TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:44:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Julianne Regan  (Read 25820 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »

Why do we assume that - if its the music business - someone aged in their 40s still wants to do the same job they did when they were 20.

I hope that Julianne is leading a full and happy life dipping her toe in and out of music as and when she wants to.

DW
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »

Why do we assume that - if its the music business - someone aged in their 40s still wants to do the same job they did when they were 20.
I don't know David, but it seems to me to be as valid an assumption as the one you seem to be making ... unless you have some inside information of course  Smiley.

While reading through the thread, I was feeling curious about it myself and if Jules hadn't asked I probably would have in the hopes that if she had made the reasons public someone would have pointed us at those reasons, and if not, a simple "we don't know, she hasn't shared her reasons" would definitely have sufficed. Instead, Jules gets pilloried for asking a simple question, and your response seems to be piling on (unless I'm reading too much into it - if so I take it back).
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »

I sometimes wonder if people put these threads up to see if I'm still awake - yep, I'm here!!  And sure enough, I can mention there's a nice photo of Julianne Regan on page 87 of 'Festival Folk' from her performance at Cropredy in 2000

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »

I thought that her appearances in the 'Sandy spot' in the 90's were the best of the various ladies (until Chris While took over recently, that is)

For a while I received an AAE fanzine. It seems to me that the band members went their own ways and Julianne realised that the creative moments and chemistry of it all had passed. Best quit while the party is swinging than become the Freddy & the Dreamers of the genre. Remember Simon or Peggy saying that about FC years ago.

Retirement should never be considered a bad thing (see the Bob Johnson thread elsewhere on here).

Let us wish her well, enjoy the memories and the live at Cropredy tracks.  Smiley
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 08:45:16 AM »

Instead, Jules gets pilloried for asking a simple question

Was I being pilloried?  I thought I felt a small twinge.

Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »

I'm sure I remember Julianne Regan doing WKWTTG on the Friday night in 1992. Didn't she do the Friday night with the (then) current band (+CL depping for Ric) and then Vikki Clayton appeared on the Saturday night with the Leige and Leif line up? Or was it the other way round??

Good version of More Than The Blues on the 25th anniversary CD.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »

I thought that her appearances in the 'Sandy spot' in the 90's were the best of the various ladies (until Chris While took over recently, that is)

For a while I received an AAE fanzine. It seems to me that the band members went their own ways and Julianne realised that the creative moments and chemistry of it all had passed. Best quit while the party is swinging than become the Freddy & the Dreamers of the genre. Remember Simon or Peggy saying that about FC years ago.

Retirement should never be considered a bad thing (see the Bob Johnson thread elsewhere on here).

Let us wish her well, enjoy the memories and the live at Cropredy tracks.  Smiley

If you read her myspace page (or listen to Jude talking about her new album), she is far from retired from music..she just doesn't get her kicks playing live any more.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »

And which year was it, when she had a brilliant gig with annA rydeR at the Mill, the night before the festival?
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »

I think Julianne told us of her feelings about performing live amongst other things when she was our guest here on talkawhile.
http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=16695.0

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »

Instead, Jules gets pilloried for asking a simple question

Was I being pilloried?  I thought I felt a small twinge.

Grin

Jules

soory jules, and everyone else, for starting this row, it's just, as tasha says, julianne has made her position quite clear - i am really a massive fan and would also love to see her live again, but (as i said in the first instance) *because* i love AAE so much, i feel like i want to protect her from that

abby x

it'll be fine.......
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »

This is what she did (I'm sure!):

1989 - The Lady, Who Knows Where The Time Goes? (Plus full All About Eve set)

1990 - After Halloween, I'm A Dreamer

1991 - One Way Donkey Ride, Blackwaterside

1992 - Flowers In Our Hair, More Than The Blues.

J

I went to the 1992 cropredy and was sure she sang "Who Knows where the times goes?"

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »

I think Julianne told us of her feelings about performing live amongst other things when she was our guest here on talkawhile.
http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=16695.0
Thanks Tasha. I had not realized she had done a guest spot here. Now that I'm looking, I see a few more guests I missed out on. Looks like I have quite a bit of reading ahead of me.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »

This is what she did (I'm sure!):

1989 - The Lady, Who Knows Where The Time Goes? (Plus full All About Eve set)

1990 - After Halloween, I'm A Dreamer

1991 - One Way Donkey Ride, Blackwaterside

1992 - Flowers In Our Hair, More Than The Blues.

J

I went to the 1992 cropredy and was sure she sang "Who Knows where the times goes?"

She did, a recording of which is on A Box of Peggs.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 07:51:50 PM »

The show she did at the Mill was amazing - a couple of songs which (I think) were only ever performed once and never officially recorded. Happy days indeed, and a wonderful singer... Grin
Homer-Simpson-8
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »

I had the great fortune to see AAE at Cropredy in the early 1990s, and  then their slimmed-down version supporting Fairport more recently.  Marvellous.
Speaking of Marvellous, there`s a really excellent DVD of AAE available performing live on Rockpalast, the German TV show, recorded on the Farewell Mr Sorrow tour.  Highly recommended.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »

The show she did at the Mill was amazing - a couple of songs which (I think) were only ever performed once and never officially recorded. Happy days indeed, and a wonderful singer... Grin

With an emphasis on the officially.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 08:29:57 AM »

With an emphasis on the officially.

Grin  Wink Grin
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 09:47:03 AM »

She is a great singer, and for me personally in my late teens she was a great link between Fairport and the then current music scene.

People should seek out AAE's last album before the first split in 1992, "Ultraviolet", which was fantastic.

J
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

what a pity they'll only ever be remembered for the cock up on totp

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

what a pity they'll only ever be remembered for the cock up on totp

Which was...?  (I obviously don't remember it!)

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: