TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 15, 2024, 09:03:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson: Sweet Warrior  (Read 86986 times)
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2007, 02:20:52 PM »

Ok I've had it awhile I've listened to it a number of times and have to admit I prefer Front Parlour Ballads.

It just seems a little RT by numbers music is very nice but not as immediate as earlier albums maybe it will grow on me.

A patchy album after  the last two/three great ones though can be forgiven but it is no Mock Tudor.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »

Oddly, I have never warmed to Front Parlour Ballads, apart from Let It Blow. But I agree, from what I have heard it does not seem as immediate as The Old Kit Bag. Another Mock Tudor might be too much to hope for though.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »

I've played it a few times now, and it fails to grab me.  There are too many ideas inthere musically that remind me of other songs that he's done.  Disappointing, really, but that's because we are usually spoiled by Mr Thompson.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2007, 04:40:47 PM »

Lacks a certain starkness as well.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2007, 05:07:28 PM »

Is it me, or is there a lot more mandolin on this album compared to previous ones (sorry, don't have much recent back catalouge)?

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like the Saxaphone on the two tracks that it features on (Bad Monkey and another)?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2007, 05:11:36 PM »

I've played it a few times now, and it fails to grab me.  There are too many ideas inthere musically that remind me of other songs that he's done.  Disappointing, really, but that's because we are usually spoiled by Mr Thompson.

I agree with all that's said above....  still better than 95% of everything else released this year of course....just not as great as we might have hoped...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2007, 09:48:55 PM »

Oddly, I have never warmed to Front Parlour Ballads, apart from Let It Blow. But I agree, from what I have heard it does not seem as immediate as The Old Kit Bag. Another Mock Tudor might be too much to hope for though.

Funny how opinions can be so sharply divided: a friend who is a real RT nut sold Mock Tudor within days of acquiring it and it adamant this is the worst RT album ever!!

Thank Drunk I'm God
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2007, 11:03:02 PM »

Sounds alright to me so far- need more time to listen to it though. Incidentally, if buying it in B....rs chain music book and music store for a tenner, look out for a "double" of Springsteen's "Nebraska" and "The Ghost of Tom Joad" for £6.99 for the packaged-together pair. It was in their Norwich branch yesterday, anyway.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »

Funny how opinions can be so sharply divided: a friend who is a real RT nut sold Mock Tudor within days of acquiring it and it adamant this is the worst RT album ever!!

That seems a bit bizarre. I can't see how, if they like Amnesia or Daring Adventures for example, they would not like Mock Tudor. But each to their own I guess.
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2007, 12:22:04 PM »

Well, Mock Tudor is my fav RT album, with my fav RT song (Cooksferry Queen). I think Kit Bag is kind of ok in parts, FPB is very weak, and SW is brilliant. I'd dispute that it was RT by numbers, sure, it has the same style as previous albums but that's only to be expected.
Trawling the net for other opinions I've found someone who likes Mock Tudor but complains the drumming is 'too simple'. One person's simple another's subtle, one man's meat etc.
I've got a lot of friends who like RT but aren't committed fans, and to a man and woman their fav is Hand of kindness, covered in Sax.

Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2007, 12:41:04 PM »

Some of you might be interest in this, three live RT performances - the video quality is piss poor but the sound is good - Man, can that guy play and sing.

http://www.richardthompson-music.com/catch_of_the_day.asp?id=746
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2007, 02:09:04 PM »

current view: musically excellent, lyrically slight patchy: "Tin Pan Alley" in "Too late.."?
the suicide terrorist in "Guns.." who would have jumped free but was worried about scraping his knees? But RT's patches are worth most people's highlights.

Why so great? My example "Poppy Red": by most people, this would simply  be a lament for a dead lover. RT's slightly sinister delivery gives you the option of inferring that the protagonist might have been involved in the demise.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2007, 04:27:26 PM »

Why so great? My example "Poppy Red": by most people, this would simply  be a lament for a dead lover. RT's slightly sinister delivery gives you the option of inferring that the protagonist might have been involved in the demise.

Probably my favourite track too - Unfortunatley I have not had much opportunity to really get into the CD yet, but on first couple of listenings it appears to be good but not great.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2007, 05:14:06 PM »

That seems a bit bizarre. I can't see how, if they like Amnesia or Daring Adventures for example, they would not like Mock Tudor. But each to their own I guess.

More to the point, how can someone prefer Mirror Blue to Mock Tudor??  Anyway, I have learnt over the years that conventional wisdom goes out the window with music tastes.  Must get round to listening to SW - copy arrived yesterday with autographed cover booklet..nice..

Thank Drunk I'm God
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2007, 09:31:46 PM »

on first couple of listenings it appears to be good but not great.

Having now taken a proper listen I think I concur with that. I'm not sure why it is. The whole thing sounds right but some of the songs are just not that memorable. I had the same sensation with the new Ian Hunter album a couple of weeks ago. There are some honourable exceptions though, chief amongst them Dad's Gonna Kill Me which reminds me of Rolling Thunder era Dylan and Guns Are The Tongues in which I can hear echoes of the late, great Warren Zevon. I suspect the album will grow on me but it is not in the top rank of his RT's work.

More to the point, how can someone prefer Mirror Blue to Mock Tudor??

I know where you are coming from here. I found Mirror Blue quite hard work when it first came out but it has grown on me a great deal over the years and in Mascara Tears & Mingus Eyes contains two of my very favourite RT songs.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »

THe first thing that struck me is that the songs are all of a similar tempo...

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »

THe first thing that struck me is that the songs are all of a similar tempo...
Which one? ISTM the tempos are all different on SW.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but SW grabbed me from the start and has steadily grown on me since the first listen.
Yes, the point could be made that certain tracks are "too" reminiscent of tracks from earlier albums, but couldn't the same be said about individual tracks from those earlier albums? I prefer to think that he's building on what came before, rather than accuse him of recycling.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »

Some friends of me went to an 'instore' at Amoeba Records in LA last night - Thompson/Thompson/Jerome/Zorn, 7 tracks all from the new album, and ir went down great. I suspect that the new stuff may sound better with a bit of live 'muscle' behind it.

One of them works for the US record company, apparently SW sold 7000 copies in the first week (in the US), which I'm told is good going.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2007, 01:17:03 PM »

Just checked Radio 1 Album chart and it is in with a bullet at number 39
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »

More to the point, how can someone prefer Mirror Blue to Mock Tudor??  

Er, because they like the songs better? Mirror Blue is easily my favourite RT album - but then not everyone will agree. Song by song, Beeswing, Mingus Eyes, Mascara Tears, The Way that it Shows, King of Bohemia, it's as good as anything he's done.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: