TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:13:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bruce Rowland & Phil Collins  (Read 5116 times)
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« on: December 02, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »

I've been listening to Phil Collins' autobiography in the car, which is actually very good.

It transpires that, in the late 60's young Collins knew Bruce R and, in fact, bought his drum kit from Bruce. Collins says that he still has that kit to this day.  It seems that they were quite friendly, and Phil took advice from Bruce on various drumming techniques.  

Their friendship was strong enough for Phil to play Bruce the demo of the first song he ever wrote and sang himself.  Apparently Bruce liked it very much, and was the first person to tell Phil that he should be a singer, rather than a drummer.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:31:27 PM »

Apparently Bruce liked it very much, and was the first person to tell Phil that he should be a singer, rather than a drummer.

I forgive him. Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 02:02:11 AM »

Apparently Bruce liked it very much, and was the first person to tell Phil that he should be a singer, rather than a drummer.

I forgive him. Smiley

Alright now the 80's are long behind us I can admit I like Phil's voice, I even like his pop songs and, I also have enjoyed Bruce Rowlands drumming.

I am mellowing

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:41:13 AM »

Just for nerdy completionists (me  Huh) , Phil's first vocal effort with Genesis was in "For Absent Friends" on Nursery Cryme (1971)

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:32:51 PM »

Just for nerdy completionists (me  Huh) , Phil's first vocal effort with Genesis was in "For Absent Friends" on Nursery Cryme (1971)

He also sings a few tracks on his earlier band's album in 1969 -- Flaming Youth's "Ark 2." I haven't heard it in years, but I remember liking it quite a bit!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: