TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comments about Fairport in general at the moment  (Read 6160 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« on: February 20, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »

I have been reading the "blogs" on Fairports website and there are some nasty comments  >:(about Fairport and I was just wondering what everyone else thought of these.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »

Crumbs, I've only just seen these! I don't know that I would describe them as "nasty" though. Just constructive criticism perhaps?

I admit that I thought it was a tad loud - and also that I miss material like "John Gaudie" - always a favourite of mine. But we have to accept that FC are moving on and surely it's understandable that the new CD is going to be "plugged" pretty thoroughly over this tour and at Cropredy?

In any case Fairport have broad shoulders - I don't think it's gonna hurt too much. And we know from experience that they listen to their critics, detractors and fans alike, and take all comments on board. Which is gratifying. It shows that they recognise that our opinions matter.

Show of Hands WERE absolutely stunning on the night, no question. I think that sometimes our "love" of a band can cloud our judgement and stop us saying anything other than "that was fantastic" when perhaps, in fact, we felt that it wasn't actually up to the standard we expected.

It's a tough call for any band, not just Fairport, to get "it" absolutely right. And of course, they never will because that is the nature of the beast. Happily Fairport recognise this fact and get on with it anyway!

That's not dirt, it's patination!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:47:27 PM »

Where are these blogs, then?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »

they're not really blogs, thats why I but it in "". they are really just replies to news items

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »

Check the comments under each news item.....

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:01:56 PM »

Ok - have now read some of the comments on the tour and Birmingham in particular - nothing too shocking there is there?  I don't think Fairport will change what they do just because someone walks out of the Yeovil gig at half-time will they? However much they might want them to...  My feeling on constructive criticism is that we only make it because we care....Speaking personally, I genuinely do not get a vast amount of satisfaction from the current line-up (live, and especially on disc), but I still rate Fairport as my favourite English band of all time...I'm still a fan, and I still love them all to bits...always have done, always will...  Onwards and upwards.

Oh yes, and visually aside...the more I use the website the more I genuinely feel like it is exceedingly amateurishly put together.  Far too many clicks needed to get anywhere.  It's awful.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »

I have been reading the "blogs" on Fairports website and there are some nasty comments  >:(about Fairport and I was just wondering what everyone else thought of these.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion to be honest  Wink

Happy mainly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: