gig there this year for yamaha.

there are numerous advantages.  you can talk to the top players who demonstrate the goods, and they don't pull their punches. also you can try a bigger variety than are in any shop.  also you can get the catalogues of all the top makers and browse through what their range is and then look for them coming up on e bay or try for a deal there and then.  I believe there is a trade show coming up in Gateshead, or somwhere in the north east - google guitar trade shows - keep an eye out in magazines like acoustic guitar.

if you get a deal at travel lodge or some such, you could save that much on the deal you get from the guitar company over a local shop.

anyway its a suggestion.
david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #395 on: February 15, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »

a good idea (I think) is to go to a guitar trade show.

the best acoustic one in the midlands is acoustic avalon at Leicester race course in November.  Ralph did a gig there this year for yamaha.

there are numerous advantages.  you can talk to the top players who demonstrate the goods, and they don't pull their punches. also you can try a bigger variety than are in any shop.  also you can get the catalogues of all the top makers and browse through what their range is and then look for them coming up on e bay or try for a deal there and then.  I believe there is a trade show coming up in Gateshead, or somwhere in the north east - google guitar trade shows - keep an eye out in magazines like acoustic guitar.

if you get a deal at travel lodge or some such, you could save that much on the deal you get from the guitar company over a local shop.

anyway its a suggestion.

I go to Music Live at the NEC every year, also in November.  Again you get demo players, but the emphasis if anything is on electric guitars.  However, some of the big manufacturers like Taylor, Takamine and Yamaha usually exhibit, and last year for the first time Martin were there under their own steam, and I managed to play a few in the acoustic rooms that they reserve.  Heavy discounting is available too if you buy at the show. 

I keep saying I'll get to Leicester, but the shows are only a week apart and the NEC has become a traditional boys' treat.

However, a good day out if nothing else.

- STILL MY CITY
Ferret Lady

« Reply #396 on: February 15, 2006, 03:45:11 PM »

Good advice - thanks
Have been to the NEC one a few years ago - sister lives 'up north' so may check out the gateshead one.
Taliesin

« Reply #397 on: February 15, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »

The Music Live event at the NEC also caters for Drums, classical, woodwind, & brass these days, not to mention Drums & DJ equipment etc. Oh & all sorts of PC related music stuff.

Their are some good acoustic stands, but really the amount of din going on its difficult enough trying to demo an electric guitar or bass let alone an acoustic. The 2005 show was extremely disapointing with many major players like Marshall not even bothering to attend, but its always worth a visit just for the atmosphere & the live music through out the weekend.

Got to see Jerry Donahue in 2005 again, which was worth my entry fee alone.

david stevenson
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #398 on: February 15, 2006, 05:27:48 PM »

The Music Live event at the NEC also caters for Drums, classical, woodwind, & brass these days, not to mention Drums & DJ equipment etc. Oh & all sorts of PC related music stuff.

Their are some good acoustic stands, but really the amount of din going on its difficult enough trying to demo an electric guitar or bass let alone an acoustic. The 2005 show was extremely disapointing with many major players like Marshall not even bothering to attend, but its always worth a visit just for the atmosphere & the live music through out the weekend.

Got to see Jerry Donahue in 2005 again, which was worth my entry fee alone.

You're right about the racket, Taliesin, but if you show that you know about guitars and can play a bit, they'll usually let you into their quiet room. I've played Lowdens, Martins and Taylors to my heart's content over the years.

And I agree - Jerry Donahue was worth the price of admission on his own.

David

- STILL MY CITY
Taliesin

« Reply #399 on: February 15, 2006, 07:24:33 PM »

I may know my onions, on some product knowledge etc,  but as an acoustic guitarist I'm really only passable. Having said that a mate of mine has always said I'm a very good acoustic guitarist, though really Its my feel & sense of rhythm which are my strengths with most instruments tbh.

Generally I can't afford Lowdens, Martins & Taylores (even though I now own a Taylor), so I wouldn't presume to try an instrument that expensive out unless I was quite keen to buy & I enjoy gassing out on new guitars, basses etc.

I'm quite concious about trying not to unduly waste their time on the stands.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: