TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:19:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50:50@50 Tour  (Read 87439 times)
vince42

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »

A bit late getting on this thread, but thoroughly enjoyed the performance in Glasgow.  I thought Chris was on particularly good form both singing and playing.  Its been good hearing some different tunes and with the addition of a few appropriate guests I look forward with growing excitement to what should be a cracking set to close Cropredy.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 11:48:43 PM »

Worthing tonight.

Usual failure to sell out (or even close). Usual rather stilted audience. And the chaps had spent most of the day stuck in a traffic jam on the M25 so only arrived a few minutes before gig time.

Sally Barker, who I was entirely unfamiliar with (other than once seeing the Poozies at Cropredy many years ago) was terrific. I was completely transported by her set. Transported at least as far as the CD stand that is. I would have paid to see her in her own right.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Fairport so everything that follows is by way of observation, not (for the most part) criticism.

It is a very mellow and mid paced set list, with surprisingly  little rising to a tempo exceeding the level of toe tapper. It stands in marked contrast to the energetic, pyrotechnic performances of the Maart years that I first experienced.

Simon was the dominant lead vocalist with only 3 or 4 solo lead vocals from Chris, a change from recent tours I thought.

Two of the new songs do stray dangerously close to Daytrip To Bangor territory, even in their live performances. I can see that the bus song is trying to be an update of Angel Delight but it doesn't quite work and as for the other one, PJ Wright should know better.

I have seen them in this venue many times. There used to be young girls dancing dreamily in the aisles by the stage. There are no longer young girls or very much for them to dance to . I was in my mid 20s then. Now I am in my mid 50s. It sort of made me feel old.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »

I was in my mid 20s then. Now I am in my mid 50s. It sort of made me feel old.

And they were in their 30 and 40's and are now in their 60's and 70's now  Undecided

It doesn't have to be like this though, does it?  There are plenty of examples of people of this age playing music with energy and passion.

What a terribly sad review....  Sad

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 08:58:29 AM »

Worthing tonight.

Usual failure to sell out (or even close). Usual rather stilted audience. And the chaps had spent most of the day stuck in a traffic jam on the M25 so only arrived a few minutes before gig time.

Sally Barker, who I was entirely unfamiliar with (other than once seeing the Poozies at Cropredy many years ago) was terrific. I was completely transported by her set. Transported at least as far as the CD stand that is. I would have paid to see her in her own right.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Fairport so everything that follows is by way of observation, not (for the most part) criticism.

It is a very mellow and mid paced set list, with surprisingly  little rising to a tempo exceeding the level of toe tapper. It stands in marked contrast to the energetic, pyrotechnic performances of the Maart years that I first experienced.

Simon was the dominant lead vocalist with only 3 or 4 solo lead vocals from Chris, a change from recent tours I thought.

Two of the new songs do stray dangerously close to Daytrip To Bangor territory, even in their live performances. I can see that the bus song is trying to be an update of Angel Delight but it doesn't quite work and as for the other one, PJ Wright should know better.

I have seen them in this venue many times. There used to be young girls dancing dreamily in the aisles by the stage. There are no longer young girls or very much for them to dance to . I was in my mid 20s then. Now I am in my mid 50s. It sort of made me feel old.

I was at Worthing last night too, agree with pretty much everything Gub's written. A few observations : firstly, it was good to see that Chris has actually brought his fiddle with him on this tour. Secondly, I agree about the new material especially the well-intentioned but misguided Angel Delight update. Thirdly, surely the banjo Matty Groves has had its 5 year lifespan, maybe time for Chris to revert to bouzouki, or dare I say it, fiddle for the tale of rural lust and infidelity ?

The guys played superb twin fiddle renditions of WKWTTG and Fotheringay, but the highlight for me was a transcendent Rising For The Moon with Sally Barker taking the lead vocal. Worth the price of entry alone. Don't know why, but I've also become curiously re-attached to Meet On The Ledge again this year. Overall, on this showing, I'd be very happy to go and see them later in the year and possibly at a certain festival...
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 09:17:38 AM »

Al, Dan , thanks for this.
Really glad you enjoyed Sally. She lives near us and so have watched her for over 25 yrs in local village hall gigs supporting community events. Saw her with Poozies ,and I have loved her stuff for a very long time.
Seeing she hasn't got a discrete spot  at Cropredy I hope she is a main voice as part of Fairports set.
David we don't disagree often but I didn't find Al's review sad, just honest. He did say he enjoyed the gig.
It is a review of where Fairports are now. Still tremendous musicians, comfy in what they are doing and playing gentler songs to an ageing audience.
You are right it is not the band you and I remember..Tempis Fugit.
I am ( nearly) 65 and play out, usually locally these days, about 4 times a week. For them to sustain a tour of that length , in the back of a mini bus, with very few days off , is impressive.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »

David we don't disagree often but I didn't find Al's review sad, just honest. He did say he enjoyed the gig.

I was aiming for wistful rather than sad.

I think the real surprise was the pace of the set. Even this incarnation of the band has always included plenty of up tempo tunes as recently as last year's tour, whether it be Walk Awhile, Festival Bell, I'm Already There, Hexhamshire Lass etc. That was the missing element. There were only really Bring Me Back My Feathers (not a favourite), Eleonor's Dream and Matty to raise the pulse a bit.

I agree with Dan, Fotheringay and Rising were definite highlights.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »

Tunbridge Wells tonight.... really looking forward to it as an appetiser for the summer (tickets safely stored). Having followed many incarnations,venues and styles, Gubs review is pretty much what I'm hoping for, a mature and accomplished set, although as one of those who used to bop in the aisles, perhaps a wistful nod towards good old fashioned folkROCK wouldn't be unwelcome....
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 10:08:57 AM »

I think the real surprise was the pace of the set. Even this incarnation of the band has always included plenty of up tempo tunes as recently as last year's tour, whether it be Walk Awhile, Festival Bell, I'm Already There, Hexhamshire Lass etc. That was the missing element. There were only really Bring Me Back My Feathers (not a favourite), Eleonor's Dream and Matty to raise the pulse a bit.

Perhaps they are saving their energy for a long, up tempo night in August!

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

Well, when you're all seventyish, perhaps once a year in the summer is all you can muster!  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »

Well, when you're all seventyish, perhaps once a year in the summer is all you can muster!  Smiley

Ooer missis!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »

All? Don't let Chris and  Ric hear you say that  Wink

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »

David...in this line-up, they play what they have played music-style wise for the last decade. You are beginning to sound very parrot-like....can you mot find anything new to say? Sorry, but personally speaking, We know what you would like them to play and hearing you say you're disappointed again and again?...

Dan O and GubGub have summed up very well.

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »

All? Don't let Chris and  Ric hear you say that  Wink

Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »

Had a lovely evening at Tunbridge Wells, pretty much as expected, which was a delight. Sorting out tickets for next series of gigs... found FC @TW... obviously bought early, forgot, panicked, bought again.... DOH!! Definitely losing it, just hope I can fend off the senility till august!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 08:33:50 PM »

I have a spare ticket  for Southport this Friday (10th) row M face value £20. (Josh is working ☹️) Anyone interested? (IM me if you are )

Cheers
Mike

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »

An enjoyable show at Southport on Friday night. I particularly liked 'Rising for the moon' with Sally Barker on

here's the setlist

Sally barker

01. Ghost girl
02. Two heart
03. Talk about money
04. Emperor of cool
05. Sleepy eyes
06. I'm not whole (with Fairport Convention)

Fairport Convention

07. Our bus rolls on
08. Genesis Hall
09. Devil's work
10. Now be thankful
11. Danny Jack's reward
12. Summer by the Cherwell
13. Who knows where the time goes
14. Bring me back my feathers

15. Sir Patrick Spens
16. Fotheringay
17. Rising for the moon (w. Sally Barker)
18. Portmerion
19. The naked highwayman
20. Farewell farewell
21. The hiring fair
22. Eleanor's dream
23. Matty Groves

24. Meet on the ledge
PJayBe

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »

Let's hope Burnley is good tomorow then!!!!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 06:52:02 AM »

Does the current band play Now Be Thankful regularly?

Who sings it?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »

Who sings it?
Chris sings it, and his voice is well suited to it.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »

Who sings it?
Chris sings it, and his voice is well suited to it.

Agreed. Chris sings it very well, as he has since the XXXV tour and album in 2002.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: