TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:22:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FC @ Isle of Wight Folk Festival?  (Read 6423 times)
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« on: September 25, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »

Did I miss the thread?

Were they there?

Did I imagine the whole thing?

Did anyone go?

How was it?

Mods - delete if I'm being a muppet again...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »

You didn't imagine it they were playing last Sunday! As for any more info ......... Undecided

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:43:04 PM »

they were playing with the full electric five piece band.....we need more news!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 08:23:17 PM »

I've heard it was a storming night from someone who weas there, with music being played afterwards, if I understand correctly, in the bar.

Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:33:57 PM »

Just got back from a mini holiday on the Island. Yes it certainly was a storming night in Ventnor, we took two of our daughters with us.......review from offspring :- Very entertaining and amusing set, one of the jokes will now be entered in their repertoire (Simon's underwater sponge joke) their highlights were 'Hiring Fair' (which neither of them had heard before) and 'Matty Groves', they both decided that the favourite song of the night was Chris's  'Already There'.  Oh and a further highlight - Simon's guitar string breaking.........hmmm!

As for me, I always enjoy everything.....being magically transported to a worthier place for a couple of hours and soaking up glorious music.  The set was similar to those we've seen earlier in the year, but this rendition of 'Hiring Fair' was particularly fine, and they also played one of my all time favourites 'Now Be Thankful'.  So all in all....... a wonderful evening of musical entertainment.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the session in the bar afterwards, as we left to undertake a long (and as it turned out) rather bracing walk back to the hotel.
SallyC

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:07:29 AM »

It was a crcking night. Lads were on fire and Brav's sound was superb. The set was really rocking and the lads thrived at having an audience who don't get the chance to see them that often. This culminated with a standing ovation at the end. One of the best gigs I've seen of late with the band obviously really enjoying themselves.

Set list included edge of the world, keep on turning the wheel, wood and the wire, now be thankful to name but a few. As for impromptu set in the bar. We were there until 1.30am and all i saw was Peggy breaking into song every 5 mins!

You missed a fantastic night. Well done chaps!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »

Whereabouts in Ventnor was it? I spent many happy weeks there during my teenage years.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Mag T

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »

Whereabouts in Ventnor was it? I spent many happy weeks there during my teenage years.

At the Winter Gardens.  I also spent many happy teenage week-ends on the island, (only on the other side, in the Freshwater area) The Isle of Wight is a very beautiful place, in my opinion, so if ayone has not yet visited, it is well worth the journey, even the ferry ride is lovey. (IoW Tourist Board Smiley)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »

At the Winter Gardens.  I also spent many happy teenage week-ends on the island, (only on the other side, in the Freshwater area) The Isle of Wight is a very beautiful place, in my opinion, so if ayone has not yet visited, it is well worth the journey, even the ferry ride is lovey. (IoW Tourist Board Smiley)

Thanks, getting envious now. We always used to call in at Freshwater on the way in.
Hope they've done up the Winter Gardens a bit though!
Did you know that some of David Essex's That'll Be The Day film was recorded there ?  (File under useless information!)

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Mag T

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »

Thanks, getting envious now. We always used to call in at Freshwater on the way in.
Hope they've done up the Winter Gardens a bit though!
Did you know that some of David Essex's That'll Be The Day film was recorded there ?  (File under useless information!)

Beautiful view from the Winter Gardens, out to sea and beyond.  Inside is very interesting, Art Deco details etc. but I think some of the cobwebs must have been there since the 1930s..... they're amazing  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: