TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:35:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Autumn Dates  (Read 71929 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2005, 12:53:05 PM »

Interesting press cutting from their local rag here!

I must have missed reading this, earlier. I thought it was fascinating but I suppose only from a historic point of view and, of course, being a local paper to Muswell Hill area they would of course dwell on the relevance to that local area. That'll be a shame if old Fairport gets bulldozed (if I read that aright) It should have a blue plaque I reckon, just for a giggle!

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2005, 12:57:02 PM »

Interesting press cutting from their local rag here!

I must have missed reading this, earlier. I thought it was fascinating but I suppose only from a historic point of view and, of course, being a local paper to Muswell Hill area they would of course dwell on the relevance to that local area. That'll be a shame if old Fairport gets bulldozed (if I read that aright) It should have a blue plaque I reckon, just for a giggle!

Jude
Shall we start a "blue plaque for Fairport" campaign?  Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2005, 01:09:58 PM »

Cover of the next album. . .The band standing in front of the old house as the bulldozers move in (as in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2005, 01:34:19 PM »

Cover of the next album. . .The band standing in front of the old house as the bulldozers move in (as in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)
Good shout PLW.  Hope it never gets to the point where the bulldozers do move in.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2005, 01:38:39 PM »

Should we all club together and buy it???

AmyJen Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2005, 02:13:41 PM »

C'mon all you Photoshop experts, get to work on PLW's idea!!!!  Grin

Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2005, 10:06:24 PM »

Looks like the Mansfield one is about the clossest to me & I'm actually off work. God, but I hate Mansfield though Undecided

Oi Taliesin...  can you tell us why you hate Mansfield please...

I'll see you there.....

AmyJenwholivesafewmileseastofMansfieldbutwasn'tbornthere Wink

Its something I really can't put a finger on, I suppose its more th indescript journey from my own dreary town, at least Mansfields outlook onto the sourounding country is nice & a mere stepping stone into the Peak District. I really have a dislike for most Metropolitan areas, there are very few towns I can visit gladly.

But that's by the by. Actually the thought of combining an evening gig with the prospect of airing my walking boots in the crisp early autumn weather does have its appeal.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2005, 09:41:15 AM »

Anyone going to the 100 club gig in November? My tix ordered. See you at the bar  Fez

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »

Should be there.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2005, 10:29:05 AM »

Reports elsewhere indicate that Vo Fletcher played in place of Peggy last night, with nowt said. I suppose he's ill, any info out there?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2005, 10:34:09 AM »

Only what you've seen, Andy. I guess he's still on sebbatical.

Kris

Mandolin owner...

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2005, 01:37:09 PM »

Anyone going to the 100 club gig in November? My tix ordered. See you at the bar  Fez

It's 3 days after my birthday... you WILL see me at the bar  Grin

You will also find me at the bar in the Fat Surfer in Grays the night before... a 4-day birthday / Fairport binge!!!!! Grin Grin

(Edited to throw in the birthday - buy me a beer hint again.....)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2005, 03:35:48 PM »

Reports elsewhere indicate that Vo Fletcher played in place of Peggy last night, with nowt said. I suppose he's ill, any info out there?
#

I saw this report also Andy and it does beggar the question as to why, if Peggy is not on the current set of gigs, has no announcement been made.

If, as I know from friends of mine in the past, someone has bought a ticket to see FC because of Peggy being there, maybe Tullfanatics for example, and on arrival they find Vo (fine musician no disrespect) standing in they could rightly feel a little upset.

I don't care who plays bass frankly, Ashley, Maart, Peggy or Vo would all be great IMHO, but as a band who frequently comment on their close relationship to fans, I think an anouncement as to the line up for atour would only be polite.

Jackdaw
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »

I don't care who plays bass frankly, Ashley, Maart, Peggy or Vo would all be great IMHO, but as a band who frequently comment on their close relationship to fans, I think an anouncement as to the line up for atour would only be polite.
Jackdaw

Then I think you probably do care.  Smiley

Polite, maybe. But not necessary, in my book. Just because we love 'em, doesn't mean we own 'em.

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2005, 07:43:06 PM »

Well - we have the chaps here in Grolloo tomorrow (7th) and officially all I know is that Dave Pegg is on bass, and that's what's on our press release and that's what some people, I assume, come to expect. Still it's really up to the band to announce it or not ... but in these internet days it's not as if it stays a secret very long (as we see now!). I don't know why they haven't gone public with this - if only so that our press releases would be correct!
In the end though - at least I don't have to be surprised tomorrow. And I wish Vo all the best of luck and at least we'll get to see a very special line up. And I hope people understand.

Koen
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2005, 09:40:52 PM »

I'm sure no-one here wants to gossip as such. I am curious as to the Grolo line-up. Do let us know how the evening goes.

And a set list, please. That would be most welcome.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2005, 09:53:37 PM »

Yes please, Koen - a set-list would be extremely welcome.

The line-up is GC, RS, CL, VF & SN.

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2005, 09:57:22 PM »

The report on the FC mailing list from Reinhard Kox ended with
"According to me, a really rocking show, with the band in top form and obviously in a good mood"
So that's really positive. And if Vo Fletcher is the permanent bass player on this whole tour, I'm sure the bass job is in capable hands, for he's a top musician.
Set lists ... well it's not up to me, because I'd hate keeping notes at a gig. But who knows I may be able to lay my hands on a set list at the end, and if so I'll report it.
Wish us luck, ticket sales right now are still on the fairly depressing side but let's think positive! Come All Ye Dutch (or even German) Talkawhilers, make a trek to Grolloo ;-)

Koen
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2005, 10:02:14 PM »

Jackdaw

Then I think you probably do care.  Smiley

Polite, maybe. But not necessary, in my book. Just because we love 'em, doesn't mean we own 'em.

Hmm, I hear what you say Anji and I agree we don't own them but I do think they owe their fans.
I've got a ticket to see the guys next month and whilst I didn't order it on the strength of Peggy playing  I think I'm entitled to expect him to be there when the gig is advertised as Fairport Acoustic and is accompanied with pics of the 4 guys (Simon, Ric, Peggy & Chris). Now if they had said up front Vo was depping for Peggy then no problem and if I'm honest I'll not be to upset if he is depping next month as well. I just think that as performing artists they have a duty to the punters who pay for the tickets to tell them of changes to the evening.

I don't see this as owning them. If that were the case then punters would expect chapter and verse as to why he wasnt playing etc etc. Thats not the case for the average punter. Us lot on here could be viewed as slightly different and yes we do want to know more details. Thats from a concern point of view I would say rather than a "whats the line up" view.

Anyway, reasons aside folks. reviews please, reviews.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »

Anyway, reasons aside folks. reviews please, reviews.

Here's the one Andy & I saw earlier today - from Reinhard Kox (yes, really)

Just a quick note on the first gig of the European tour in Horst/Holland. The location was "De Tiendschuur", a former barn, opposite to the ruins of an old castle. Very nice, but only room for perhaps about 200 people, so I would not be surprised if no other list members where present. The line-up included Gerry Conway, but Dave Pegg was once again replaced by Vo Fletcher, with no further comment on that. There were two one-hour sets, quite similar to the set lists posted on the list earlier this year, including some songs not heard recently like Genesis Hall and The Widow of Westmoreland's Daughter. Also quite a few songs from OTNH, which I liked much more than on CD. According to me, a really rocking show, with the band in top form and obviously in a good mood.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: